Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm looking for a World War I book that focuses on the political/cultural aspects of the war. It seems like most basic overviews spend a disproportionate amount of time on the battles and military startegies.

To end all wars, by Adam hochschild is quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Stolennosferatu posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for recent political/economic history? I just read 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople. The background history stuff was interesting, but I didn't really like how in depth he got with the siege. I don't want to know the ebb and flow of particular battles. Nor do I want a book that dives into profiles of individual politicians.
Right now I'm looking at three books to read next, based on earlier recommendations.
A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin , The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark, and The Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenam.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for modern French history?

Hobsbawm's books about the economic and political history of the world beginning in 1789 and onwards might be up your alley. He's gotten some criticism about his lack of critique of communism's deeds in the twentieth century, but they're still worth reading.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Are there any good books about the Holy Roman Empire? Since it existed for such a long period of time I understand that it's quite hard to cover every aspect of its history, so I am mostly looking for an overview. But the more details, the better!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's a pretty general category. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

LionYeti posted:

I love The Emperor of All Maladies its a book all about the history of Cancer. Its a big book but very compelling, it won the Pulitzer for a reason.

I might be talking out of my rear end here, since I haven't read the book, but based on the reviews I've read it might not be the most methodological up-to-date book on medicine and diseases. It seems to fall squarely into the more popular teleological historical category?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I am looking for books covering the Napoleonic wars (and everything around that time) and/or the 19th century, especially the various great powers. I have read Hobsbawm's series, but anything else is welcomed. I know it's a really broad question and two really complex periods so the books don't have to cover everything happening during that time.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone got a recommendation on a good book concerning the Weimar Republic?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

clean ayers act posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before but I've realized my knowledge of the Afghanistan war (U.S.) is basically poo poo and I'm wondering if there are any good books that cover it from the beginning to more or less the past couple of years?

There's this https://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Enemy-America-Afghanistan-2001-2014/dp/0544046692 which I liked but it's more on the journalistic side and quite argumentative. But an engrossing and quick read.