Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Looking for a good history of The Troubles in Northern Ireland, with a particular focus on the Provisional IRA and other Republican groups. Doesn't have to cover the whole period but prefer a broad focus rather than a biography or something similar. Bonus points if it's available on Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Crewmine posted:

How far back to you want it to go? Pre-war Fenianism and the Irish Republican Brotherhood sort of time, or the beginnings of the more recent troubles?

EDIT: Actually who cares. It's been a year or so since I read about it, but I remember The Provisional IRA by Patrick Bishop and Eamonn Mallie, The Long War by Brendan O'Brien, and Provos: The IRA and Sinn Fein by Peter Taylor were all pretty good for the slightly more recent stuff.

Was looking for post-civil war stuff ya, thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

DeceasedHorse posted:

I am curious as to why you would assert the US Army performed 'terribly' during the same war? Please note I agree with you that Band of Brothers isn't exactly a deep historical work. The us army had its problems: The Sherman tank was rather badly outclassed by 44 (although not as badly as is sometimes portrayed-it was certainly comparable to the late model long barrel panzer 4s that made up roughly half the strength of the panzerwaffe) and that the system of introducing replacement soldiers to combat divisions was flawed (particularly when combined with a shortage of replacement caused by assigning low priority for the infantry) but It is my impression that the army performed credibly after the Normandy breakout one the logistical limitations imposed by the nature on and intercontinental limitation are taken into consideration. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter however.

Ya I wouldn't agree with the assertion that the US Army performed terribly either. Especially if you consider it in relative terms with the performances of the other Allies. I mean look at France and even the UK (Market Garden, Italy, the first half of North Africa -- basically Monty sucked). The US Army in a lot of ways, especially on a small unit level, was a new institution that made it up as it went along and did pretty drat well considering.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

chrmnbill posted:

On the subject of Alastair Horne, I really liked A Savage War of Peace. It's about the French war in Algeria and the downfall of the Fourth Republic. It was probably written a bit too close to the events (1977) and definitely spends a lot of time drawing parallels to the Troubles in Ireland, but it's still very informative.

Can't recommend this book enough, even if you aren't particularly interested in France or Algeria. It's a classic.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Tiger Crazy posted:

Can anyone recommend me something on the Ottomans? I pretty much know jack and poo poo about that period of time. I would like to know more about their conquests and fighting with the Byzantines as well, another area of history I have sorely overlooked.

Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Sea-Battle-Lepanto-Contest/dp/0812977645 by Roger Crowley isn't strictly about the Ottomans, it's about their struggles in the 16th century Mediterranean, but it's a really great read about a part of history I didn't know a ton about before reading it.