Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Show was incredible, Adult Diversion and Tile By Tile almost brought me to tears, Bored in Bristol and Dreams Tonight were loving sublime. I cry

After The Earthquake and Pressed live would probably make me go super saiyan ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i burned myself out so hard on justice's singles i dont even want to listen to the album hahaha. generator and incognito are real amazing bassy stuff

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

cumpantry posted:

i burned myself out so hard on justice's singles i dont even want to listen to the album hahaha. generator and incognito are real amazing bassy stuff

3/4 singles are the only songs on the whole LP that gently caress, so you're good.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Nightmare Cinema posted:

After The Earthquake and Pressed live would probably make me go super saiyan ngl.

They slapped.

Biggest crowd pops were probably for Archie and Belinda says but Not My Baby and Velveteen were really impressive too. Only song that was a little flat to me was Pharmacist which I love on record. 10/10 show though and the house was packed, definitely a bigger crowd than I was expecting

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Oh, and Hey. People went insane after Hey.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bismack Billabongo posted:

They slapped.

Biggest crowd pops were probably for Archie and Belinda says but Not My Baby and Velveteen were really impressive too. Only song that was a little flat to me was Pharmacist which I love on record. 10/10 show though and the house was packed, definitely a bigger crowd than I was expecting

I saw them on Wednesday (and if Setlist is to be believed, we got one more song than you, so hah!), and yeah, overall cool show. I really appreciated the camera setup. I thought it was a cool effect and led to a lot of great images.

I was disappointed the people on Reddit didn’t like Spllit. I’m not going to listen to their music, but I thought it was cool. And the drummer broke his snare! They had good stage presence, and the guitarist dude filled in the blank space while they fixed up the drum situation. They engaged me for their set, which is a lot more than some other opening acts.

I do remember one opening act where their music left no impact, but they were so charming on when they were just talking.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHNVQ2PHTr4

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

That was amazing, but I needed it to include Laura.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pararoid posted:

That was amazing, but I needed it to include Laura.

Laura is my fave song, it's in this livestream (at 48:48 if the link doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXgLbxYZR64&t=2928s

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

CLAM DOWN posted:

Laura is my fave song, it's in this livestream (at 48:48 if the link doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXgLbxYZR64&t=2928s

It's electric! (Thanks)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
That Cindy Lee album is good as hell.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Cemetry Gator posted:

I saw them on Wednesday (and if Setlist is to be believed, we got one more song than you, so hah!), and yeah, overall cool show. I really appreciated the camera setup. I thought it was a cool effect and led to a lot of great images.

I was disappointed the people on Reddit didn’t like Spllit. I’m not going to listen to their music, but I thought it was cool. And the drummer broke his snare! They had good stage presence, and the guitarist dude filled in the blank space while they fixed up the drum situation. They engaged me for their set, which is a lot more than some other opening acts.

I do remember one opening act where their music left no impact, but they were so charming on when they were just talking.
Spllit was definitely a weird opener. Their first song made me want to leave immediately but the ones after that were ok.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just getting around to watching this. God drat, they still sound incredible live after all this time. That performance of Run Into Flowers :stwoon:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I haven't posted about boygenius in a while, so have two comments right here:

First, I'm not a *huge* fan of the Stranger in the Alps album. But that first song is wonderful for starting in medias res. It starts off not only with no buildup but in the middle of the riff and even the middle of the note that she's playing. No idea how common this is but it's the only example I can think off the top of my head of an artist doing this. Though it was likely her producer that came up with the idea I would imagine, she would still have had to say 'Yeah that's not cinvebtional at all but it sounds cool' for it to end up on the album.

Second, I am not sure if that two-note riff on Julien Baker's Sprained Ankle is something she came up with. It'd be pretty odd if she came up with the the idea of playing one higher note and then shortly thereafter a lower note that you let ring. But what I do know is that I hear that riff in various forms everywhere in the past couple of years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Sufjan's Broadway musical adaptation of Illinoise has just been nominated for 4 Tony nominations. Unclear if he would potentially get any of the Tonys since he wasn't directly involved in its production. Probably not.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He's still credited as writing the music and lyrics but the only award category he'd have the potential of winning is Best Musical.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

He's still credited as writing the music and lyrics but the only award category he'd have the potential of winning is Best Musical.

Which I imagine would be a reach. I feel like the Tonys like the flashier shows. Something like Illinoise might have a hard time, especially with no acting nominations to bolster itself

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nihonniboku posted:

Sufjan's Broadway musical adaptation of Illinoise has just been nominated for 4 Tony nominations. Unclear if he would potentially get any of the Tonys since he wasn't directly involved in its production. Probably not.

I love that album but the trailer for the play looked so cringe I dunno if I could do it.

Anyone been?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's not a super crowded year so it could win, but having not seen the stage play myself, it's a little off-kilter for what usually wins in this category. I think Hell's Kitchen by Alicia Keys is more likely for the "stage adaptation of a popular artist's ouevre" pick and Suffs is more conventional/topical.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm surprised because I thought by the strict sense of the term a musical has the singers dancing, which doesn't happen in this show even one time I believe, rather than it just being a narrative set to music with alternating speaking and singing parts.

There's apparently a narrative and from what I hear it's not super interesting (man with writers block at a retreat tells his story of growing up then moving to the big city after not fitting in where he was from). But what I *am* interested in is how several of the songs for into this story. Especially since some seem odd to randomly throw into the mix of 'Why'd you move to downtown Chicago?' e.g. Casimir Pulaski Day, and also because the entire album is like a live letter to both big and small town Illinois so a generic 'I was bullied for being queer and nerdy in hickville' wouldn't seem to fit.

I got very excited, momentarily, to see the name of the show and the theatre people pronouncing it as Illi-Noyz because I have over the years become irrationally upset when people (also) irrationally got upset and ranted that it's Illinois and not Illinoise and that people who said the latter were doing it wrong. But then I saw that the tagline for this show is 'Based on the album Illinois' so now I'm not sure.

(Seriously, people were up in arms about it. In one argument someone claimed that the 'e' at the end was just creative album art and that the name on Digital files and on Amazon was erroneously taken from that mix-up. Before you ask no I was Thankfully never a party to such arguments, only a bystander.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can see how it might be confusing because the commonly used names for most of the songs from that album are not at all the listed tracks in the liner notes or CD case.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I mean, if we’re going by the album art, it would be Sufjan Stevens Invites You to Come on Feel the Illinoise, and I would expect everyone to respect the title of the album!

The pun in the title gets lost without the “Come on feel the” part, so I could see why the official title is Illinois.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

bows1 posted:

I love that album but the trailer for the play looked so cringe I dunno if I could do it.

Anyone been?

I saw it off Broadway.

Bright Bart posted:

I'm surprised because I thought by the strict sense of the term a musical has the singers dancing, which doesn't happen in this show even one time I believe, rather than it just being a narrative set to music with alternating speaking and singing parts.

There's apparently a narrative and from what I hear it's not super interesting (man with writers block at a retreat tells his story of growing up then moving to the big city after not fitting in where he was from). But what I *am* interested in is how several of the songs for into this story. Especially since some seem odd to randomly throw into the mix of 'Why'd you move to downtown Chicago?' e.g. Casimir Pulaski Day, and also because the entire album is like a live letter to both big and small town Illinois so a generic 'I was bullied for being queer and nerdy in hickville' wouldn't seem to fit.

Yes, it's not a traditional musical. There is a band on stage that plays the music from the album. The actors on stage tell the story through dance, and there is absolutely zero dialogue. The story actually works pretty well.

Essentially, A group of friends gather around a campfire and share stories, such as "John Wayne Gacy Jr," (which is very sad as the dancers interpret these happy families being torn apart), "They are night zombies!" (which talks about how these men from history still haunt us), "The Man of Metropolist" (probably the most joyous dance routine, the dancers are able to facsimile Superman flying with the create use of a cape, and flying on one leg).

The main story is loosely based on Sufjan's real life. His avatar (Henry) in the show shares the story of his dad remarried to a woman from "Decatur", and they moved down there, and it sucked, but he made two best friends, Carl, and Shelby. Carl and Henry get tired of small town life, and move to "Chicago," in a beautiful sequence where they use a steering wheel, and the dancers fly around with lights to show traffic, and eventually New York. There, they learn news that Shelby is dying through "Casimir Pulaski Day," and Carl wants to return home to see her, but Henry refuses, and Carl leaves without him. Meanwhile Henry meets Douglas (implied to be Sufjan's deceased boyfriend Evans), and they fall in love with "A Predatory Wasp." Carl gets home, but it's too late for Shelby, and we witness him kill himself over and over again by jumping from "The Seers Tower."

It's a lot more effective than my crude language can evoke. Here's the "set list"

Act 1:
Three Stars
Come On! Feel the Illinoise
Jacksonville
Zombies
John Wayne Gacy Jr
Man of Metropolis

Act 2:
Decatur
Chicago
To the Works of the Rock River Valley Region
Casimir Pulaski
Prairie Fire
Predatory Wasp
In this Temple
Seer's Tower
A Conjunction of Drones

Act 3:
Chicago reprise
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
Epilogue (or Riffs and Variations on Out of Egypt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7QtYFmepE

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 30, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thank you for the synopsis!

Also? I just had an important question about Sufan pop into my head:

Is he the Millenial Bob Dylan? More like our Paul Simon? I don't mean in terms of talent, mainstream success, or even style although you can imagine Stevens and Simon being from the same period and on the same shelves without too much of a shock if you didn't already know who they were. I mean like the cultural role played.

Who exactly is he to us? (As a neurotic Millenial I can only think of things and people by comparing them to other things or people.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My wife has often compared him to Kate Bush. Eclectic yet always recognizable, cornerstone albums across several different genres, highly influential yet nobody else sounds quite like him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

exquisite tea posted:

My wife has often compared him to Kate Bush. Eclectic yet always recognizable, cornerstone albums across several different genres, highly influential yet nobody else sounds quite like him.

Yeah that's a good one. Comparisons don't have to be exact obviously, but when I think of Dylan I think of somebody who makes salt-of-the-earth type music that can be appreciated by anyone and easily covered, which definitely is not Sufjan's MO.

Also, still waiting on Sufjan's MO album

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Spotify thinks that because of my love of Sufjan, that I must love all sad singer songwriters, and I have to push back because Sufjan is pretty much the only sad singer songwriter I listen to, but even then the stuff I like by him the best is his more upbeat stuff. Hell, I even really enjoy his rap group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYV24IIg5w4

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for this.

Looks like Gonzalez hired a completely different band than when I saw M83 like 3 yrs ago (fantastic concert btw). I think at one point he put an open call for bassists on instagram. Very James Brown of him.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I like M83 but it's hard not to realize that a disproportionate number of their songs, the plurality if not majority, are about the near literal/supernatural magic of childhood. That's for both the songs and their videos. Which is fine. Plenty of artists make 90% of their songs about love. DCfC basically turned 'We were in love, it was passionate but the passion faded, and now things are so different I'm not sure it was actually real love in the first place' from a single to a multi-album career. And those are the songs everyone likes best.

It's just... really noticeable.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 1, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bright Bart posted:

I like M83 but it's hard not to realize that a disproportionate number of their songs, the plurality if not majority, are about the near literal/supernatural experience of childhood. That's for the songs and their videos. Which is fine. Plenty of artists make 90% of their songs about love. DCfC basically turned 'We were in love, it was passionate but the passion faded, and now things are so different I'm not sure it was actually real love in the first place' from a single to a multi-album career. And those are the songs everyone likes best.

They're French.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmC2QQESN6E

Willow tiny desk, she has such an insane voice, a whole lot of power in that lower range

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Bright Bart posted:

I like M83 but it's hard not to realize that a disproportionate number of their songs, the plurality if not majority, are about the near literal/supernatural experience of childhood. That's for the songs and their videos. Which is fine. Plenty of artists make 90% of their songs about love. DCfC basically turned 'We were in love, it was passionate but the passion faded, and now things are so different I'm not sure it was actually real love in the first place' from a single to a multi-album career. And those are the songs everyone likes best.

This is why Ween are the greatest songwriters of all time. Mostly joking

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Nihonniboku posted:

I saw it off Broadway.

Yes, it's not a traditional musical. There is a band on stage that plays the music from the album. The actors on stage tell the story through dance, and there is absolutely zero dialogue. The story actually works pretty well.

Essentially, A group of friends gather around a campfire and share stories, such as "John Wayne Gacy Jr," (which is very sad as the dancers interpret these happy families being torn apart), "They are night zombies!" (which talks about how these men from history still haunt us), "The Man of Metropolist" (probably the most joyous dance routine, the dancers are able to facsimile Superman flying with the create use of a cape, and flying on one leg).

The main story is loosely based on Sufjan's real life. His avatar (Henry) in the show shares the story of his dad remarried to a woman from "Decatur", and they moved down there, and it sucked, but he made two best friends, Carl, and Shelby. Carl and Henry get tired of small town life, and move to "Chicago," in a beautiful sequence where they use a steering wheel, and the dancers fly around with lights to show traffic, and eventually New York. There, they learn news that Shelby is dying through "Casimir Pulaski Day," and Carl wants to return home to see her, but Henry refuses, and Carl leaves without him. Meanwhile Henry meets Douglas (implied to be Sufjan's deceased boyfriend Evans), and they fall in love with "A Predatory Wasp." Carl gets home, but it's too late for Shelby, and we witness him kill himself over and over again by jumping from "The Seers Tower."

It's a lot more effective than my crude language can evoke. Here's the "set list"

Act 1:
Three Stars
Come On! Feel the Illinoise
Jacksonville
Zombies
John Wayne Gacy Jr
Man of Metropolis

Act 2:
Decatur
Chicago
To the Works of the Rock River Valley Region
Casimir Pulaski
Prairie Fire
Predatory Wasp
In this Temple
Seer's Tower
A Conjunction of Drones

Act 3:
Chicago reprise
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
Epilogue (or Riffs and Variations on Out of Egypt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7QtYFmepE

I'm not sure about previous productions, but The Park Avenue Armory run and the Broadway run distributed programs with Henry's journal, which helps flesh out the show's narrative.

Here's the program from Park Avenue Armory:
https://issuu.com/parkavenuearmory/docs/paa-illinoise-program-issuu-r1

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

resident posted:

No you’re right with this. Ween rule.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

interpunct posted:

I'm not sure about previous productions, but The Park Avenue Armory run and the Broadway run distributed programs with Henry's journal, which helps flesh out the show's narrative.

Here's the program from Park Avenue Armory:
https://issuu.com/parkavenuearmory/docs/paa-illinoise-program-issuu-r1

Very convenient link! I had been debating scanning my copy, but had decided it was too much work.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

resident posted:

100% not a joke

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmC2QQESN6E

Willow tiny desk, she has such an insane voice, a whole lot of power in that lower range
This is the same "I Whip My Hair Back And Forth" Willow? Will Smith's daughter Willow? Just making sure.

Yeah, her voice is wild. I need to listen to more of her stuff.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

This is the same "I Whip My Hair Back And Forth" Willow? Will Smith's daughter Willow? Just making sure.

Yeah, her voice is wild. I need to listen to more of her stuff.

Yep, same one.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i mean that song transparent soul is a goddamn classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I was so excited Washed Out was putting out new music and of course the first single has an accompanying music video that is proudly full AI generated

Lol