Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Trump posted:

I'm looking for some reading about England during the Victorian era. Especially about life in London and in the colonies. It doesn't matter if it's slighty romanticised, aslong as it's not completely inaccurate.

I don't know if that makes any sense :)

Henry Mayhew's London Labour and the London Poor is a really excellent primary text on day-to-day life of Victorian Londoners. Wikipedia describes it, apparently, as almost pedantic in its detail, but that is... ironic, coming from a Wikipedia article.

When I was studying for my Victorian lit comps, there were a few history books assigned as "suggested readings," and of those I liked Richard Altick's Victorian People and Ideas the best, followed closely by Robin Gilmour's The Victorian Period: The Intellectual and Cultural Context of English Literature, 1830-1890.

Some goons recommended The Blood Never Dried: A People's History of the British Empire by John Newsinger, which, judging by its TOC, spends the first half in the 19th century. I haven't started it yet, but it came highly recommended in this thread or another.

I'll also throw out that I think a lot of the primary texts are really good, too, especially Darwin and (certain things) from Marx, to give you an insight into their thinking and the ideas they wrestled with. Plus oodles of fiction, of course.

EDIT: E.P. Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class is also a classic. I've only just started it... it's like 800 pages. It's excellent so far, but I'm not sure it'll get much into "day-to-day life."

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU