Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Silver2195 posted:

I think there was an interesting companion book by someone that went into detail about what was surprisingly true, what was orientalist silliness, and what was somewhere in-between.

Yeah it's complicated, if you want to get into it in depth there are analysis essays online too. But if you just want to read a story that has enough detail to feel right, I thought it was good. The TV miniseries is too. It doesn't have any subtitles for the Japanese until the main character learns enough to understand which was a cool detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Be prepared to read about a level of horror you may never have encountered before. The eastern front is a top pick for worst place to be, ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I’m reading Six Frigates. It’s extremely good. I’m not going to let this turn me into a boat guy.

Avast, your mainbrace has already been spliced.

VostokProgram posted:

do NOT read Castles of Steel

Genuinely don't read Dreadnought though. I got like 400 pages into that and dude still was not talking about boats.

(if you're interested in pre-WW1 and not actually anything about boats it's fine though)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am looking for some weird lightish history book. something in the vein of The King of Confidence
A Tale of Utopian Dreamers, Frontier Schemers, True Believers, False Prophets, and the Murder of an American Monarch. like weird hosed up religious history stuff.

The Bloody White Baron, about a Russian noble who decided to take advantage of the chaos of the civil war to try to become the Khan of a new Mongol Empire.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Every word Caesar ever wrote was 100% true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Modern, better books tend to be more specialized. I'd recommend all of these:

The Inheritance of Rome, Chris Wickham.
The Fate of Rome, Kyle Harper.
The New Roman Empire, Anthony Kaldellis (I have not read this yet but all his other stuff is good so I am pretty confident here)
Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood, Anthony Kaldellis.
Alaric the Goth, Douglas Boin.

I would probably start with The New Roman Empire, it's a narrative overview from Constantine to the end.