Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

sc0tty posted:

Can anybody recommend a good introductory book to Ancient Egypt? I will be travelling to Egypt in a few months and would love to learn some more about the major places and people that I might encounter in the major museums, palaces and sight seeing.

I'd second this request as well. I've heard good things about Wilkinson's The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt but I've been hesitant to jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

KingBee18 posted:

Orlando Figes " A Peoples tragedy: A history of the Russian revolution" is a fairly good read and comprehensive book outlining events from 1891 to 1924 (lenins death). Now he is extremely pretentious and sometimes the book jumps suddenly into a particular debate of academia, so its style changes. Mostly he uses alot of first hand sources to tell the story of the past for him, but these are not always fact checked and some of his assertions otherwise dont stand up. Hes a scummy author- caught rating other history books 1 star on amazon with bad reviews, but 5 stars and praise for his own! Overall however he presents a deep and fresh populist interpretation of the "communist" revolution which shook the world.

Is there something else you would recommend that covers more or less the same subject and time frame?