Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danno
Dec 13, 2002

If anyone around here is to be doing the booking, it will be me.

downersteve posted:

Can anybody recommend a good history of the French Revolution? I've always been intrigued by it but there doesn't seem to be too much accessible reading on the subject.
Simon Schama's Citizens is a good choice here. If you've seen his TV programs or read his other stuff you know his style is a bit flowery, but the book is engaging has a wide enough scope to portray the French Revolution in all its confusing complexity. Schama won a number of awards for this years before he became a fixture on TV.

Cactus Jack posted:

The next one, Passage of Power, is supposed to come out this year in May. Caro said the fifth and final one would take take him 2-3 years to write, but who knows when that will get finished.
I'm genuinely excited about this. Caro got some nice puff pieces in Esquire and the NYT Magazine about how laborious a process this has been. If he really does have the research wrapped up, three years isn't an unreasonable timeframe. But above all I want him to finish - the Esquire piece mentions that his will specifically asks that no one finish for him.

If you've liked Years, I also recommend you read Caro's first book, The Power Broker, his biography of Robert Moses, the man who built New York and gave us modern automotive suburbia. The themes are similar, and it basically defined Moses' legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU