Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm loving infatuated with Grimes. Musically, I mean, although those big ears, rabbit teeth and lithp... :swoon:. At first I kinda didn't know what to think. I've only really listened to Visions but it's like... some 80s Cocteau Twins opener, followed by a couple poppier tracks (well maybe more UK pop - she's said she likes to be Katy B but doing her own music which is exactly what I wish Katy B was), then like some witch house poo poo, and dare I call Circumambient a dance track? Then some more Katy B stuff, then some The Knife/Fever Ray inspiration (which is really all over the album but most potent here) combined with K-Pop, then a trance track with a little witch house, then... gently caress I'm getting tired of coming up with references for each track. It's so eclectic and all over the place but it still has a singular vision which is awesome and I don't know how the gently caress this album works for me or works at all but it works for me so hard.

I swear the fact that 99.99% of people are going to listen to Grimes and go WHAT THE loving gently caress is only like 5% of my love for Grimes. Really. Maybe 10%.

And really I just want to say the fact we live in a musical world where someone with a really, really pronounced lisp can make music - that actually is made better by the lisp - and get fuckin BNM'd and become popular is incredible. I don't know why that fact strikes me so much but it does. It's only possible because of the internet and the internet is awesome.

Also, everybody listen to Purity Ring. Being indie fans they've probably already been pushed on you but you were like "uh that name sounds kinda... christian emo or someshit". Ignore the name. Listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjC-hznTwMA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgKk8Eqyzkk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFtyKZ1Orc&feature=related

Now wail and gnash your teeth because that's all there is. They really remind me of like The Knife but warmer and kinder. But that might sound crazy - the 3 songs are pretty different after all. And there's some Fiery Furnaces slightly sinister wistfulness there I swear but I know that sounds even crazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

She is loving brilliant. I didn't even realize she had a lisp, to be honest. That just makes her even more endearing. The first track of the new album just grabs you immediately, and is still my favorite. It's like this strange companion to Bon Iver's Beth/Rest, in that "no, seriously, are you SURE this isn't a song from 1986?" vein, just coming from a different angle. It's like mall pop for hipsters. The first track is the best, and the rest of the album doesn't disappoint. It was good enough to make me pick her up previous album (Geidi Primes), but I've not gotten around to that, yet.

e: Ohhhhh, listening to "Be a Body" in headphones, yes, there is the lisp. Never noticed that before! Am I a 21st century male who cares only about her artistic ability? Yes. Does that make it any less adorable? Nope.

I didn't notice it until I saw some interviews of her. It sort of colors her overall singing too, even when she isn't θing. I think she consciously uses it to her advantage too, in that she's trying to sound childish at times (well most of the time).

Also, she just released a video for Oblivion, which is possibly my favorite track from Visions - either that or Circumambient. http://www.vevo.com/watch/grimes/oblivion/CA21O1200026 (:nws: some naked dude butt)

I dunno if the video works for me. I get the juxtaposition between her surroundings and the lyrics of the song but holy poo poo I just got to the end and it all works for me now. The ending really brought it together.

Grimes is officially my new obsession. Also I want to point out all the Dune references in the Geidi Primes track titles. And the title of the album for that matter. Fuckin :love:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 2, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

How much of the new Spiritualized album is about how awesome heroin is or just about heroin in general? If I ever hear "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" (the album or just that line from the album) again I will probably buy all the opiates in the world and then take them and die, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I miss hearing that as I was coming up (and I miss coming up), but c'est la héroïne.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Purity Ring are finally releasing an album on 7/24. I cannot loving wait.

They released a track from the album a couple weeks ago and it's incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbGpGJNVLM. I still like Belispeak better but Obedear is a close second.

I just checked and I have 217 Purity Ring plays on last.fm. From 3 songs. :shepface:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Another track from the upcoming Purity Rings album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC0MM7-okTk. A little less like Obedear, more like Ungirthed.

Less than a month til Shrines fuckkkkkk.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Does anyone else not listen to the last track on the Fever Ray deluxe edition ("Here Before") because it's too happy and you'd rather end with "Stranger Than Kindness" because it's depressing as hell? I'm just curious.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

So the new Grimes video is um... well, I don't really want to say it because I mean look at my avatar, but... it's kind of a little bit terrible.

I loved all her other videos, but this one is just so dumb. Boucher said she wants to make a video for every track on the album, and I just hope when she gets to Be a Body she doesn't gently caress around.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Probably just the fanboy in me speaking, but I kinda like that she has no idea what she's doing. It's charming.

But yea the video is terrible.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Nitevision posted:

I'm confused. You guys don't find that surreal sci-fi dancey poo poo with Grimes just messing around and singing the whole time doesn't visually represent her music entirely? This is as Grimes as it gets

I like the parts where she's just dancing and messing around but then all the parts with the chick with pink dreads and skin colored costume with fake metal bits make me want to not watch the video ever again.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Are they still ripping off chiptunes artists?

Not since their first album, which was way different and way worse than their 2nd and 3rd albums.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yay new Grimes avatar. If anyone else wants a Grimes av I have a bunch more I made. Yes I'm a weirdo.

The new Crystal Castles is really good but I hate when the best songs are right upfront. Plague and Kerosene are amazing and get my expectations way up. Then the rest, while still really good, isn't as good and I end up being a little underwhelmed.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've made a bunch of avatars over the years of mostly indie artists I thought I wanted to have an av of, but then for one reason or another never used them. So I got bored and made an imgur album of all of them in the probably mistaken impression that someone else might want to use one:

http://imgur.com/a/I2fFv

There are quite a few of Grimes and St. Vincent, some Kaki King and a couple of Crystal Castles, a couple of Karin Dreijer of Fever Ray/The Knife, one of The Weeknd and the Thursday girl, one of Faith Coloccia of Mamiffer, a couple of Nadja, and one of Massive Attack.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I can't stop listening to Tegan and Sara. HELP ME.

Or don't. I mean, they're pretty drat fantastic. It's just... they kind of depress me. Because of [reasons].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The song "50 Words for Snow" by Kate Bush is so weird. It's not bad, but it's weird and not as good as the previous two songs on the album, "Wild Man" and "Snowed in At Wheeler Street".

Yes I'm late on just about everything. Except the new St. Vincent...