Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm currently reading (and loving) Rick Perlstein's Nixonland. Are there any other books like this in terms of historical detail and analysis of an entire culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

TuppingLiberty, for the 60s/70s "Nixonland" (which has been mentioned several times in this thread, for good reason) has a good look at a lot of the protest movements and the government's response to them.

I just finished Dogs of God by James Reston, a book about Ferdinand and Isabella and how they oversaw the Inquisition, Columbus's voyage, and the defeat of the Moors of Granada. I really enjoyed it, not only because it was a pretty easy read and had a lot of interesting personal details about the famous historical figures. I found the time period fascinating - the apocalyptic mindset and the clash of religions especially - and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stuff from the same time period. I do plan on checking out his other books about the Crusades and Galileo, but anything interesting and readable about the 1400-1600 era of Europe would be great.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm reading The Looming Tower right now, which is a history of Al-Qaeda. It does have a narrow focus, but it brings in a lot of the unrest in the Middle East and what led to the more radical groups coming to the fore. There's also some stuff about the US CIA/FBI agents trying to track Bin Ladin down, but most of the book gives a pretty decent picture of the Middle East from the 60s on.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Can anyone suggest any history books that would be appropriate for a middle school reader? I'm working on a curriculum list for a summer reading program, and we're trying to get nonfiction for the younger levels, but it's proving difficult.