Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

T Bowl posted:

Jessie Ware

Love Jessie Ware, although I did prefer her stuff a few albums back to her more disco-y stuff now but it's all good. Devotion and Tough Love are my favs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
For those who hadn't heard, Justin Peck, longtime collaborator of Sufjan Stevens, put together a stage musical of Sufjan's 2005 album Illinoise. It made its debut last summer at Bard College, had a limited run in Chicago earlier this year, and is about to finish an off Broadway run in New York City, before doing 16 weeks at the St James theater beginning next month on Broadway.

It's not a jukebox musical as you might expect. There isn't even any dialogue, rather there is a band with vocalists on stage who perform the music from the album as the actors dance to it on stage, and through that dance a story is told. I saw it this weekend, and it was really wonderful, exceeded my expectations. If you are a Sufjan fan, I highly encourage you to go to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZcXpeyaZ04

One little detail that I loved was that before the show started, they were playing a bunch of indie rock from the mid 00's. Nice little touch.

Edit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4vXRPUOeEe/?hl=en

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 25, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I listened to the album in full a short while back and it hasn't aged well for me since I was an undergrad who could cry at the beauty of the wind blowing (and more often than not had some kind of chemical nudge even past that point). Few of the tracks seem as profound as I recalled them even from a few years ago.

I will still never forgive my friend from back then for listening and then summarizing 'Yeah, it's a catchy enough pop music album'.

Actually I envy people who still hear in it what I heard back in college. Because that was something powerful.

And, I'm still a Sufjan fan, but my favourite album is now definitely Seven Swans. I also listened to that one in full a while back and the pair of tracks that close it are chilling. Both in terms of quality and being as terrifying as music gets. I'd say there's maybe one skip on the album and it's thankfully near the start so you can skip and then keep going through the rest of the record through to the end.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'd say that my favorite Suf album is Age of Adz, I think it's his magnum opus, but I know it's not an album that's easily accessible to many people. But I do think that Illinoise still holds up for me, and "Predatory Wasp" is easily one of his best songs. There were people sobbing in the audience during "Predatory Wasp," "Casimir Pulaski," and "Seers Tower."

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Electronic Suf > Whispery acoustic Suf

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nihonniboku posted:

I'd say that my favorite Suf album is Age of Adz, I think it's his magnum opus, but I know it's not an album that's easily accessible to many people.

I didn't get 'Vesuvius' until I did and now it's one of my favourites. Maybe because it combines both of:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Electronic Suf > Whispery acoustic Suf

I mean he's essentially the king of the indie kids and with this much of a head start probably will be until the day he dies so he can do what he want.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i fuckin loved illinois and age of adz but carrie & lowell being an album of just the saddest indie folk imaginable meant i never got around to listening to it. like, casmir pulaski day is the only song i have just straight up teared-up listening to; an entire of album of that would probably kill me. Javelin seems even more brutal in this regard

i should probably listen to The Ascension, right? feel like that album kind of came and went but, well, 2020 was not a great year to release an album

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

abraham linksys posted:

carrie & lowell being an album of just the saddest indie folk imaginable meant i never got around to listening to it.

Many of his newer fans think it's his greatest record. I think it's good, but not in the top 3. I think it really only became special later into the tour for it when he started to throw a lot of new elements on top of it, like turning The Fourth of July, the song directly about the death of his mother, into a dance anthem. He released a live version of the album that's really worth listening to. Compared to early in the tour when he would cry while performing the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbbSzY7MUZk

abraham linksys posted:

i should probably listen to The Ascension, right? feel like that album kind of came and went but, well, 2020 was not a great year to release an album

The Ascension is great, and is basically a sequel to The Age of Adz. My favorites from the album were "Ativan" and "Landslide." He describes the album as his foray into pop music, although it didn't quite get any radio play on your local pop music station. He said he was inspired by the queens of RuPaul's Drag Race.

He put out a ton of work in a short period of time during the pandemic. Aporia, a collaboration with stepfather Lowell which is kind of like improvisational new age, and you can skip it. Then the aforementioned Ascension also in 2020. Then in 2021 we got Convocations, a 5 disc ambient noise album about the death of his father, and you can skip it. Then later that year, A Beginner's Mind, a folk duo album he made with Angelo de Augustine, which is inspired by cheesy movies, and is really great. And of course last year we got Javelin, another great album inspired by the end of his relationship, and eventual death of his long term boyfriend. Javelin fell a little halfway between Age of Adz and Carrie and Lowell in terms of sound.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 25, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Megabound posted:

I've only started listening to pop and indie recently after picking up Magdalena Bay, Yeule, Carly Rae Jepsen's latest album, and boygenius and related acts like late last year so if anyone's got recommendations on where to explore in any of those directions that'd be dope. I like listening to entire albums but singles are alright too.

Phoenix are a great bridge between indie and the synth-driven pop you talk about here. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is the album for them, though I'm putting a link of a live performance because they're a kickass live band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STixAvSrnlc

Phoebe Bridgers has long talked about the influence of Elliott Smith, one of her favorite artists, on her own work. Starting at Figure 8 and working your way backwards through Smith's work would be the way to go coming from boygenius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hadz9rZH5zI

Bright Bart posted:

I'm curious if anyone wants to suggest some lyrical indie rock/pop/folk.

I don't mean the focus is just singing over simple chords. The lyrics may not be even be the best part.

Just that they're not an afterthought and instead are chosen to be meaningful or at least poetic in the way a poet choses words i.e. not just because they happen to rhyme or sound cool or relate to the title.

Think Elliott Smith or Joanna Newsom both for an idea of what I mean and how varied the music itself could be.

The poet David Berman is really best known for his work as a musician in his bands the Silver Jews, and Purple Mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBAVX1oslEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZKMa-ByLBQ

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

abraham linksys posted:

i fuckin loved illinois and age of adz but carrie & lowell being an album of just the saddest indie folk imaginable meant i never got around to listening to it. like, casmir pulaski day is the only song i have just straight up teared-up listening to; an entire of album of that would probably kill me. Javelin seems even more brutal in this regard

Javelin didn't seem all that brutal to me, but I didn't really get much of anything out of it despite other people saying it's one of his greatest ever, so maybe I'm just missing something. Either way, objectively it seems less depressing than Carrie & Lowell.

Ascension isn't difficult, it's worth a try for sure. I wasn't the biggest fan of that either, but it's still good enough that I can imagine someone really loving it.

I'm the weirdo who actually liked Convocations. Or at least, it's the absolute best music for when I'm having trouble sleeping, and I mean that in the best way. Of course that also means I probably wouldn't recognize the last half of it or so. (Even though it gets an outsized representation in my algorithms.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm getting fukken old enough for Illinoise to start sounding nostalgic for me. Sufjan just has a way about capturing incredible profundity in simple and idiosyncratic lyrics that I really envy. The little transformations in the chorus of Chicago, the repeating imagery in Casimir Pulaski Day. I think it's just a transformative album to listen to when you're young.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's just a transformative album to listen to when you're young.

If you were a teenager or in your twenties, maybe even thirties when it came out you probably hadn't heard anything remotely like it. And if you had it would have been from decades ago and/or in a different genre.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Bright Bart posted:

I don't mean the focus is just singing over simple chords. The lyrics may not be even be the best part.

Just that they're not an afterthought and instead are chosen to be meaningful or at least poetic in the way a poet choses words i.e. not just because they happen to rhyme or sound cool or relate to the title.

Think Elliott Smith or Joanna Newsom both for an idea of what I mean and how varied the music itself could be.

They are fairly well known and an older band - but The Weakerthans have some of my favourite lyrics in all of indie music. Literary and lyrical without being as, for lack of a better word, pretentious as other bands I'd describe similarly like the Decemberists.

I want to call requests through heating vents
And hear them answered with a whisper, "No"
To crack the code of muscles, slacken, tense
Let every second step in boots on snow

Complete your name with accents I can't place
That stumble where the syllables combine
Take depositions from a stranger's face
Paint every insignificance a sign

So tell me nothing matters, less or more
Say "Whatever we think actions are
We'll never know what anything was for
If near is just as far away as far"

And I'm permitted one act I can save
I choose to sit here next to you and wave

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bright Bart posted:

You might like:

Waxahatchee's earlier albums like American Weekend and Cerulean Salt. This is before her rock band era with Out in the Storm and Ivy Tripp, which are also pretty great and less simplistic musically than her earlier stuff. She is now in her folk country era with St Cloud and Tigers Blood. I don't think she's ever put out a bad album TBH, and I do not say this lightly. American Weekend was done by just Katie herself in a cabin and as was later revealed this year, a lot of drugs. Since I was already a fan of hers I ended up learning a lot of her songs since she usually does fairly simple progressions, I often described her music as a delivery system for her lyrics.

Great Grandpa's album Four of Arrows

The Weakerthans as posted earlier

The Magnetic Fields. I'm like their biggest fan already by default, but the man can write. He did 69 love songs as an album and that's exactly what it is. I like Wayward Bus, Holiday, Charm of the Highway Strip and Get Lost the best. He does do lot with synths, but he also does a lot with all kinds of different instruments in general. He also did an entire album just acoustic and other such concept albums after 69 Love Songs. He did 50 Song Memoir, which is his own life in song, that I feel is probably the most focused on lyrics because the story is the whole intent of the album

The Mountain Goats also focus heavily on the lyrics, to the point their most famous album All Hail West Texas at times can be said to barely have music playing at all except for an acoustic guitar pretty low in the mix.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thanks again for recommendations.

When I opened up the Silver Jews track the sidebar had a mix with them, Elliott Smith, and Joanna Newsome. So unless Google is spying on what I write on SA there does seem to be a linking thread. And I would presume that's lyricism (not even so much lyrical content) since so much else about them is different. Then again, it could just be strong overlap of fans for all of these.

Another one in the title of the mix was Neutral Milk Hotel. I always find it a little perplexing when people talk about a NMH playlist or that it's one of their favourite bands. They made one album anyone cares about or is likely familiar with (even the fans!). It's definitely a fine album. But I think they've definitely received a disproportionate legacy from it relative to what others bands that put out a stellar record and then disappeared have. (I am aware that all the band members have put out a ton of music both before and after NMH.)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I do want to state for the record that I am not trying to be pretentious about this. It's just another avenue I want to explore.

Some of my favourite artists include some really maudlin and/or pseudointellectual stuff in their work. And on the other hand some of my favourite songs have very few lyrics.

Phoenix's 'Fences' is a good example. The best part is just Fences in a row/Fences in a row/Wired and protected/In a row. But they generally do have lyrics that look like they required a lot of thought and editing, including on that song and I'd argue including that very refrain.

There is also my Moby Dick. It's an indie electronica song with just the refrain When your heart beats time/When your heart beats time/When your heart beats time. I don't remember the name of the artist and so I won't ever find it in the sea of songs that have that line. And I don't remember the melody so I can't use one of those apps where you sing or tap it out. I just remember being in love with it and people playing it all the time at parties I went to circa 2010.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
dang I never realized that weakerthans track I posted earlier is a sonnet. that's cool as hell.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hahaha and I had no idea that The Weakerthans isn't also fronted by John Darnielle. I still kinda can't believe it lol

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bright Bart posted:

If you were a teenager or in your twenties, maybe even thirties when it came out you probably hadn't heard anything remotely like it. And if you had it would have been from decades ago and/or in a different genre.

Michigan came out a couple years earlier and was a fairly big deal.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

abraham linksys posted:

Carrie & Lowell is my favorite, and I've been a fan since Illinoise. Its INCREDIBLE

but yes I cry when listening to it

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The closing of Phoebe Bridgers' Punisher takes a lot of influence from several tracks on Illinoise!. It was funny hearing people debate this with some saying people are hearing things that aren't there.* Then it turns out Phoebe specifically envisioned the song as a Sufjan-like way to finish the album off with, and hired the guy who composed the brass parts of Chicago.

It'd be cool if she maybe repeated this, although sparingly, since it was by far the most loved song on her album.

*I got really frustrated one time when someone played something and I was like, 'oh, this is a bit similar to x' and they were like where are you okay dude? I was like no it does. They're like no it doesn't that's also cool but this is nothing like it. Then I looked it up later and it was the same producer and had several of the same writers.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 26, 2024

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
Sufjan obviously peaked covering hotline bling on this tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FX34TjJe-c

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

The first bleachers album is great but haven’t really been able to get into the rest of them.

I also like the terrible thrills record which is the first bleachers album with different singers like Sara barellis, charli xcx, Carly Rae jepsen, luscious

Oh yeah that's cool too. The first album is his best but he still has some good songs spread across the others, like https://open.spotify.com/track/3ySU5vwQB33iGulwcUL9qQ?si=0iG0982xQ0ezY0ZnKQEdig&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A10HKbC9lKDHGQvndGck6XJ and https://open.spotify.com/track/4lKg94fHZZ3pozsNFTew2x?si=Mgw5Jy_4QcGn2bT5EcA63Q

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

They are fairly well known and an older band - but The Weakerthans have some of my favourite lyrics in all of indie music. Literary and lyrical without being as, for lack of a better word, pretentious as other bands I'd describe similarly like the Decemberists.

I want to call requests through heating vents
And hear them answered with a whisper, "No"
To crack the code of muscles, slacken, tense
Let every second step in boots on snow

Complete your name with accents I can't place
That stumble where the syllables combine
Take depositions from a stranger's face
Paint every insignificance a sign

So tell me nothing matters, less or more
Say "Whatever we think actions are
We'll never know what anything was for
If near is just as far away as far"

And I'm permitted one act I can save
I choose to sit here next to you and wave

gently caress Winnepeg

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

How is this guy pushing 50?

Really, wtf

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Really, wtf

I haven't heard that song. Sufjan has this really cool thing where he can make the melancholy, super sad or even terrifying sound somewhat upbeat (think Pumped Up Kicks but less explicit). Chicago about being destitute in Illinois. Casimir Pulaski Day for obvious reasons. Even the title track from Seven Swans is a kind of sentimental ballad that looks like it's about to peak with him seeing God in nature; but then, nope, it's actually the end of the world from Revelations.

Then you have this song, which is not only upbeat, not only a celebration of mortality, but actually a reason to be happy if you believe in a heaven but not a hell. And it starts by announcing that everyone in the audience and all their children and grandchildren are gonna die.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 26, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Really, wtf

I assume you're talking about how great he looks? Dude is jacked, so he must work out. He's never seemed like a major partier, despite being a musician. And gay guys generally take better care of their skin than straight guys, the majority of my gay friends look a good 10 years younger than my straight friends the same age. And not having kids probably helps. He might also just be super lucky genetically, his brother Marzuki is also a very good looking guy.

Also that video is from like 8 or 9 years ago.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm embarrassed not to know this but, purely in terms of demographic statistics, if you're a man with a male partner are you more likely to be gay or bisexual?

Because bi people don't have a stereotype of being fit. The stereotype I'm pretty sure if that of a skinny, cool dressing but awkward and anxious indie kid who makes finger guns at people and then stays up all night thinking how lame that was. That and never knowing how to hold themselves up or sit anywhere because you do those things differently when you're trying to get dudes v. ladies.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

I'm embarrassed not to know this but, purely in terms of demographic statistics, if you're a man with a male partner are you more likely to be gay or bisexual?

It's hard to get accurate statistics on this because homophobia tends to deter men from admitting some same sex attraction when they are primarily attracted to opposite sex partners, or are in an opposite sex relationship.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
mildly obsessed with this single by a japanese band i found on the "wasabi" apple music playlist, Johnnivan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcUSwTBoS8

their 2022 album is pretty good too, though it sometimes gets a little too, uh... muse-y? the three singles they've put out since Kayoesque are all over the fuckin place so really dunno what this band's identity is. they're named after the singer, who is named Johnathan Sullivan, and they've got an instagram and live videos on youtube and stuff, but i haven't found any english-language bios or anything.

this one is pretty sick too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edy2g5v0AhY

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

https://twitter.com/MagdalenaBay/status/1772794077345444019

Something is coming, and my body is ready

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol nice

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
How is St Vincent live normally?

She just announced her new tour. I wasn't really into Daddy's Home, but I'm normally a big fan. The only time I saw her though was for Masseduction tour back in 2017 when she insisted on touring without a band, and performing almost entirely to a backing track, only occasionally playing her guitar, and standing otherwise motionless on stage. But I'm hoping if I bought tickets for the new tour, she doesn't repeat the same performance.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nihonniboku posted:

I assume you're talking about how great he looks? Dude is jacked, so he must work out. He's never seemed like a major partier, despite being a musician. And gay guys generally take better care of their skin than straight guys, the majority of my gay friends look a good 10 years younger than my straight friends the same age. And not having kids probably helps. He might also just be super lucky genetically, his brother Marzuki is also a very good looking guy.

Also that video is from like 8 or 9 years ago.

Dont think so, i think he temporarily lost the ability to walk because of Guillian Barre disease?

bows1 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 28, 2024

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

How is St Vincent live normally?

She just announced her new tour. I wasn't really into Daddy's Home, but I'm normally a big fan. The only time I saw her though was for Masseduction tour back in 2017 when she insisted on touring without a band, and performing almost entirely to a backing track, only occasionally playing her guitar, and standing otherwise motionless on stage. But I'm hoping if I bought tickets for the new tour, she doesn't repeat the same performance.
I saw her on the Digital Witness tour and then this one and have never been more disappointed in a changing artist. Really hope she goes back to pre Masseduction.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Slandible posted:

I saw her on the Digital Witness tour and then this one and have never been more disappointed in a changing artist. Really hope she goes back to pre Masseduction.

I think she even admits that tour was a bit of a dud. The band she took on the Daddy's Home tour was amazing. Mark Guiliana on drums, Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass, Jason Falkner on guitar, and Rachel Eckroth on keys.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not a huge st Vincent fan but saw her open for David Byrne and she was pretty good live

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Slandible posted:

I saw her self titled tour and it was absolutely amazing. She has slowly gone downhill for me too ever since that album. I don't think I even finished Daddy's Home.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I love those guys so much; can't wait for LP3 everything they've done has been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

The best time to have seen St. Vincent live was around 2011-2012 because she would crowdsurf and do cool one-off things like cover Big Black - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhCo7PoVpA