Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I was curious with Squid Game blowing up if RM would eventually parody it, and it looks like next week's ep is entirely doing just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The volleyball players were all fantastic and the parts with them were as funny as the show has been in a while, but it was really weirdly edited together for some reason. The parts without them on the latest episode were OK but it seems like a strange decision to make eating rich, fatty foods a feature when one of your cast is suffering from entiritis.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/RMPHOfficial/status/1448495046672543746?s=20

weird, no word if it'll get eng subs

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think the biggest hurdle would potentially be music usage? As long as D+ doesn't utilize the wide ranging Korea music rights in the program, then I think there'd be a strong chance they would roll it out to their international D+ portals. (Especially now with Squid Game also blowing up).

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Teaser for the Disney+ Running Man, looks like it will have some actual running around and physical stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysVvMg967xk

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Looks pretty good! Seems like it's going to give Haha plenty of opportunities to ham it up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Centusin posted:

Teaser for the Disney+ Running Man, looks like it will have some actual running around and physical stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysVvMg967xk

This actually looks really good! Like early years Running Man with a lot more physical games. I'm excited for it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's good to see those three branch out into hosting their own shows. I remember how back in the day, it was mentioned how everyone's bodies were in some amount of pain during the show's run so I'm glad to see them being active in these games.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It's funny because in this weeks episode when Se Chan moved Suk Jin's chair causing him to fall I thought Suk Jin might be getting a bit old for that sort of thing now, maybe he quit the e-cig and gained a bit more physical energy back.

Also KJK is involved in some bodybuilding youtuber doping or not doping beef, I wish I knew anything about testosterone levels or bodybuilding to understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckFmO9eLOk

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Last few episodes since the volleyball guests have been a bit meh, but nowhere near the show nadir a few years ago. I'm definitely interested in seeing how D+ Running Man turns out. I wonder if it will actually be more race-focused again or if it's just the marketing, given the cast have as mentioned been pretty open about health issues from RM.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Outrun by Running Man is available in South Korea and parts of South East Asia now. It's weird it's not worldwide given it's fully English subbed with even the on screen captions being in English, maybe just some negotiations going on somewhere for other regions. The actual episode was fine, it's just 40 minutes of nametag elim. First ep was just 7 minutes of talking about the show but they mentioned they'd been talking about doing something like it for about 7 years, I'm surprised Netflix never put something together, would have been a better investment than Busted.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

hey...Busted is.......ok.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks like 2 episodes dropped.

E: oh the first ep is the 7 minute thing, gotcha.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 13, 2021

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I enjoyed the first ep. It felt very much like old-school Running Man, with a bunch of male idols being invited on to play a variation of the name-tag elimination game.

Nothing ground-breaking, but definitely enjoyable and definitely felt like Running Man. One thing I did notice that was funny was that since this spinoff is being put out on Disney+, they don't have the music licenses to use whatever music they want like the main show does, so they basically had to compose legally-distinct music cues for all of the famous Running Man drops, that sounded almost like the original but slightly off.

Looking forward to later episodes!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

qbert posted:

I was curious with Squid Game blowing up if RM would eventually parody it, and it looks like next week's ep is entirely doing just that.
I'm checking this thread for the first time in three years to find this out (though I kinda dropped off the show in the 100s before Gary left), haha.

Was very curious which actors from Squid Game might have been on RM in the early 2010s!

Squid Game was reminding me this exact thread and the show it introduced me is the source of all of my knowledge about South Korea, and it's so wild.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Man, last week's episode disappointed me. I was excited to see Honey J and then sad that she had to leave (she said her asthma was acting up, and you could see in some shots that she was not doing well). I hope there's another opportunity for her to come back.

It's great to see the different dancers and their different styles, but I thought the "dance battle" sections were really weak, because you just have these great dancers accompanied by the cast who had nothing to offer, with the exception of Jong Kook showing off his actual skills and So Min's willingness to go all out and crazy. And then the games they played were really low-energy and cut way down. I would have preferred an episode that wasn't written around dancing and let us see more of the guest's personalities, and maybe something more physical instead of "let's sit down and do a quiz!" I don't think Hone J leaving early impacted the plans of the show beyond 3 teams instead of 4, but I could be wrong.

As an aside, is the set for Street Woman Fighter a repurposed main hall from The Genius? I swear it is.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/soompi/status/1470286125675982854?s=20

Double vaxxed so he'll probably be fine

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Peoples MC will walk it off.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Holy poo poo. I’m sure he’ll be fine health wise, but he’s juggling so many shows I imagine they’re all gonna take a big hit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So in case you haven't been keeping up, the show has hit a few... obstacles.

So Min broke her foot, which kept her in a cast for one episode, and kept her off the next episode for surgery. I believe she's back now, albeit still physically limited, but there are rumors that she'll be leaving the show (Kwang Soo ultimately left due to his foot injury, if you remember).

At the same time, Eunhyuk was one of the guests they had on, who then tested positive for COVID shortly after. All the cast took tests and they came back negative, but Ji Hyo is not vaccinated due to allergies, so she was required to quarantine and was also missing from the same show that So Min was out for. I also believe she's back, buuuuuut...

Now Jong Kook, Suk Jin, Se Chan, and Haha have all tested positive. They all have to quarantine and recover. I also assume Ji Hyo will once again have to quarantine regardless of test results.

While it would be interesting as hell to see how they do a show with just Jae Suk and an injured So Min, I think they have a couple episodes already filmed, and they could probably stretch the editing out to make them multi-part episodes if need be while they wait for everyone to be healthy again. Still, gently caress COVID and I hope everyone gets better soon.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 11, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I thought that Kwang Soo wanted to do other things and the foot injury was a convenient out for him. Somin is a good cast member and it’ll be bad to see her go, if she does leave the show

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I agree that they'll just stretch out what they have.

But I have no doubt that Jae Suk could absolutely carry an episode himself. They could easily slot in some guests. They have a huge roster of friends of the show who would come back in a heart beat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

I thought that Kwang Soo wanted to do other things and the foot injury was a convenient out for him.

He was putting off actually finishing the work needed to be done on his foot, and it was continuing to be a problem for him, so he left the show so he could finally address it.

The thing with a lot of shows in Korea (and I don't really know why), is that nobody ever really takes a "break" from anything. If you need a few weeks or a couple months off of your show to take care of something, you leave and you don't come back. Maybe someone else can explain why this is the case because I never quite understood it myself.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Ji Hyo not being able to get vaccinated probably means if international filming and fanmeets ever return then she won't be able to participate in it, also seems like she will have to do a lot of quarantining over the next year or more because staff and cast are inevitably going to test positive every now and then.

In 2020 Somin was absent from a few episodes because of health reasons so with her there's at least precedent of taking time off, it was when Se Chan and Kwang Soo went to her home to film. I imagine a lot of the never taking a break thing is down to that "we don't want to confuse the viewers" idea a lot of shows seem to have? So they just prioritise cast consistency. Plus there's also probably some variety show precedent thing where the long term guys like Ho Dong, Jae Seok, Jong Min, Haha, Jong Kook don't take time off due to illness or injury so why should someone else get time off.

Outrun by Running Man had it's last episode I think. That was a weird show, there were a handful of good episodes, and some really bad ones.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teek posted:

But I have no doubt that Jae Suk could absolutely carry an episode himself. They could easily slot in some guests. They have a huge roster of friends of the show who would come back in a heart beat.

Bring back DJ Pumpkin!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Disney+ Korea has just revealed a fresh, new lineup of shows coming to viewers in the Asia-Pacific region very soon.

Following the success of the Disney+ Korea original series 'Outrun By Running', the digital streaming platform will be enlisting the help of Yoo Jae Suk, Lee Kwang Soo, and Girls' Generation's Yuri for its next original variety series.

Titled 'The Zone: Endure To Survive' (working title), the brand new mystery variety begins with only one rule: "Survive, no matter what". For each mission, cast members will enter an unknown, virtual reality space through a secret door. No matter what reality they face through the door, they must endure and survive. The project is headed by Jo Hyo Jin PD of 'Family Outing' and 'X-Man', a longtime colleague of Yoo Jae Suk.

it's Yoo Jae Suk and Kwang Soo so it's guaranteed to be good, nice that Yuri is in there too

It's funny that Jo Hyo Jin gets boiled down to Family Outing and X-man PD when he was an original Running Man PD and has done Busted, Twogether and New World since then

KJK's latest video is with Running Man staff, some good behind the scenes chatter such as them assigning him a female PD because he doesn't get as angry at them lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbwmTPCJC8

Centusin fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 3, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

It's kinda strange to me how once Haha, Sukjin and Jong Kook get a show on Disney +, Jae Suk and Kwang Soo get a show on Disney + as well...that maybe similar.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TV Zombie posted:

It's kinda strange to me how once Haha, Sukjin and Jong Kook get a show on Disney +, Jae Suk and Kwang Soo get a show on Disney + as well...that maybe similar.

I'm sure its all arranged very amicably between the various management agencies and middle men, YJS and LKS had a show together on netflix already. They have a good opportunity with the international audience they have so I figure they cater to that too until interest subsides.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Saw on Reddit that The Running Man program that was on Disney+ in Korea is now on Hulu in the US.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know this thread doesn't see much action lately, but this article went up today and I was curious what other people thought of the episodes chosen for this "Best Of" list, for episodes. It's Part 1 of presumably 2, and picks 20 episodes from more or less the first half of RM's library. I found it interesting how only 2 of the episodes from our extremely-outdated list showed up in this list.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/05/a-list-of-the-best-running-man-episodes-part-1

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I know this thread doesn't see much action lately, but this article went up today and I was curious what other people thought of the episodes chosen for this "Best Of" list, for episodes. It's Part 1 of presumably 2, and picks 20 episodes from more or less the first half of RM's library. I found it interesting how only 2 of the episodes from our extremely-outdated list showed up in this list.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/05/a-list-of-the-best-running-man-episodes-part-1

I don't remember most of the first quarter of those honestly it's been like 10 years. I don't recall episode 18 being anything special and the pitch certainly doesn't sound like a best-of either. 26 I do recall vaguely and it's a good pick I think. Tru-Gary show and Yoomes Bond was good. I remember the zombie episode being received well but not liking it as much personally. Find the fangirl and the year-end special were good. Desirable Lee Kwang-Soo was great. Unanimous Race and Maze Runner were good. The two Gary episodes were also quite good.

Overall not too bad picks, only a couple weird picks. Not too weird that most of the ones on our list aren't in, since that list was compiled with only around 100 episodes aired as I recall it. Still, missing episodes 13 and 51 is strange to me, and though I can't remember the numbers there were quite a few other great ones in the first ~350 episodes I would have picked over some of the good ones on that list too.

Going back to current RM, I've found the last few months of episodes to be a bit too formulaic and simple, though as always there are enough funny moments to keep me satisfied. There's a bit too much reliance on the same old games at the moment, as tends to periodically happen with the show. This would be a great time for an injection of something new - the whole 'captain' thing was a decent idea executed alright, but no more than that and didn't really live up to some previous gimmicks. It also didn't last for many episodes by design. Whether that new thing is a recurring theme/competition in style of older races such as the extreme punishment competitions (not that I expect them to have the budget or stomach for that specifically these days) or something else, it feels clear to me that something needs to shake things up soon.

E: Also I checked out a couple episodes of the Disney+ Running Man show and it seemed honestly pretty bad, I basically gave up on it pretty quick, not sure if people liked it/thought it improved though. Not having everyone in each episode kind of ruins the point of RM.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Also I checked out a couple episodes of the Disney+ Running Man show and it seemed honestly pretty bad, I basically gave up on it pretty quick, not sure if people liked it/thought it improved though. Not having everyone in each episode kind of ruins the point of RM.

In terms of not having everyone on, I think that’s intentional as Suk Jin, kim Jong kook and haha were supposed to be the mcs and main characters.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like the first two episodes on that best of list are only there for Joong-ki seo reasons

It's funny going back to watch an old episode of Running Man and remembering that Ji-hyo actually used to talk a decent amount and do things. Like right now if Ji-hyo left the show and they added two new members to replace her and Kwang Soo it would probably make for a much better show with enough new life to carry it a year or two.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now
https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/05/the-best-running-man-episodes-part-2

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like they should have just included episodes with guests in both lists because it's just weird to leave out the Thailand episode in part 1 that kept the show going and the whole Family Package project in part 2

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
huh this weeks episode was good and next weeks also looks like it has potential with more physical games back

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Centusin posted:

huh this weeks episode was good and next weeks also looks like it has potential with more physical games back

The opening game explanation was amazing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

If RM did a no laughing type game, I think it would be pretty well executed and awesome

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Teek posted:

The opening game explanation was amazing.

The opening was great and Somin picking the male stripping dancer actually proved she has the best luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

607 is another stock trading episode and a lot of fun. A lot of forced English because they’re in “New York”. Suk Jin’s initial comment to the English info trader Robin killed me.

Even as a native English speaker, I’m not sure what to make of many of info nuggets they paid for. Having to decipher them is just as well I guess if they translate it wrong.

Teek fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 14, 2022