Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dublish posted:

* through ~1100

Fair, though I'm sure he'll finish it. Also it's just gotten to the Crusades, and there are more books for that period--though they often ignore the ERE too.

SubG posted:

I liked Vasilev's two-volume Byzantine history, but I don't know how it stands among Byzantine scholars.

I haven't read it, but it was published in 1958 so I'd class it with Norwich's work. However, its issues are probably different since Russian scholarship doesn't ignore the ERE the same way western history does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's all Soong-type in the end, isn't it?

I have been waiting a day to figure out a joke in this vein

This is the post you should've probated yourself for. :getout:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Monarchs, famous for never being power-hungry backstabbing sociopaths. :lmao:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Some hindu nationalist started ranting crazy poo poo on twitter a while back iirc

It wasn't crazy, it was just a hilarious "Did you know that Genghis Khan actually KILLED people???" post like she'd just opened a history book for the first time. And posted a few stories of his cruelty that are dubious. Then people went wild with the jokes and it was lots of fun.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

np19 posted:

I just finished The Making of The Atomic Bomb. It was excellent. Are Richard Rhodes other works as good? Also, apparently I got the 25th anniversary and am missing an entire ending chapter that describes what happened after the dropping of the bombs.

I thought Dark Sun was a lot more fun. It's more of a spy story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm looking for something that describes on the day to day life and operations aboard a modern Navy ship. It's okay if it's not 100% about the crew but I'd like it to be as focused as possible on them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PawParole posted:

give me a book about the occupation of Japan or Germany.

Embracing Defeat for Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd recommend first reading the OG source in Suetonius: https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/Suetonius4.php Bonus is it's free.

Then Caligula by Aloys Winterling, which I will preface with I haven't read it, but from what I've read about it it does a good job of talking about him in context instead of just "lol madman!" poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Looking up Procopius and wikipedia has this:

Procopius, The Secret History, translated by G. A. Williamson. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1966. A readable and accessible English translation of the Anecdota. Recently re-issued by Penguin (2007) with an updated and livelier translation by Peter Sarris, who has also provided a new commentary and notes.

Prokopios, The Secret History, translated by Anthony Kaldellis. Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing, 2010. This edition includes related texts, an introductory essay, notes, maps, a timeline, a guide to the main sources from the period and a guide to scholarship in English. The translator uses blunt and precise English prose in order to adhere to the style of the original text.

Which one is the better?

I haven't read either, but I have read Kaldellis' other books and enjoyed them, so going in blind I'd pick that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always liked Frank Dikötter but i am sure that will start some shitshow here.

The Dikötter books are some of the best scholarship on the period you can get in English. It's all from research done in the brief window when it was possible to get access to CCP archives and such. Any tankie moron telling you his work is trash is best ignored.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pardon my ignorance: what is a tankie and why would they hate a historian? I know nothing about Dikötter and only a little about Mao.

Tankies are left-wing (they claim) authoritarians. They never met a boot they wouldn't lick as long as it waves a red flag. They will argue with you about the greatness of Mao, Stalin, North Korea, etc. Big fans of genocide. They're the worst and make up almost my entire ignore list.

They hate Dikotter because he documented what happened in China under Mao and the ~45 million people dead as a result, but tankies think Mao was good and deny any of that ever happened.

The term originally comes from people who supported the Soviet invasion that crushed the Hungarian revolution in 1956.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When I lived in China one of the grosser things was dudes spit constantly, everywhere, all the time. On sidewalks, on the floor in restaurants, in hospitals. The record was when I waited at a bus stop for five minutes and the dude there spit seventeen loogies in that period. I haven't spit seventeen times in my entire life. The government has constant campaigns trying to get people to stop it but nobody cares. I wonder if covid made a change there.

Anyway her Mao book is definitely with an agenda (with the caveat that Mao was trash so it's not wrong to write a book about him being trash) but Wild Swans is great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hate when I get an interest in something and the last comprehensive work in English was in like 1925. I still read it since :shrug: but it's annoying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've been notified I have four audible credits gathering dust so hit me with your favorite recent history books. Good pop history, academic is awful to listen to. I'm interested in most things but would prioritize ancient Mediterranean, pre-colonial Africa, pre-Columbian Americas, and East Asia at the moment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Let me clarify that recent history books means recent publish, not modern. Though Cold War is the one modern I'm into so I'll look that one up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I return in search of East Germany. I've read Stasiland and have The People's State by Mary Fulbrook. Most of the stuff I find seems to be Berlin focused and I'm really looking for more about life in the DDR than Cold War politicking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, there's no evidence of humans that long ago. The oldest reliably dated stuff is about 16,000 years, and there was the discovery in Mexico recently of what may be stone tools about 30,000 years old, but that one's still controversial. We're not even sure homo sapiens had left Africa by 130k, let alone gotten to the Americas.

Humans getting to the Americas well before the Clovis culture is not controversial though. I don't think 1491 does Clovis first, that was discredited decades ago, but I can't say I remember that level of fine detail. In any case, both Americas and prehistoric archaeology are rapidly developing right now so if you're reading a book published more than even like five years ago on those subjects, you have to keep that in mind. Doesn't mean you shouldn't read them, just be aware that it's a fast changing field.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone know a good book about pre-colonial Burma? I'm interested after reading a pretty incredible mic drop from a Burmese general after defeating a Qing invasion, and I know nothing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My only guess is that it’s just too difficult and broad a subject to try and write a bestseller on

It's this. One of the problems of writing modern history is there is so much primary source material to draw on that you drown in it. It's a lot easier to handle if you focus on a specific topic instead of trying to do a broad narrative of something like all of Soviet history.

It's not like ancient history where you can decide "I'm gonna write the history of Thebes" then read literally every single word ever written about Thebes that survives.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are there any good books focused on Civil War naval battles? There's like five billion ACW books but I don't think I've seen one. Usually there's just a discussion of the ironclad battle and the blockade and that's it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's a good single volume on the first Gulf War?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know what "overly westernized" means but I liked it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I honestly think the fact Trump hasn't said it at a rally to make himself sound cool is the best evidence the government had nothing to do with JFK's assassination/have aliens/whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

blue squares posted:

I finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. It was one of the best history books I have ever read: sweeping, intensely detailed, total in its scope and harrowing in its devastating conclusion.

What should I read next? I want to read another detailed work like it, probably about a scientific process that was majorly impactful to the world. Perhaps there is something comparable that is about NASA/getting to the moon? I'm open to things not just about science, but other sorts of massive projects that were important, shaped by and shaping the times in which they happened.

An obvious follow up is Dark Sun, Rhodes' book about the development of the hydrogen bomb. It also covers the Soviet espionage campaign to steal nuclear technology so it has a spy thriller vibe, I liked it more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looking for some good books about the Triads, preferably stuff about both the original Heaven and Earth Society history and modern day groups. I haven't read anything focused on them that I can remember.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FPyat posted:

I have a lack of books about modern Japan that aren't narrowly focused on the years 1941-45, other than Embracing Defeat.

Any particular period/subject? I have a bunch I can rec if you can narrow it down. I'm taking "modern" here to mean Meiji restoration to today. Or I can just list all the ones I liked if you want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FPyat posted:

Anything that gives me more understanding of the local differentiation of particular islands, regions, and cities would be of particular interest. Another question that captures my curiosity is why Japanese politics went so terribly wrong in the 1920s.

I'd second the Brix Hirohito book then. I don't think I've ever seen anything on the first subject. Joy Hendry might be of interest, I haven't read her books yet but she did some close anthropological studies in the Japanese countryside.

I'm enjoying this book a lot, it's mostly interviews with day laborers around 1990. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/71020.San_ya_Blues There's some stuff about other areas in Japan since a lot of the people came from all over to find work. Very different view of society than most books.

This is Tokyo centric but if you want to understand more about why Japanese cities are the way they are, it's the best I've read. https://oroeditions.com/product/emergent-tokyo

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 18, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unfortunately Dreadnaught only touches on the actual naval arms race and especially the technological development. It’s just not that kind of book, it’s really a general leadup to WWI book. Castles of Steel is very in-depth with the WWI naval war though.

Yeah, I finally got around to starting it yesterday and it's interesting, but so far it has gently caress all to do with ships. From the contents it looks like maybe eventually it will.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It's not a book, but the latest season of the Tides of History podcast is precisely this. He's just covered up to the Bronze Age Collapse, emergence of Iron Age Rome and China is next.

I was also going to recommend this. It's about the most up to date and comprehensive thing on global prehistory out there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Reset Smith posted:

I'm interested in knowing more about 20th Century China. Are the Frank Dikotter books considered a good source on that era?

They are the definitive source for the period he covers, yeah. He did the research during a fairly brief window when some researchers were allowed to read internal Chinese records, I don't know of anyone else who had the kind of access to source material that he managed. And yes they are not a fun and happy read.

Tombstone by Yang Jisheng is also very good if you want another specific one on Mao's famine. Dikotter's books cover a wider time period.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah that's true, if you're looking for general knowledge you need more. Anything by Spence is good.

I have read kind of a lot of contemporary China books, some more recs of things I liked. A lot of these are more personal or "journalist talks to people" kind of stuff instead of academic histories.

Heaven Cracks, Earth Shakes, James Palmer
The Emperor Far Away, David Eimer
Peter Hessler's books
Age of Ambition, Evan Osnos
Factory Girls, Leslie Chang
Eating Bitterness, Michelle Loyalka
Wild Swans, Jung Chang
Red China Blues, Jan Wong

These are 19th century but much of what happens in the 20th is triggered by the 19th.

Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom, Stephen Platt
God's Chinese Son, Jonathan Spence
China's Last Empire: The Great Qing, William Rowe

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 12, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And it's extraordinarily rare to get good scholarship out of China since you're not allowed to publish accurate history. Tombstone is one of those rare exceptions, you'll be shocked it's banned in the mainland. Used to be able to do good work in Hong Kong but uh.

I found this post when looking for warlord era, I have not read any of these but given the source it's probably not a bad list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/gbpmm4/books_about_the_warlord_era_in_china/

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 12, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yang Jisheng's work is equally good. But it's not like there's a fundamentally different take or anything. All that stuff happened, it's well documented, plenty of living people remember it. Even the Party eventually admitted it happened during reform and opening in the 80s, though I wouldn't go talking about it today. There's not really a moral position you can arrive at other than disdain for the people who were responsible for tens of millions of deaths. Anything else would be denialism.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

It's not denialism to say that Frank Dikotter, a leader of the Victims Of Communism foundation which explicitly includes and mourns the Nazis in its count of victims, has a bad faith perspective on the reasons behind certain actions that Mao and co took which is often just "they were so drat evil and didn't want people to be free", and it comes through in his writing. I'm not denying any of the outcomes and I don't have any chapters off the top of my head that I disagree with. I gave the example of Kotkin, who calls Stalin "the despot" every second paragraph, as a historian with a right wing background and perspective who is better able to recognize his own ideology and put his subjects actions in proper context.

I haven't read Tombstone yet but I'm also interested in this topic and open to recommendations.

Hadn't heard about that, I know nothing about the dude beyond his work. Personally I don't care, not interested in defending everything he's ever said and he wouldn't be the first guy with some lovely political opinions to do good history. But if you do care then just read Yang, it's fine.

There aren't any other great recommendations for the topic in English really since nobody else has had access to the sources they did. And nobody will again for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're good with audio, the Revolutions podcast did an 1848 series. And here's his bibliography: https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/revolutions_podcast/bibliography.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lottie posted:

And I haven't looked into Turtledove beyond seeing his name; isn't he just contributing to the false validity of pseudohistory/archaeology?

No? He's a historian who writes fiction. If you pick up a Turtledove book and it convinces you alien lizards actually invaded Earth during WW2 that's on you, not him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unfortunately I must inform you that at least in the Greek case, neither of you can win or lose this argument because there was a wide range of opinion.

Generally speaking the idea that anybody could just go stab a god was not a thing. Gods were corporeal beings who could in principle be wounded or killed by attack, but only by special people who themselves generally were part divine. Uranus is the only full on god who was killed as far as I can remember. That was done by other deities though, not mortals.

Demigods are a different story and a bunch of them are killed in stories, like Herakles or Achilles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

teacup posted:

Looking for a decent podcast on the history of Persia - not sure if there is one overarching one or if there’s podcasts on seperate ones on various empires. Just one from Islam on would be fine although I would love earlier as well.

Same question but also for chinese history.

Basically looking for decent narrative style podcasts like history of Rome did for Rome.

The History of China will do you for China, still ongoing, currently in the Ming. The History of Persia podcast unfortunately stopped making episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

There is literally a book about this called 1491.

It's a great book. Do keep in mind that pre-Columbian archaeology is a very active and fast moving field so there have been changes since 1491 came out, but it's still the best single volume out there on the subject IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I enjoyed them as novels but if you're looking at them as history, they have a lot of issues. I don't know as much about Tai-pan, but Shogun in particular takes most of what it gets right about Japan from the Edo period, rather than when it's set.

The basic plot about an English pilot who got stranded in Japan and became a samurai and hatamoto of Tokugawa Ieyasu was real though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot)