Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Picked this up by chance on holiday. An excellent narrative history on the end days of the Roman Republic, this one got me started on reading about Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

And Stalingrad by Antony Beevor has a very good reputation, though I've personally never read it so I can't in good conscience recommend it.

I can recommend Stalingrad, it's a good book to start reading about Eastern Front. It covers both German and Soviet sides.

I can also recommend Ordinary Men, but like was said it's not military history but more of a study of Holocaust and psychology of men.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I can also recommend his Vietnam book, it seemed to be objective and cover many viewpoints, at least from European readers perspective.

I just finished his "Nemesis", which is about Pacific theater 1944-1945. It really enforced how screwed Japan was during the last 12 months of the war.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I liked People's tragedy on audible as a casual listener, but I don't know anything about the author. Aparrently he had some Amazon review controversy that was mentioned in Wikipedia, but is he discredited somehow? The book has won many awards, which is why I picked it up.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

I gifted myself the huge, illustrated version of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and wanted to *humblebrag* some pics here:

That looks great! I got the paperback last week and while the book is great, the pictures are poor quality, many of the maps are practically unreadable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's not US Navy exactly, but Destroyer captain by Hara is pretty great read