Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Revenant Threshold posted:

I’ve never heard of the Chicken Fight game before. I don’t know if it’s familiar to those of you in the U.S. or elsewhere, but I’ve never heard of it. It’s appropriately ridiculous, though. Seems like the kind of thing that would get played in school gym classes.

I've never even watched the first episode, but if you're talking about that thing where people hop around on one foot and knock each other over, you see it on Korean TV all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

It aired after that list was made, but for the love of god put episode 74super powers episode into the recommendation list.

Selane
May 19, 2006

qbert posted:

Hopefully you can be comforted, however, by the fact that we're not going to agree on every episode. For example, you said earlier in the thread that you disliked Ep 69, which I personally found fantastic!

The Choi Min-soo episodes were both awesome.

Minsoo: Ok, here's how this is going to work: I'm going to hunt you like an animal for my own amusement, and you're going to like it.
Jaesuk: Yes sir :gonk:

Selane
May 19, 2006

According to the relevant wikipedia pages, EP02 of Running Man aired July 18, 2010 and IY1 ran from the end of 2009 to the end of 2010. Or you could just look at Hara's page, they're actually both listed there with dates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goo_Hara

Selane
May 19, 2006

qbert posted:

Pretty much everyone knew Goo Hara was a solid variety show guest at that point.

Fortunately Hara is one of those people where her personality itself is entertaining, she can just be her dorky self and it's always funny. Which is why she ended up being one of my favorites on Invincible Youth.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Speaking of people with prior variety experience, i'm not surprised they stuffed the first few episodes with experienced people to make sure the show got off to a good start. But had Ji-Hyo been in many such things before this?

Not to my knowledge...I think she was mostly just in dramas/movies/commercials.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The thing I notice most after watching both halves of this is… Jessica’s really not the best of guests. After Goo Ha-Ra last time setting the bar so high for idol guests (not to mention IV), in comparison she’s just not all that interesting here.

Jessica actually has one of the most entertaining personalities out of all the SNSD members, but even her fans(nor she) won't deny her lethargy and lack of athleticism. That's why I found it funny, they literally couldn't have picked someone less suited to this than they did. She was pretty entertaining in episode 63-64, at least. But like I said, her sister inherited all the athletic ability in her family rather than her :v:

And if you think she has a valley girl accent, how would you describe Tiffany? :psyduck:

Khun is always a good guest for these sorts of things, certain idols like he and Minho are pretty well known for their competitiveness. And like you said it's kind of interesting seeing how Jaesuk used to explain some of the tasks himself, but I guess it makes more sense the way it is now. Nowadays what with all the mystery guests and seperate missions it makes more sense for the PD to do it.

edit: Also I watched episode 76 andI didn't think it was as bad as some people said. Granted the initial odds did seem ridiculous(4 guests + 2 spies vs the remaining 5 cast members), but once I realized that it was actually possible for the chasers to get knocked out of the game for once it didn't seem so bad. Some pretty funny parts in there, too. Like when they recruit Kwangsoo and he's like OH MAN GUYS THIS IS GONNA BE SO COOL :haw: Then when they got Jihyo she's just like 'why did you pick Kwangsoo...'.

Selane fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

For the record, I object to the term 'spoiled' being used to describe someone that(like all Korean idols) works 16-20 hours a day 7 days a week. Also, that cucumber thing isn't made up, around 1% or so of people have a weird response to their taste/scent and get really sick from it. It's actually mentioned in the wikipedia article for cucumbers.

She's actually pretty funny since she has a good personality, but exerting herself physically is pretty much #1 on her list of things she doesn't like...so it'd be more accurate to say that Running Man is exactly the type of show she shouldn't be on.

You think that's bad, you should see what she's like when she has to run around and has to deal with a tropical climate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1ZnJraL0I

So sometimes the other members complain too, but hey, everyone has their shortcomings :v:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Also, doesn't Jihyo sort of fill a bigger role than just eye candy? She serves as someone to foil the female guest off of, and just generally does more than eye candy (I suck at writing to describe better). The earlier episodes are before she sort of sheds her dainty/actress image though.

It's funny because like you said her role kind of did a complete reversal. Like look at the episodes we just watched, 4-5 or so. Everyone's like 'yay a pretty girl' and fawns over her. Nowadays she's basically there to establish a baseline female presence. So whenever a female guest shows up Haha or whoever can be like 'boy Jihyo she sure is younger and/or prettier than you how do you feel about that? :v:' just to annoy the poo poo out of her.

Selane
May 19, 2006

doomisland posted:

The song is apparently banned from appearing on TV before 10pm since it is too lewd.

It's not 'lewd' but the video has some pretty amusing suggestive moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rza4xuw6wus&feature=related

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXurKxtN-I&feature=related

Selane
May 19, 2006

The fact that Haha on the tins is only enough to bring him level with Kwang-Soo is hilarious to me.

That was my favorite part of the episode until Kwangsoo missed that tackle on Gary and fell on his face, holy poo poo. I think I laughed at that for like five minutes.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Dis gonna own:

http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/8301873.html

Selane
May 19, 2006

That topic will actually come up in the next episode of the watchthrough(which is great btw).

Selane
May 19, 2006

Basically idols are as much about charisma and personality as anything else. That's why they show up on variety shows and the like so much in the first place. Ironically musical talent is the least important, because all you need for a good song is good songwriters/producers. But no number of competent staff can pull a pretty face or a good personality out of their rear end, so those qualities are generally more important. Rest assured that a group consisting of a bunch of good singers without charisma or looks would fail pretty badly. Pretty much every group is seeded with a few strong vocalists and dancers(which is all it really takes), and the rest filled in by the visual/personality types. Like I said though, those guys are pulling at least as much weight as the rest, so there's not really anything wrong with that.

Anyway, the purpose of creating idols can be summarized thusly: A person that likes an artist's music will buy their music. A person that likes the artist themself will buy not just their music, but anything else the company releases related to them, including poo poo like DVDs, photobooks, etc...and that's just extra money for the company.

Selane
May 19, 2006

El Graplurado posted:

Well here's the best news i'll hear today:

gently caress. YES.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

When did the previous one air? I know she was on with Shin-Bongsun on that extra-long special.

Yep, ep 43, the one at that stadium.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Some of the “spoons” are getting a bit out of hand, too.

Really wished someone had chosen that one...

Selane
May 19, 2006

My problem with this ep was that the venue sucked. No good hiding places, small enough that everyone heard everyone coming, and no one could run. Other than that it was pretty good. Jongkook usage voucher was hilarious, as was everyone abandoning Gary and Jihyo and leaving them together. I think my favorite part was where they showed Gary's photo and Jihyo was randomly in there for no reason, and Jihyo was like :stare: in the photo like even she had no idea what the hell she was doing there.

Edit: Also I love the way the producers keep coming up with ways to randomly screw people over without mentioning it in advance, like putting loving alarms on the paintings.

Selane fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 21, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

Haha, I love Kim Jaedong.

KJD: Whoa you mean this is really a real game!? :monocle:
Everyone: Well, you don't normally play it with postage boxes...

I'm not some kind of high fashion type, but I'm not so sure Jihyo's plaid pants + print vest + glasses + bowtie was a good idea.

And as we'll see shortly, Sukjin and KJK will continue to argue over the results of that rock paper scissors game for like the next three episodes or something ridiculous like that.

Selane
May 19, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Ji Hyo losing immediately in the word game with her adorable blank face.

And then ruining the suspense during the Jaesuk/Kwangsoo showdown by blurting out the first thing that popped into her head.

Selane
May 19, 2006

What a ripoff, should have sent the lol lols too.

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7OJ9LnboCY

Jong Kookie :allears:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

How the gently caress can you like Orange Caramel? Bangkok City is an abomination

It sure is, though Magic Girl, A~ing, and Funny Hunny are all super catchy even if they are obnoxiously cutesy.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Lyer posted:

On a related note, I decided to check out some of Gary's work and holy poo poo, Leessang is really loving good.

I recently watched A Frozen Flower(one of Jihyo's movies) and thought it was pretty good. :)

As for the the 1 vs X segments, I think my favorite was ep 34, where everyone pranked Uee. They had her so completely fooled and panicked the whole time, it was great.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The AKB thing was more than just them having boyfriends. It was more of a general behavior thing, with them having private twitter accounts(as opposed to their 'official' ones) that they were using to discuss stuff that really didn't match with their image, as well as being really open with the boyfriend stuff in the first place.

As for idols not dating, it's mainly a business decision. Whether it makes sense or not, someone like that is way more interesting to most people if they are romantically 'available', even if they really aren't. And personally, I think it's better that they don't date anyway because they don't have time for it. They don't even have time to sleep, so I'd prefer that they didn't try to find time for dating when they are sleeping a maximum of 4 hours a night(or 2 if you're T-ara).

edit: In somewhat related news, Miryo from Brown-Eyed Girls...'s solo mini-album is out, featuring people like Gary and Sunny, you should check it out.

http://omonatheydidnt.livejournal.com/8421218.html

Selane fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 31, 2012

Selane
May 19, 2006

SnowWolf posted:

Speaking of SNSD, they will be appearing on David Letterman tonight, Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning. Wish they were promoting a better song though =/

Here's them arriving in New York City http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwg1cJ7nYP8

If that surly security guard thinks that's bad(which it isn't) he'd loving poo poo himself if he saw what it's like when they arrive in various Asian airports and whatnot.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

Also, regarding anti-fans: Remember that Jihyo is not an idol, per say. Movie actors/actresses in Korea seem to be more like Hollywood in that their love life is not really tightly controlled and made jealous of. There a crapload of movie-star couples that are still popular, and the significant others of the popular stars don't get hated on for it. Perhaps that's because the average age of a movie star fan is more likely to be higher than that of an idol, and therefore more mature? I always felt that the rabid anti-dating fans were of the idol group type. Yeah, you get devastated, crying fans when some male star gets married, but I don't think the SO of the star got death threats or whatever...

Yeah, this is pretty much the truth. As far as fans are apparently concerned:

Jessica kissing some guy in a drama: not ok
Jihyo in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

So I really don't think anyone's gonna have a problem with her dating.

That being said...I don't really think it's ever a good idea for someone to date their boss. Their relationship probably isn't going to go anywhere in the long term, and afterwards there's a chance that this might cause some problems for her career-wise.

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Frozen_Flower

I watched it just cause I wanted to check out one of her movies, so yeah, I too was kind of surprised at the 23987239874 sex scenes(not that I'm complaining). Like I said earlier, though, I thought it was pretty drat good.

As for Jo Insung's fangirls, they were probably more preoccupied about the gay sex with whatshisname than whatever he did with Jihyo. :v:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Kuno posted:

Mind you in consideration of all that Idol insanity I just leart about I'm probably being waaaaay to concerned about a minor thing. Do idols really sleep 2 hours a day? That's crazy as gently caress.

This is kind of off topic, but it bothers me enough that I'm going to post about it anyway.

Most idols do get less than four hours of sleep each night; since Core Contents Media's CEO is a scumbag, T-ara get more like two hours.

It's not unusual for them to be subjected to ridiculous conditions. I still remember when they had to perform outdoors in skimpy outfits on what was literally the coldest day in the last 30 years. I didn't see Soyeon's tweet at the time, but I remember Eunjung tweeting about how agonizing it was and how she felt like her skin was splitting and how much they cried afterwards.

Hyomin is experiencing hair loss from the extreme stress and pressure of their ridiculous schedule.

Not too surprising. It's bad enough that they have openly spoken out against their CEO multiple times, which would normally be unheard of. "Since our debut, we have never had a vacation, and in the past year, we haven’t even had a single day of rest."

"I could die at this rate, everything should be done in moderation...I'm so tired right now...It feels like my mind and body are going to break."

Unsurprisingly, Jiyeon ended up being hospitalized for fatigue not long after that. "After she completed T-ara’s stage for the MBC ‘Gayo Daejaejun‘ at 2 in the morning, Jiyeon went to shoot for the KBS drama 'Dream High 2' at 4 a.m."

Speaking of Dream High 2, Jiyeon said "In the drama, there are special laws protecting minors in the entertainment industry, and I wish those laws existed in reality."

That'd be nice. Aside from Jiyeon's hospitalization, remember when Krystal from f(x) fainted dead away from exhaustion halfway through a performance?

I mean, what was she, like 15 at the time? Happened again after a Kiss and Cry performance.

Obviously forcing minors to work 20+ hours a day 7 days a week is completely ethical. Hooray for labor laws!

Selane
May 19, 2006

Xandu posted:

I seriously think there's going to end up being a lawsuit from T-ara about that giving how much they've been publicly complaining about working conditions.

I like to hope so, but I think they're still kind of scared of him. Remember not too long ago when 4 of the Kara members sued DSP and Kara came really close to breaking up? At the time Kim Kwangsoo(CCM's CEO) issued a bunch of threats basically saying that if any of his artists ever tried anything like that he'd see to it that they never work in the industry again. And seeing as how CCM is a part of mnet(and how corrupt mnet is in the first place), I wouldn't put it past him to try. That guy is seriously insane.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Archer2338 posted:

EDIT: On the subject of CEO threats, yeah that's definitely real. SM has basically kicked out the dissenting ex-TVXQ (now called JYJ) from basically all major TV programs and channels; the only way you can see them on TV is when they appear in non-musical roles such as an actor in a drama or something.

Kind of ironic how since leaving SM JYJ have become insanely rich, live in multi-million dollar houses, own ferraris and yachts, and recently bought their CEO a 300,000 USD luxury sedan as a Christmas present.

...Since Jihyo is apparently dating said CEO(they work for the same company) at least she should be rolling in style. :v:

Selane
May 19, 2006

Lyer posted:

In hindsight, one of the bad things about the IY change is HyunA disappearing from variety TV. I mean you can see Sunny/Yuri all the time and Hara to an extent, but the others you only really get tidbits of news info on.

Only thing I remember seeing Hyuna doing lately was Trouble Maker promotions. Which I went out of my way not to watch because I have better things to do with my time than watch Cube try to pass off Jang Hyunseung groping Hyuna's crotch and rear end as 'entertainment'.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Man, this show's editing rules. The camera work at 12:40 in part 4 is so good.

And the next episode is really good, both the preliminary game and the hide and seek.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Famous TV Dad posted:

HaHa owns. Harorowns

You're gonna love the next episode.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Bunch of great episodes coming up. 28 has what is by FAR the funniest karaoke segment in the entire show's run, and I believe 27-31 are the One Chance episodes which are all awesome.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Even better when Haha is doing it just to annoy KJK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ggPXxjN1MCQ#t=29s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QRDoVcfhRbs#t=180s

Selane
May 19, 2006

I think the whole musical part in the sauna might be my single favorite mini-segment in the entire show's run. There's so much hilarious poo poo in there I wouldn't even know where to begin listing it.

- Jihyo's 'singing'
- Sukjin rapping
- Jihyo's dance during Twist King
- Sukjin getting hit in the balls with the giant rubber band
- Saranghae, saranghae, SARANGHAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEE
- Sukjin belting out his lines at the wrong time by himself

Actually the whole time the yellow team was singing was funny. "Jaesuk why did you pick this loving song?" "I DON'T KNOW!"

Selane
May 19, 2006

Best part of this ep was seeing Gary get kidnapped from his restaurant and shoved in the trunk.

Selane
May 19, 2006

This is also the first time we get to see that the crew actually test out the Once Chance missions to see if they’re possible beforehand – something which will come to bite them in the rear end in a later show.

Yeah, they basically spent all morning trying it, then when they finally succeeded they checked how long it took them to do it and gave the cast less time and a limited number of attempts. Yet they still got it in a few tries. As a result the producers basically tried to rig next week's One Chance as hard as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

This is pretty cool(until Kwangsoo shows up, in which case it's just funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bLkbvvzbeNE!