Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to take a class on Chinese history, in which we used Spence's The Search for Modern China as a major textbook. I greatly enjoyed reading through that, but regret that the class never looked into pre-modern Chinese history. Are there any books with similar scale/depth/feel covering ancient and medieval Chinese history?

I know that Spence's Yale colleague, Valerie Hansen, appears to have put out The Open Empire: A History of China to 1600 to presumably serve as a spiritual companion, but I don't have a good sense about the book's quality (from the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere).

In a similar vein, I have not come across a good listing of well-regarded and readable books on Indian history. I've come across a few that could be good, like Keay's India: A History and Wolpert's India and A New History of India, but I haven't really been able to decipher any qualitative differences between them that might make one better than the other, based on the reviews (outside of a complaint or two that Keay is a bit dry). Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU