Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

baw posted:

. . . for me the most interesting thing is how the Nazis came to power and were able to brainwash so many people in a modern and industrial country.

If there is anything more in-depth that you think I'd be interested in, please post it here. I'm always on the lookout for more. The most I've read of the interbellum period have been the accounts in general histories of the Third Reich, and if you could recommend anything that focuses on those years it would be pretty cool too.

Sorry to be so late to post on this. Is Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich no longer the first source for these questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

The Erland posted:

On to more serious discussion, could anyone recommend any books on the Yugoslav wars?

Do you mean the most recent which reduced the former Yugoslavia to its component parts?

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

The Erland posted:

Oh, bit of a language barrier there for me I guess. Yes, I do.

The standard, even definitive, starting point (in English) is probably "Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation" by Laura Silber & Allan Little. It is contemporaneous with and describes how the breakup takes place. I have seen it criticized for being anti-Serb but the facts are what they are - see what you think.

Second, "The Fall of Yugoslavia" by Misha Glenny. Again contemporaneous with the events and has been described as more balanced that Silber's book but criticized for blaming all parties even pro-Serb. You just have to see for yourself.

These two works are for the most part limited to the immediate events leading up to and immediately following the start of hostilities and neither could be described as polemical. There is a whole library of general Balkan history ranging from the Ottomans through to the present. However, these two answer your specific request.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Can anyone recommend good books about

1. The Bosnian War — particularly the massacres that occurred

2. Genocide in general — books that detail the genocides throughout history, and I'm especially interested in books that try to examine why they keep happening

This is from a page and a while back but he deserves a more complete answer. That answer is, of course:

http://www.amazon.com/Problem-From-Hell-America-Genocide/dp/0465061516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407126215&sr=8-1&keywords=a+problem+from+hell

To your second point, Powers's tome is and will be for some time the go-to source for "Genocide in general". Her bibliography, whose length one reviewer compared to a small book, includes many sources addressing your first request. Just noticed this is a 2013 edition so it's current.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

cebrail posted:

I asked for a comprehensive book about the Yugoslav Wars a while ago, and I'm fairly sure there is no such thing.
Does anyone here know a decent book about any specific war, ideally Bosnia or Kosovo? Are there any good books about anything when it comes to the fall of Yugoslavia and the wars?

As far as I know you are correct, there is no comprehensive single volume on the dissolution of the Former Yugoslavia.

Start here: http://www.amazon.com/Yugoslavia-Death-Nation-Laura-Silber/dp/0140262636/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=138ZRR5G1E0SMYKZCW0N

Follow that with the Glenny book recommended upthread. Then read Endgame, by David Rohde. By now, if you're using Amazon, you'll have all sorts of ways to go. Avoid Robert Kaplan.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Don't remember the post but it could have been 1177 B.C. the Year Civilisation Collapsed by Eric Cline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Way back in the day we used Riasonovsky's A History of Russia (now authored by Steinberg since R's death) and so far as I can see it's still the state of the art, single-volume history of Russia from Kievan Rus to Putin(?- Latest publication date shows as 2018 on Amazon). Anyway, given your request I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it - maybe it's an issue of cost (f'ing pricy).