Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm guessing Public Service Broadcasting belong in this thread, and they did a listening party for 'Every Valley' last night in this twitter thread, which contains a lot of behind the scenes info on the record, as well as good dog pictures

https://twitter.com/PSB_HQ/status/1274386546108575746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Is this an appropriate thread for Public Service Broadcasting to be in? Because I'm *finally* getting to see them two weeks Monday in Bournemouth after having to skip the Southampton gig they did last year as I was 24 hours removed from having my 10 day Covid isolation end and was in no fit state to do anything. On another note, I wish Portsmouth had a slightly bigger venue than the Guildhall so we can get more gigs here, or if the Pyramids would do more shows

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Do we like The 1975? I keep seeing reviews for the new album that are generally positive but all call them the ultimate Gen Z band.

I'm sure I really liked one of their very early singles, but I probably have them mixed up with someone else. Also, they stepped in to replace Rage Against The Machine at Reading (no, Leeds will never count) after Zack blew out his knee this summer and I don't think that went down well at all

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well, made to Bournemouth to see Public Service Broadcasting and the gig had a very much 'end of a fourteen dates in seventeen days run let's just have it' vibe. Probably most surprised at the clean backing vocals on 'Blue Heaven' and the Queens Of The Stone Age-esque riff heavy outro to 'Spitfire'

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

No idea where to put this, but I put on Ash's '1977' for the first time in almost a decade and what a loving mess of production it is. I can't hear the bass, there's barely any room for any drums except the snare and Tim's vocals just seem to drift in and out of the mix. I think I've just gotten used to modern records having better production and mastering than the mid 90s

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think the reverb heavy vibe works for Kung Fu, but I think the two best sounding tracks on the album are ones that weren't mixed by Owen Morris in Girl From Mars and Angel Interceptor. I'd also kill for a remixed album that strips away all of his bullshit

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think I saw them late afternoon/early evening at Reading 2004. They had to set up their own gear from what I remember, but it was early stuff so was ace

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PSB_HQ/status/1679553955473268748

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Could be Yard Act as well

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

prayer group posted:

the one IDLES parody tweet i remember is like "OI'M A BLOKE, WIV PINK HAIR / RACISM MAKES ME WANT TO SWEAR"

Saw em, gently caress, two years ago in Portsmouth. Came on without dimming the lights, played for 80 minutes and left without an encore which is very on brand

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In Wet Leg's defence, they're from the Isle Of Wight and while there aren't a lot of places to play live there and it costs an absolute loving fortune to get a boat to the mainland, so they could very easily have done a load of gigs in pubs in Newport, Ryde and Cowes. See also Coach Party

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 9, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Omg the Gossip. I used to have a shittily downloaded CD of their first album I'd listen to on repeat and wonder why they never got bigger. gently caress that's a flashback

You're right, because Beth Ditto has a loving amazing voice

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Skeezy posted:

New idles album that I thought already came out earlier has come out today I guess for those who care.

I'm halfway through it now, the guitars have well and truly been put away so far

e: just finished it. Kenny Beats fingerprints are all over it, and it leans heavily towards the more experimental/stripped back parts of 'Crawler' than going back to 'Brutalism' or 'Joy'. Also, the guitars when they are there sound much beefier than on 'Crawler', so there's that

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 17, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

First Glizzonburry line-up is out

https://twitter.com/glastonbury/status/1768185263899963891

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Keane having the same billing as The Last Dinner Party yet both being below headliner Shania Twain has shown me that I really know nothing about the music scene in the UK.

Shania Twain isn't really headlining as such, she's been granted the 4pm "Legends" slot on the Pyramid on Sunday afternoon which has been graced by Kylie, Diana Ross, ELO & Dolly Parton in recent years

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

New Public Service Broadcasting record potentially out in June, and a tentative tour to follow in Autumn. They're also doing 'Every Valley' in full at Durham Cathedral:

https://twitter.com/PSB_HQ/status/1770376538954883292

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Radiohead managed it pretty well.

The Bad Seeds do it for some of their catalogue

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

New Fontaines DC coming soon, with one hell of a Radiohead vibe from this clip

https://twitter.com/fontainesdublin/status/1779902895111971098

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Public Service Broadcasting are going on tour in the autumn off the back of an as yet untitled new album

https://twitter.com/PSB_HQ/status/1781248337053655199

The QA in the second tweet is interesting in pulling back the curtain on how much they get per show and why they're not going anywhere on the south coast or south west. I will disagree that Southampton Guildhall is too big as it's about the same size as the O2 Academy in Bournemouth and definitely smaller than the Portsmouth Guildhall. And yes, it is a shame the Pyramids has gone but its now a massive kids soft play centre, so it's not all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

gone back to TANGK by IDLES, and I really like this side of them. It's also clear that Bowen is steering the ship