Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm going to see The Magnetic Fields next month! :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

skooma512 posted:

I'm going to see The Magnetic Fields next month! :holy:

I was so happy when I bought my vinyl copy of 69 Love Songs! Where are you seeing them?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm really digging Diamond Mine by King Creosote and Jon Hopkins. I think it falls into the indie folk category. It did well in the "best albums of 2011" lists in the UK but I never heard of it until I stumbled across it on spotify. It is a bit similar to Wye Oak's music but with more folk than rock. Nice male vocals with a good musical backing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEoLnijDvv0

There is a local cafe and bar here called "The Magnetic Field" so more than once I've gotten myself excited when I see that name in the local paper's "what's happening this month".

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Sleigh Bells' last album, Treats, and their new one, Reign of Terror is set to hit on Tuesday.

It feels like they're taking it in a new direction compared to their first album, and so far I really like it despite some apprehension by other fans. Two singles released so far are Born to Lose, which I felt was kind of meh, and Comeback Kid which is really energetic and more akin to the feel of their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwcUdX7XMw

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I was so happy when I bought my vinyl copy of 69 Love Songs! Where are you seeing them?

The Orpheum in L.A. Parking is going to suck but I think it's a worthy sacrifice to see my most favorite band of all time.

They're doing it to promote their new album. They've released one of the songs already. I do hope they dip into stuff from Holiday and earlier as that's just hit after hit for me. The live vids of those songs blow me away.

I can't say I'm too impressed. Unfortunately even the Magnetic Fields aren't totally immune to new stuff not being as good as the old stuff. I'm not a fan of the over the top gay theme, I like a little more subtlety. I know Merritt is more than capable of bringing subtlety to the table.

Really hopeful for the new album though. They're going to back to synths and all my most favorite albums of theirs were in their synth era.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I've recently been digging The National pretty hard the past month or so. I just saw they are going to be in Cincinnati, Ohio next month and thats about 35 minutes from me. Must see? Underwhelming live? Any insight appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

CancerStick posted:

I've recently been digging The National pretty hard the past month or so. I just saw they are going to be in Cincinnati, Ohio next month and thats about 35 minutes from me. Must see? Underwhelming live? Any insight appreciated before I pull the trigger.

I saw them in NYC last year and they were really good. If you like their last album then you should see them. They did not play a lot of older songs at the show I went to.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

CancerStick posted:

The National is not performing at that festival, but they did last year. Bryce Dessner is curating it/will be performing in collaboration with Nico Muhly and Sufjan Stevens.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CancerStick posted:

I heard they are really god live but if you want to go, buy fast. When I wanted to go they sold out months before (which is very unusual over here) and I wasn't able to get a ticket.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone excited for Here We Go Magic's new album? I loved his debut, but thought Pigeons was really dull.

With the debut, the contrast between the very lo-fi recording and the complicated hypnotic rhythms (it sounded like everything was looped, but apparently it was all performed), and that it was all done by a single guy, gave it a very impressive yet mysterious sort of feel. Pigeons ditching all that for a more standard band and recording style removed all that, and the songs themselves seemed more like generic Canadian indie-pop than what the debut had.

But still, I'm sort of excited for a new album. Nigel Goodrich is producing it, and the new song seems promising.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 11, 2012

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

interpunct posted:

The National is not performing at that festival, but they did last year. Bryce Dessner is curating it/will be performing in collaboration with Nico Muhly and Sufjan Stevens.

http://www.americanmary.com/tour.php

https://twitter.com/musicnowfest

Looks like it was very recent.

EDIT: Looks like I read both wrong. Definitely read Twitter wrong. I assumed since it was under Tour on their website it meant for them? That's a bummer.

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 11, 2012

Sinnach
Dec 10, 2003

Mathematical.
I really enjoy The Sea and Cake quite a lot. Real good Jazzy Pop outfit from Chicago. They came up to Northern California last December to start their most recent tour and put on a drat good show.

Perfect music to go driving along the coast to. Their last album "Moonlight Butterfly" I thought was pretty good (not their best, but still really good). If you were going to start anywhere, I'd say go for one of their last two albums (either "Everybody" or "Car Alarm")

Crossing Line off of "Everybody" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEr4EosItDg

Also thanks for that Washed Up vid! I'm def going to check out more of their stuff now!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Sinnach posted:

I really enjoy The Sea and Cake quite a lot. Real good Jazzy Pop outfit from Chicago. They came up to Northern California last December to start their most recent tour and put on a drat good show.

Perfect music to go driving along the coast to. Their last album "Moonlight Butterfly" I thought was pretty good (not their best, but still really good). If you were going to start anywhere, I'd say go for one of their last two albums (either "Everybody" or "Car Alarm")

Crossing Line off of "Everybody" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEr4EosItDg

Also thanks for that Washed Up vid! I'm def going to check out more of their stuff now!

I forgot about them, I think I saw them open for Broken Social Scene in 2010. They were pretty good if I remember correctly.

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

Eggie posted:

Sufjan Stevens.

He's in the process of recording his next studio album. After his experimental The Age Of Adz, I'm curious what he's doing now. Is he head backing to his indie folk roots or experimenting further? I didn't hate Age Of Adz, but I can't say it was an excellent album. Some songs, his voice is overwhelmed by the loud electronic roar. And that final song "Impossible Soul" is just a bore. That being said, I hope he continues to experiment. If he heads back to his indie folk roots, he risks being samey and damaging interest in him.

I loved the first albums, and when The Age of Adz got released, i was like 'huh?'

...then i went to see him on stage: i love the album since, especially Impossible Soul. I love the way the five parts meld one into another to make one of the most original thing i've heard in years.

Sinnach
Dec 10, 2003

Mathematical.
Also meant to post this last night, but Cloud Nothings have been blowing me away for the last year or so. Their first album "Turning On" had a real lo-fi sound to it:

Hey Cool Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3gGEC6aNY

Their new album "Attack on Memory" just came out about a month ago and has a more polished, clean, and aggressive feel to it. The results sound incredible (they went into the studio with Steve Albini this time around).

Wasted Days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmaTq-T4zE

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Sinnach posted:

Also meant to post this last night, but Cloud Nothings have been blowing me away for the last year or so. Their first album "Turning On" had a real lo-fi sound to it:

Hey Cool Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3gGEC6aNY

Their new album "Attack on Memory" just came out about a month ago and has a more polished, clean, and aggressive feel to it. The results sound incredible (they went into the studio with Steve Albini this time around).

Wasted Days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmaTq-T4zE

I just want to second this. Attack on Memory is incredible, an honestly sounds like a completely different band.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
Has anyone got a hold of the new Tennis album? I have a couple singles like Origins and Deep In The Woods, but it's not up on iTunes yet :( I wanna hear their new poo poo!

Also, I'm seeing Slow Club on March 11th @ The Echoplex in LA. See you motherfuckers there.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

guppiehaus posted:

Has anyone got a hold of the new Tennis album? I have a couple singles like Origins and Deep In The Woods, but it's not up on iTunes yet :( I wanna hear their new poo poo!

The release date for the album is tomorrow. You can stream the full thing from their SoundCloud page, though: http://soundcloud.com/tennisinc/sets/tennis-young-old/

pathetic gbs homo
May 15, 2005
it's gotta be midnight somewhere by now
Any Matthew Dear fans? I bought his new Headcage EP off of iTunes a few weeks ago. I've been following him since Asa Breed and I've heard some of his releases as Audion. When he's good he's really good, and when he's not, the tracks are tedious at best, but there's not much he's done that I don't like.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I just got the new Islands album, A Sleep & a Forgetting. Like every previous Nick Thorburn release, it's a whole lot different than the preceding album. I need to give it a couple more spins but I'm digging it so far.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cSvOfwxQs

Pond is made up of some of the guys from Tame Impala. I'm pretty drat excited for this.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The new Tennis album is 4 bucks on Amazon's digital MP3 thing today. I haven't listened to it yet but I saw people talking about it and thought this thread should know!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Sleigh Bells' last album, Treats, and their new one, Reign of Terror is set to hit on Tuesday.

It feels like they're taking it in a new direction compared to their first album, and so far I really like it despite some apprehension by other fans. Two singles released so far are Born to Lose, which I felt was kind of meh, and Comeback Kid which is really energetic and more akin to the feel of their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwcUdX7XMw

Wanted to post that Reign of Terror's a week away from store shelves, and the NY Times has it streaming before release for this week. Also has a really great article explaining how the band formed and some of the inspiration behind their music.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/arts/music/the-indie-band-sleigh-bells-new-album-reign-of-terror.html?pagewanted=all

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just listened to Reign of Terror and while its not as good as their debut, its still pretty good. Hope they come to Austin for SXSW.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Having had a quick listen to the new Tennis album i'm really enjoying it! They're playing quite close to me in Rough Trade East in London tonight but i can't afford the train there, so i'm gonna have to phone them up tomorrow to see if they have any memorabilia left over.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

PonchAxis posted:

Just listened to Reign of Terror and while its not as good as their debut, its still pretty good. Hope they come to Austin for SXSW.
Came here for this very reason. It's still distinctly Sleigh Bells, but apart from the lead single (Born to Lose), there's nothing that's really grabbing me. The last album was loud and scared your parents, but you'd still find Rill Rill or Infinity Guitars stuck in your head, but I'm not seeing anything to latch onto here. It's a quick listen, so I've already made it through twice, but this might be a bit of a miss.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Let's all talk about how wonderful the new fun. album is because a) it really, really is great and b) they deserve to sell like a million copies and be able to afford that upper-echelon of designer drugs reserved for the mega-famous.

The first track is total "Night at the Opera"-era Queen, complete with bombastic orchestration and some ridiculous harmonies. By the end of it I was just sitting at my desk, grinning like an idiot.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Yeah, Some Nights by fun. seems to be a pretty amazing album. You can all stream it(do it) at ournameisfun.com

My favorite tracks on it so far are probably the intro that SB mentioned above, All Alone, and Stars.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grantonio posted:

Yeah, Some Nights by fun. seems to be a pretty amazing album. You can all stream it(do it) at ournameisfun.com

My favorite tracks on it so far are probably the intro that SB mentioned above, All Alone, and Stars.

I discovered Fun. today in probably the most roundabout way, someone posting a link to We Are Young, which I had only heard through Glee, and when I listened to it, I realized that it was a band that contained the lead singer of The Format, who released Dog Problems, which I love. So now I'm listening to their first album, and I'm really close to ordering both Fun. albums on vinyl.

Just some really solid pop music. I love it, like a more production heavy Tinted Windows.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Cokeysmoke posted:

Having had a quick listen to the new Tennis album i'm really enjoying it! They're playing quite close to me in Rough Trade East in London tonight but i can't afford the train there, so i'm gonna have to phone them up tomorrow to see if they have any memorabilia left over.
I'm enjoying their new album. Eagerly looking forward to them opening for White Rabbits when they're in Philly. Debating whether or not to try and find as much as I can on White Rabbits new album before the show or just go in blind.

Sinnach
Dec 10, 2003

Mathematical.

everyone that recommended Tennis posted:

I just wanted to come in and say they are incredible! I've listened to their new album several times now and I have "Petition" and "Origins" stuck on repeat!

To contribute, Loney Dear - I Was Only Going Out: http://youtu.be/vQurio5vtB8

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know where else to share this. I've fallen in love with His Name is Alive. Lo-fi indie rock from the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_40h76mvQ

It's this sound that is sex to my ears and I pray the 90s revival that is being heralded as happening in the next five years or so will include lots of this sound!

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

Let's all talk about how wonderful the new fun. album is because a) it really, really is great and b) they deserve to sell like a million copies and be able to afford that upper-echelon of designer drugs reserved for the mega-famous.

The first track is total "Night at the Opera"-era Queen, complete with bombastic orchestration and some ridiculous harmonies. By the end of it I was just sitting at my desk, grinning like an idiot.

I listened to it like five times yesterday, but I still really can't get into it."Aim and Ignite" is a really fun album, and they do create a unique sound here, but I feel like most of the music itself gets weighed down by the really cluttered production. "Aim and Ignite" was crisp and tight, this album tries to be more sprawling and grandiose and only succeeds in bursts. And i really hate the abundance of auto tune. Maybe this will grow on me, they're still pretty catchy at least.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Not An Irish Monk posted:

I listened to it like five times yesterday, but I still really can't get into it."Aim and Ignite" is a really fun album, and they do create a unique sound here, but I feel like most of the music itself gets weighed down by the really cluttered production. "Aim and Ignite" was crisp and tight, this album tries to be more sprawling and grandiose and only succeeds in bursts. And i really hate the abundance of auto tune. Maybe this will grow on me, they're still pretty catchy at least.

I was completely into it after my second listen, but then again I loved the autotune and how it was used 95% of the time. Still have to say that Aim and Ignite is superior. I really loving love "Stars" on this album though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The autotune bugs me a little, but I'm sure that will go away after future listens.

I'm really mad that I'm gonna miss them when they come to Iowa City. I'd love to see them do a show, this sounds like it will be very conducive to live shows.

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Some Nights is pretty awesome album and I'm so glad Nate Ruess is finally getting the recognition he deserves. His voice is too good for people to not hear it.

And I love Some Nights(the song) and the fact that it has the same amount of epicness that Be Calm had and it's so good.

The autotune kinda threw me for a loop at first too, but I don't know, it grew on me!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

skooma512 posted:

They're doing it to promote their new album. They've released one of the songs already. I do hope they dip into stuff from Holiday and earlier as that's just hit after hit for me. The live vids of those songs blow me away.

I can't say I'm too impressed. Unfortunately even the Magnetic Fields aren't totally immune to new stuff not being as good as the old stuff. I'm not a fan of the over the top gay theme, I like a little more subtlety. I know Merritt is more than capable of bringing subtlety to the table.

Really hopeful for the new album though. They're going to back to synths and all my most favorite albums of theirs were in their synth era.

I think Distortion is nearly as good as anything Merritt's done previously (especially Drive On Driver and Please Stop Dancing, but barring "Holiday", just cause it's my favorite album of all time), although Realism wasn't brilliant. I'm glad you posted that, though, since I've completely stopped following music in the last couple of years and had no idea they were already releasing a new one. Plus it turns out they're playing Amsterdam in May, I may shell out the 20 euros for that.

While I'm in this thread I'd like to complain about The Fiery Furnaces more or less disappearing in recent years. I think most people kind of lost interest in them after the one-two punch of Rehearsing My Choir -> Bitter Tea (even though both are brilliant), but I can't not be in love with them still. I wish they'd stop loving around with solo albums and limited edition vinyl-only stuff and just release a proper new album already, it's been two and a half years.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I high recommend anything off of the Dark Was The Night album, expessially because it features my favorite songs from Beirut and The Decemberists.

Also, if The Civil Wars are pretty great. My dad and John Paul White's parents were great friends in the 60's and grew up together in a town of about 200 people. So there's that, I kind of wonder if it could end up getting me free tickets.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Orillion posted:

I loved the first albums, and when The Age of Adz got released, i was like 'huh?'

...then i went to see him on stage: i love the album since, especially Impossible Soul. I love the way the five parts meld one into another to make one of the most original thing i've heard in years.

I had almost the same experience. I actually heard his cover of the song "You Are The Blood" on the Dark was the Night compilation so I sort of had an idea of the direction he was heading for Age of Adz. When the album came out I listened to it a lot but it never really "clicked" until I saw him perform it live. Hooooly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6cSvOfwxQs

Pond is made up of some of the guys from Tame Impala. I'm pretty drat excited for this.

I need this, Innerspeaker still manages to blow me away, too bad I missed Pond live