Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The first time I saw her, 10 years ago! she was still doing the bit where she climbed into the balcony. I was on the rail and she was balanced on it right in front of me for a few seconds until I realised she was waiting for me to hold her foot so she could walk on top of the crowd. The first Masseduction tour was disappointing but she did a proper one the year after, and I liked the Daddy's Home show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Thoughts? Have you noticed this personally?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/mar/29/song-lyrics-getting-simpler-more-repetitive-angry-and-self-obsessed-study

The full study: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-55742-x

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Exciting times!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

I mean, I really like the Twilight Sad? :shrug:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Feels like we’re in a phase where you write a 45 second clip for tik tok and then loop it a few times to make it a song for sure.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

^burtle posted:

Feels like we’re in a phase where you write a 45 second clip for tik tok and then loop it a few times to make it a song for sure.

There’s songs like that, and there are other songs that do different things.

Like Jack Harlow’s Loving on Me is totally that. It’s an amorphous blob of a song that does nothing with its run time except prove that nobody is more mid than Harlow. It’s a big hit today, but it will be forgotten. On the other hand, we have songs like Olivia Rodrigo’s vampire that is constantly changing, with each section having a unique sound to it. Hardly 45 seconds looped to 2:30, unlike that Jack Harlow song.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is just Old man yelling at clouds, even with thier research. I'll just fire up some Doo-Wop hits from the 50s to hear some lyrical complexity or early rave/house music from the 80s for that matter.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Aramoro posted:

This is just Old man yelling at clouds, even with thier research. I'll just fire up some Doo-Wop hits from the 50s to hear some lyrical complexity or early rave/house music from the 80s for that matter.

Oh, so you’ve seen Rick Beato’s YouTube channel?

I hate how music theory YouTube gives him a pass for his crappy, low effort content. He did a video recently on lyrics that was just him rambling aimlessly about Jack Harlow’s Loving on Me (so we both agree that the song is bad), before he recites the entirety of Across the Universe, and then plays the first verse on guitar, and tries to show how much more meaningful lyrics used to be. Would the comparison work with Sun King or Because or Please Please Me?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Rick Beato's dumb rear end. Like there aren't a million good bands with quality lyrics like Last Dinner Party or Angel Olson or The Chats

as I was in the midst of making a typo I was thinking I should have a band called Anger Olson

wait is it Olsen or Olson

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't think Rick knows anything about current indie, which is funny cause it answers all his complaints about "modern" music.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 29, 2024

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, and of course when people talk about "music" they're talking about the toppest of top 40. I was watching this guy's series "Trainwreckords" where he talked about punk being nonexistent in the 80s, especially the early 80s.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The point of the Beatles is that you can tune out the lyrics as little ditty afterthoughts and then get hit in the feels with the next verse or song. That's like the point of listening to that band.

I wasn't awestruck by the Olivia R. song. But reminded me of Hayley Williams' Rose, Lotus, Violet, Iris, which is a song that largely follows a formula but makes incremental changes throughout so that even the chorus is different each time. Have a listen if you will.

That Harlow song is something else. Is he really a rap neckbeard now? He was seen as having so much potential before he actually released his album. It had a powerful name and people were expecting dope and then got whatever mids were on that record.

Does 'mid' refer to being mediocre by way of weed or like gaming slang (e.g. middle tier being like in the 20th percentile because everything is S/A+/A tier)? Because, uh, I heard from the wind that mid grade is now like what fire was a decade ago. There are millionaire rappers smoking that stuff because anything stronger would ossify you even with a tolerance.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I like Beato overall but that video was crap. It was so obviously cherry-picking, he even made a point of saying "The Beatles' later work" which you wouldn't have to say if you were being completely honest.

I don't think the complaint is completely without merit, but I think the real culprit is that "pop radio" is a meaningless concept at this point. There's nothing that everyone listens to. The gatekeepers are either non-existent or have completely changed, not just in identity but in nature. There's also some sense in which the pendulum swung hard in the direction of "whoa this is so deep, makes you think, not like that bubblegum stuff" and now it's swinging back towards "who cares, listen to deep stuff if you want, but this is just something to dance to and that's fine". Like, nobody actually thinks these are good lyrics. They just don't care. And that does not automatically mean the music isn't good. Even though, as always, there are times when lyrics are too bad to ignore.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I really enjoy Trainwrecords, but Todd has a very alien to me pop and country perspective.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pat Finnerty is the only music YouTuber I need :colbert:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm a big fan of Greet Death and the bassist that joined after the last album has her own band called The Fever Haze that released a new album today and I really dig it. Very dream poppy, Cure-esque vibe:

https://graveface.bandcamp.com/album/moonbow

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Blake McLain is a 'producer reacts) YouTuber who sometimes points out things that you haven't noticed but can now appreciate or explains what you didn't understand.

But I went back to some videos and they're heavily edited to have him react to very short snippets. Not all of them. Sometimes the albums play in full so I guess some record labels got fuming mad and others don't care because it's good promotion.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like Beato's interviews at least.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hate how music theory YouTube gives him a pass for his crappy, low effort content. He did a video recently on lyrics that was just him rambling aimlessly about Jack Harlow’s Loving on Me (so we both agree that the song is bad), before he recites the entirety of Across the Universe, and then plays the first verse on guitar, and tries to show how much more meaningful lyrics used to be. Would the comparison work with Sun King or Because or Please Please Me?

Oh I hadn't seen this video but the Beatles are a perfectly stupid example to pick for lyrical genius. I like me some Beatles but they've got some of the goddamn dumbest lyrics ever put to paper, which they sell because they go really well with the music and the music is great.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Looks like most of the rest of their tour is sold out, but try and catch The Hives if you can, such an energetic show. Just a shame I couldn't get there until later so was stuck at the back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
missed Weakerthans chat but I know some people who would probably never speak to me again if I made them listen to Virtute Explains Her Departure

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have not, but it's a common enough thought. What a lot of them seem to miss is how music is discovered has changed unbelievably over the last decade. You now have unsigned artists like Gerry Cinnamon selling out venues and having number 1 albums. Label control over the charts and what people listen to has fallen massively. They're still there, workshopping away what the next big hit going to be. But I don't think anyone had Kneecap down as a band getting national radio airtime.

As for music getting angrier, good. Things are really lovely and artists reflect the mood of the people. Bob Vylan is angry not just because he personally is angry.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Don't know if anyone's posted these but they've been on heavy rotation this week, new Pond and Nourished by Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1Jo22w-q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlyTZ9HnJaY

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted these but they've been on heavy rotation this week, new Pond and Nourished by Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1Jo22w-q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlyTZ9HnJaY

Thanks for posting this - watching this made me realise Pond are playing in the UK this October and I snagged tickets. Cant wait.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
new Waxahatchee album lives up to the hype. What a record

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

missed Weakerthans chat but I know some people who would probably never speak to me again if I made them listen to Virtute Explains Her Departure

god. not many songs that have made me ugly cry. actually that might be the only one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Costco Meatballs posted:

god. not many songs that have made me ugly cry. actually that might be the only one.

I had never heard this song before and yes. I'm on the other side of the world from my best buddy George and I couldn't even finish listening to it.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
the other songs in the 'trilogy' are equally as impressive, and heart wrenching. but there is some catharis. They tell the story of a man who is afflicted by addition and ennui, who does not care for the cat that came into his life the way that he should - he loved him and took great comfort from him but because of the addiction could not give it all back.

"I'll lie down
And lick the sorrow from your skin
Scratch the terror and begin
To believe you're strong

All you ever want to do is drink and watch TV
Frankly that thing doesn't really interest me
I swear I'm going to bite you hard and taste your tinny blood
If you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home

I know you're strong"

And then the cat leaves. Returns to the cold streets, and remembers his life with the man, but can't remember "the sound that you found for me" - his name.

in the conclusion, the cat has died. They were never reunited. But the man remembers the cat and uses that memory to begin building a new life. And to accept the mistakes that he made.

"Now that the treatment and antidepressants
And seven months sober have built me a bed
In the back of your brain where the memories flicker
And I paw at the synapses, bright bits of string
You should know I am with you, know I forgive you
Know I am proud of the steps that you've made
Know it will never be easy or simple
Know I will dig in my claws when you stray
So let us rest here like we used to
In a line of late afternoon sun
Let it rest, all you can't change
Let it rest and be done"

loving incredible.

edit: aaaand I'm crying again.

Costco Meatballs fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 2, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't think Rick knows anything about current indie, which is funny cause it answers all his complaints about "modern" music.

Beato is playing to his crowd of boomers and 25 year old boomers with 7-string Jacksons and light-up keyboards and can be ignored for the most part.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Costco Meatballs posted:

the other songs in the 'trilogy' are equally as impressive, and heart wrenching. but there is some catharis. They tell the story of a man who is afflicted by addition and ennui, who does not care for the cat that came into his life the way that he should - he loved him and took great comfort from him but because of the addiction could not give it all back.

"I'll lie down
And lick the sorrow from your skin
Scratch the terror and begin
To believe you're strong

All you ever want to do is drink and watch TV
Frankly that thing doesn't really interest me
I swear I'm going to bite you hard and taste your tinny blood
If you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home

I know you're strong"

And then the cat leaves. Returns to the cold streets, and remembers his life with the man, but can't remember "the sound that you found for me" - his name.

in the conclusion, the cat has died. They were never reunited. But the man remembers the cat and uses that memory to begin building a new life. And to accept the mistakes that he made.

"Now that the treatment and antidepressants
And seven months sober have built me a bed
In the back of your brain where the memories flicker
And I paw at the synapses, bright bits of string
You should know I am with you, know I forgive you
Know I am proud of the steps that you've made
Know it will never be easy or simple
Know I will dig in my claws when you stray
So let us rest here like we used to
In a line of late afternoon sun
Let it rest, all you can't change
Let it rest and be done"

loving incredible.

edit: aaaand I'm crying again.

Yeah no that seem almost custom designed to gently caress me up in a way that I can't handle at the best of times, let alone right now.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I don’t think the cat dies. She’s just moved on from the man, maybe still in the place with pigeons and hiding places. I think the “at rest” means that the man has come to terms with his neglect/her leaving.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no I get that, but I just took a job in Australia while my wife and cats are back in Japan. Including my best buddy George.

I am his favorite person in the world and he is my favorite non-person in the world, and I haven't seen him in six weeks. For all he knows, I have abandoned him and am never coming back, and that fucks me up a lot. He and I have a dozen little rituals we usually do throughout the day, and I miss every single one of them every single day.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

Cats are the best people. :colbert: Can you FaceTime with George? I used to do that with my kitty and he definitely recognized me, although he was certainly confused. At least he knew I was still around, somehow, in the weird magic box.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 3, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I spent $100 so we could hook up one of those cameras to spy on our cats when we're away and it ended up being a great investment, even though they're just sleeping 99% of the time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's weird but George doesn't seem to recognize people on screens. He'll recognize things that look like he should eat them, but I think whatever cues he uses to recognize me as a person just don't translate. Anyway, only four more weeks until I see him again!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
New Glass Animals coming July 19th!

First single is out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

angrygodofjebus posted:

New Glass Animals coming July 19th!

First single is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGxON_1ZyU

Not my favorite song of theirs but I've loved their style for years so I'm onboard for the rest of the album.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGxON_1ZyU

Not my favorite song of theirs but I've loved their style for years so I'm onboard for the rest of the album.

Yeah not my absolute favorite.

I'm not sure what Dave is going through. A solid song if nothing else. Excited for a new album nonetheless.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Finally seeing Young Fathers tomorrow after they postponed their October show last year. Had these tickets for over a year now! Their Cocoa Sugar tour was one of my favorite shows ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZ4wQbqfAc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0WzhRUnr0Y

So I'm listening to this new Kim Gordon album after loving this video. This loving rules. It's impressive to me that she's making music like this at 70 years old, but she always did make wild stuff that I loved when she was in Sonic Youth, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.