Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ugh, you know what? I give up. Everyone I talk to in person is right - Deerhunter and The Dear Hunter are the same band. That's right, they're exactly the same and interchangeable in every way. I've just been trying to prank you, but you saw through it.

(Both are loving amazing - which really isn't a surprise when you consider they're the same band.)

And The Deer Hunter is a documentary about the band, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

LtTennisBall posted:

I'm planning on going to see WU LYF, who put out one of my favorite albums last year. I missed them the last time they came through Boston thanks to exams and stuff, but they're coming through again (I think touring to Coachella). They sound kinda like...I don't really know. I can't understand the vocalist at all and they recorded their debut album in a church, so everything has ridiculous reverb. They remind me vaguely of Arcade Fire. Two of my favorite songs are Heavy Pop and 14 Crowns for Me & Your Friends.

Checked them out because of this post, and this album is loving great. Indie rock as played by football hooligans :black101: Gotta go see these guys if they play around here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ugh, you know what? I give up. Everyone I talk to in person is right - Deerhunter and The Dear Hunter are the same band. That's right, they're exactly the same and interchangeable in every way. I've just been trying to prank you, but you saw through it.

(Both are loving amazing - which really isn't a surprise when you consider they're the same band.)

And The Deer Hunter is a documentary about the band, yes
Welp I've never listened to them but
I genuinely thought this.

Also the new Islands album is really
good y'all, and there are 2 new
Songs by Allo Darlin' coming out in preparation for their new full length as well as a new Imagine Dragons & Miniature Tigers albums coming up. Its a good time for pop/rock

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Davincie posted:

Also the new Islands album is really good y'all

The new Islands IS really good, but its such a subtle record. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to write it off as "boring," as it never really escapes from a consistent MOR sound. But the songwriting is amazing and its really personal...in that overly-self-conscious Nick Thorburn kind of way.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Yo, I Am Gemini, the new Cursive record, is twisted to hell and probably stands as the darkest, heaviest thing they've ever recorded. Without spoiling anything, it's a concept album about a pair of twin brothers on opposite ends of the moral spectrum and their downward spiral into depraved lunacy. Their last record, Mama, I'm Swollen was pretty lackluster, and Tim's solo album was kind of a mess so I'm really stoked they've come back with such a strong release, since Ugly Organ and Happy Hollow are two of my all-time favorites.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Mt. Modular posted:

The new Islands IS really good, but its such a subtle record. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to write it off as "boring," as it never really escapes from a consistent MOR sound. But the songwriting is amazing and its really personal...in that overly-self-conscious Nick Thorburn kind of way.

Hallways is a barnburner though, and I love it. That and Can't Feel My Face actually remind me a bit of the Mister Heavenly doom-wop stuff he did with Honus Honus.

I can't wait to see them tonight. I'll try to get Nick to personalize my Valentine's Day card.

Sugar Blaster posted:

Yo, I Am Gemini, the new Cursive record, is twisted to hell and probably stands as the darkest, heaviest thing they've ever recorded. Without spoiling anything, it's a concept album about a pair of twin brothers on opposite ends of the moral spectrum and their downward spiral into depraved lunacy. Their last record, Mama, I'm Swollen was pretty lackluster, and Tim's solo album was kind of a mess so I'm really stoked they've come back with such a strong release, since Ugly Organ and Happy Hollow are two of my all-time favorites.

I haven't given it a listen at all yet, but which previous album would you say it's closest to, if any? I love Domestica, Such Blinding Stars, and Ugly Organ, but didn't really feel Happy Hollow after a couple of spins. It actually turned me off so much that I didn't pursue Mama, I'm Swollen at all. I'd be down to hop back on the bandwagon, though.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 21, 2012

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Akbar posted:

I haven't given it a listen at all yet, but which previous album would you say it's closest to, if any? I love Domestica, Such Blinding Stars, and Ugly Organ, but didn't really feel Happy Hollow after a couple of spins. It actually turned me off so much that I didn't pursue Mama, I'm Swollen at all. I'd be down to hop back on the bandwagon, though.

It's actually a very good mix of their whole discography. It definitively has some of the pop elements of the later stuff, but it also brings back the kickass guitars of the olden days. It's a very good album, especially if you read along to it. At first I wasn't feeling the story, but once I understood what was going on it was much better.

The only reason I stopped listening to that album is because of Fun. How I never listened to this band, I don't know. I also just realized that them and The Format share the same lead. Mind. Blown.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't even find a copy of the song on youtube, but will someone who is familiar with both Max Tundra and Merrill Garbus/tune-yards confirm this for me?

Max Tundra's Glycaemic Index Blues, from Parallax Error Beheads You...... that is Merrill Garbus before tune-yards isn't it? I mean, it loving HAS to be, right? I adore her, and I've never heard this Max Tundra album before, but I came out of my seat, because I am pretty sure that's her before she was on anyone's radar. Hope someone with that album can confirm, I don't know if I'm just finally losing it over here or what.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Oops, read the question wrong

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Akbar posted:

Like Glug_Glug said already, it's sort of an amalgamate of their sound as a whole, but a good majority of the tracks call back to those jarring busszaw riffs on songs like Lament of Pretty Baby. The last track specifically builds to a loving killer crescendo that's probably louder and more intense than anything they've ever recorded before. Twin Dragon has this synth line running beneath it. The song sounds and plays like some Faustian circus nightmare but it's probably the most infectiously catchy track on the album.

And the story isn't as obtuse as some reviews (Pitchfork) make it seem. There's some stuff you'll miss out on if you skip the liner notes, but it's easy enough to piece together what's going on after a few listens. And most of the songs work independent of the others, so it's not really an album you HAVE to absorb as parts of a whole.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2012

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I don't know if anyone cares, but Cheap Girls don't seem to care about much of anything either so I'm gonna go ahead and plug their new album, Giant Orange, anyway. If you've ever spent any of time sunk deep into the mundane drudgery of twenty-who-gives-a-poo poo post-collegian, pre-career depression, and wanna hear an amalgamate of Dinosaur Jr. and mid-90's Harvey Danger, you'll be right at home.

This is from their last album, My Roaring 20s, but it's one of those songs where when I first heard it I instantly knew this band was "for" me because it was so loving accurate to where I am in my life.
http://youtu.be/hz2tN02oKxo

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Glug_Glug posted:

It's actually a very good mix of their whole discography. It definitively has some of the pop elements of the later stuff, but it also brings back the kickass guitars of the olden days. It's a very good album, especially if you read along to it. At first I wasn't feeling the story, but once I understood what was going on it was much better.

The only reason I stopped listening to that album is because of Fun. How I never listened to this band, I don't know. I also just realized that them and The Format share the same lead. Mind. Blown.

Yeah, fun. is some amazing pop music. Their first album (and specifically "All the Pretty Girls") was my summer jam last year. I'm really excited to see them in a few weeks in Chapel Hill.

Islands show report: the show was great. I caught Nick around the bar before the show and got him to personalize my pre-order Valentine's Day card. We talked for about 5 minutes about the tour and past shows I'd seen them at in the Bay Area. We had a little sardonic laugh about how over there they would sell out 500-700 capacity venues, and how the 506 show didn't even sell out with its max capacity of 250 people. I'm glad Nick's mellowed out a bit with age.

I got an email earlier yesterday from the promoter saying there was a mystery opening act from a local band. I was thinking grandiose thoughts about Megafaun, Mt. Moriah, or one of the local Merge crew but it turned out to be Lost in the Trees, playing all new stuff. They were really great and I'm looking forward to their new album. The second opener was this one-man electronic act called Idiot Glee. I got the sense that his music's probably better through headphones or in a car than live.

The Islands set was fantastic. This was my fourth time seeing them live and I was really happy with the mix of old and new stuff. The first half of the set was exclusively stuff from the new album and they ended up playing every track from it. They started ramping up for the second half with "Creeper" off the second album, which pumped me up since a setlist from a couple nights ago didn't have anything from Arm's Way on it. They played "Whalebone" for a one-song encore with a local rapper and then walked off stage. The crowd kept cheering and yelling for another song since no one started stripping down the set and after maybe 8-9 minutes, they came back on for "Heartbeats". Even though they just started this tour, they sounded really polished with the material and playing it live. Go check them out if they come by.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but Cheap Girls don't seem to care about much of anything either so I'm gonna go ahead and plug their new album, Giant Orange, anyway. If you've ever spent any of time sunk deep into the mundane drudgery of twenty-who-gives-a-poo poo post-collegian, pre-career depression, and wanna hear an amalgamate of Dinosaur Jr. and mid-90's Harvey Danger, you'll be right at home.

This is from their last album, My Roaring 20s, but it's one of those songs where when I first heard it I instantly knew this band was "for" me because it was so loving accurate to where I am in my life.
http://youtu.be/hz2tN02oKxo

I never expected to see Cheap Girls anywhere but they punk thread (they aren't really all that punk sounding but they are associated with that scene/on Rise Records), so I've gotta second this. They're touring with The Sidekicks, who are a bit more punk sounding but are absolutely loving phenominal and deserving of your time. My favorite song (The Whale and Jonah from their new album) isn't on youtube, but here's a cool track.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Hey thread! I've got a lot of great music from here so here's another folk/indie/rock band that I enjoy quite a bit. They have female vocalist who is pretty awesome and create some pretty catchy songs. Two good ones are

A Song about California
Turn up the Stars

They're from somewhere in western Canada and put on a pretty great show!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Crell posted:

Hey thread! I've got a lot of great music from here so here's another folk/indie/rock band that I enjoy quite a bit. They have female vocalist who is pretty awesome and create some pretty catchy songs. Two good ones are

A Song about California
Turn up the Stars

Interesting sound, not particularly for me though. You got a weird definition of folk, they didn't sound at all like I expected based on your description. I'd have called them some sort of indie/jazz/pop band.

EDIT: Or maybe Ska/Pop. I don't know. Definitely not folk though.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 23, 2012

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Akbar posted:

Talkin' 'bout Islands.

After reading this I decided that I just have to see Islands live. So I go check out when they're going to be near me... Friday. Two days from now. There's no chance in hell I'll be able to get off of work with that short of notice. I'm going to have to start paying attention to these things.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Mt. Modular posted:

After reading this I decided that I just have to see Islands live. So I go check out when they're going to be near me... Friday. Two days from now. There's no chance in hell I'll be able to get off of work with that short of notice. I'm going to have to start paying attention to these things.

Yeah, especially considering you've been rocking that custom title for a while now. If it's any consolation, you can make a playlist from their set last night:

Plus "Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone" and "Heartbeats" for the encore.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

Yeah, especially considering you've been rocking that custom title for a while now. If it's any consolation, you can make a playlist from their set last night:

Plus "Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone" and "Heartbeats" for the encore.

Swans! Oh god I have to go to this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mt. Modular posted:

Get songkick. Scan your last.fm account.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Epi Lepi posted:

Interesting sound, not particularly for me though. You got a weird definition of folk, they didn't sound at all like I expected based on your description. I'd have called them some sort of indie/jazz/pop band.

EDIT: Or maybe Ska/Pop. I don't know. Definitely not folk though.

ehhh I've never been too good at defining music. I just listen to what sounds good!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Crell posted:

A Song about California
Turn up the Stars

I like this but was wondering about all the pony comments. Apparently the singer is a pony or something? drat ponies keep showing up on my last.fm :negative:

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Akbar posted:

It was between seeing these guys and the jicks for me, and I've been dying to see Malkmus live for a while so I missed this. I got the album on vinyl though and I love it. Really bummed I missed this show, the setlist sounds amazing.

The jicks show was great though, and if you haven't listened to mirror traffic you should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UNmW0dXhQ

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Davincie posted:

Get songkick. Scan your last.fm account.

Oh, this is great! Thank you!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Max Tundra's Glycaemic Index Blues, from Parallax Error Beheads You...... that is Merrill Garbus before tune-yards isn't it? I mean, it loving HAS to be, right? I adore her, and I've never heard this Max Tundra album before, but I came out of my seat, because I am pretty sure that's her before she was on anyone's radar. Hope someone with that album can confirm, I don't know if I'm just finally losing it over here or what.

Ben definitely transposes his voice higher and lower through his albums. I'm not seeing his sister mentioned on the wiki page for "Parallax...", but she definitely did vocals on "Mastered by Guy at the Exchange" and they sound strikingly similar. You should definitely give that a listen if you haven't.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lblitzer posted:

Ben definitely transposes his voice higher and lower through his albums. I'm not seeing his sister mentioned on the wiki page for "Parallax...", but she definitely did vocals on "Mastered by Guy at the Exchange" and they sound strikingly similar. You should definitely give that a listen if you haven't.
I think (know) you're right - god, it's striking how similar he or his sister sounds to Merrill Garbus there.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Have any of you guys listened to John K. Samson's solo album? I want nothing more in this world than a new Weakerthans album, but gently caress me if it doesn't fill the void.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just listened to Island's new album. Pretty okay in my opinion. Reminded me a lot of Vapours, nothing fantastic but certainly not terrible. The last two albums haven't had any super spectacular songs that just grabbed me like ones from "Return..." and "Arm's Way" that either have some awesome instrumentation parts or memorable lyrics/vocals.

Relistening to Arm's Way right now and I forgot how awesome of a sophomore album it is. Didn't live up to Return for me, but it's got some great songs with a lot of ideas and melodies derived from their previous. It's too bad they have been shuffling through members, but I suppose it's also too bad The Unicorns aren't around anymore.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
http://xpn.org/concerts-events/free-at-noon

You can listen to a live stream of Islands performing right now. They're about ten minutes into their set. Should be up streaming World Cafe on NPR's website later. Pretty good so far but I'm listening to it at work so I won't be able to really enjoy until later.

Edit: It's up for streaming now: http://www.npr.org/event/music/147207001/live-friday-islands-in-concert

Medium Cool fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 25, 2012

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Holy crap god bless this thread, so many good bands. Fun., Pond, Tennis, Mates of State, Grimes etc etc.

Ive got some serious buying to do, thanks for diversifying my playlists.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Akbar posted:

Yeah, fun. is some amazing pop music. Their first album (and specifically "All the Pretty Girls") was my summer jam last year. I'm really excited to see them in a few weeks in Chapel Hill.

Yeah , I went back and listened to the first album. I like Some Nights more, but there is some really good stuff on Aim and Ignite. Especially "Be Calm", that song is so addictive. I even started listening to The Format again, some really good pop music.

I want to listen to Steel Train. Does anyone know where to start with them?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Sleigh Bells' last album, Treats, and their new one, Reign of Terror is set to hit on Tuesday.

It feels like they're taking it in a new direction compared to their first album, and so far I really like it despite some apprehension by other fans. Two singles released so far are Born to Lose, which I felt was kind of meh, and Comeback Kid which is really energetic and more akin to the feel of their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwcUdX7XMw

I saw them in Jacksonville the day after you posted this and Alexis was wearing that Life Guard Florida shirt from the video along with the same shorts. She brought some guy up on stage at the end of their set and traded it to him for a white shirt with a full color print of an orca leaping out of the ocean. That was pretty cool.

Edit: I love Architecture in Helsinki(My Absolute Favorite Band ever since I heard their first album), The Shins, Modest Mouse, Belle And Sebastian, The Decemberists, Los Campesinos!, and The xx, and 69 Love Songs, off the top of my head. Any recommendations for similar sounds?

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 25, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have been listening to Cloud Nothing's "Attack on Memory" since I got off work this afternoon. Reminds me a bit of the east coast scene (Algernon Cadwalleder, Capn Jazz, etc) and a bit like Drive Like Jehu. Mix in a little bit Oxford Collapse and I'm loving this album a lot. Messy guitars, vocals, and "Wasted Days" goes off on a 8 bass line and guitar expedition. Seriously, give these guys a listen.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lblitzer posted:

I have been listening to Cloud Nothing's "Attack on Memory" since I got off work this afternoon. Reminds me a bit of the east coast scene (Algernon Cadwalleder, Capn Jazz, etc) and a bit like Drive Like Jehu. Mix in a little bit Oxford Collapse and I'm loving this album a lot. Messy guitars, vocals, and "Wasted Days" goes off on a 8 bass line and guitar expedition. Seriously, give these guys a listen.
This is both a compliment and a knock, but 2 months in and that's probably album of the year so far. It's a really solid listen, and each song has something to offer, but, and this is no disrespect to Cloud Nothings, if that album is still in my top 8 or 10 in December, 2012's let me down.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Victorkm posted:

Edit: I love Architecture in Helsinki(My Absolute Favorite Band ever since I heard their first album), The Shins, Modest Mouse, Belle And Sebastian, The Decemberists, Los Campesinos!, and The xx, and 69 Love Songs, off the top of my head. Any recommendations for similar sounds?

Seeing as you have 4 twee or twee influenced bands (AiH, B&S, LC!, TMF) in there, have you checked out twee? Camera Obscura is a lot like B&S for the modern twee sound, Johnny Foreigner and Fighting Apes aren't twee at all but hit the same screaming punky sound LC!. For The Magnetic Fields (69 love songs) check out some of the other twee classics like Heavenly or newer soft pop like Jens Lekman. For AiH, if you are looking for music like their newest album I find that FM Belfast hits the same sort of note and for the older albums stay with twee. There is a lot more out there, but this should help a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CkfvYMCWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NUbOQMCKY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNSoWSvyX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeeNSFIajsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4K90J59LQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xf_GTbcSlc

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Glug_Glug posted:

Yeah , I went back and listened to the first album. I like Some Nights more, but there is some really good stuff on Aim and Ignite. Especially "Be Calm", that song is so addictive. I even started listening to The Format again, some really good pop music.

I want to listen to Steel Train. Does anyone know where to start with them?
Probably just listen to their last album. It sounds a lot like the stuff on Some Nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYCNdOcu-Q

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.

Sugar Blaster posted:

I'm loving this album. Been listening to it on repeat for like, five days.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/26/147047574/first-listen-andrew-bird-break-it-yourself#playlist

New Andrew Bird. The first time I listened to it I was kind of underwhelmed, but it's grown on me a lot. I think you'll enjoy it if you're already an Andrew Bird fan, but I don't think I'd recommend it as a starting point for anyone unfamiliar with his work. There's nothing to really "get" about him, but I think it's one of those things where you can understand that this would be his next record if you've been following him for years. Although, I'm pretty sure I read an interview with him where he said this would be a record that was heavier on the pop side. I'm not seeing that at all. And if you don't listen to Andrew Bird and happen to love this, congrats. You've just discovered one of the most fascinating musicians on the planet, and you will be better for it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The new Damien Jurado album is pretty good, and it's different enough from his older stuff that it doesn't just feel like the same old poo poo, not that his older stuff is bad or anything.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Fanfarlo's pretty good. They've got the whole mumble deep philosophical things kind of music down right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf-hJP4XJ94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm loving infatuated with Grimes. Musically, I mean, although those big ears, rabbit teeth and lithp... :swoon:. At first I kinda didn't know what to think. I've only really listened to Visions but it's like... some 80s Cocteau Twins opener, followed by a couple poppier tracks (well maybe more UK pop - she's said she likes to be Katy B but doing her own music which is exactly what I wish Katy B was), then like some witch house poo poo, and dare I call Circumambient a dance track? Then some more Katy B stuff, then some The Knife/Fever Ray inspiration (which is really all over the album but most potent here) combined with K-Pop, then a trance track with a little witch house, then... gently caress I'm getting tired of coming up with references for each track. It's so eclectic and all over the place but it still has a singular vision which is awesome and I don't know how the gently caress this album works for me or works at all but it works for me so hard.

I swear the fact that 99.99% of people are going to listen to Grimes and go WHAT THE loving gently caress is only like 5% of my love for Grimes. Really. Maybe 10%.

And really I just want to say the fact we live in a musical world where someone with a really, really pronounced lisp can make music - that actually is made better by the lisp - and get fuckin BNM'd and become popular is incredible. I don't know why that fact strikes me so much but it does. It's only possible because of the internet and the internet is awesome.

Also, everybody listen to Purity Ring. Being indie fans they've probably already been pushed on you but you were like "uh that name sounds kinda... christian emo or someshit". Ignore the name. Listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjC-hznTwMA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgKk8Eqyzkk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFtyKZ1Orc&feature=related

Now wail and gnash your teeth because that's all there is. They really remind me of like The Knife but warmer and kinder. But that might sound crazy - the 3 songs are pretty different after all. And there's some Fiery Furnaces slightly sinister wistfulness there I swear but I know that sounds even crazier.