Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It sounds exactly like everything else Modest Mouse have been doing over the past few years, which, cool I guess, but it doesn't sound like they've either gone back to their roots or evolved in any way. Not much to get excited over.

On one hand, this is true. On the other hand, of course I'm going to get it day one because holy poo poo it's been eight loving years since the last album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Modest Mouse released another new track and a new music video. The track is decent. The video is adorable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not at all surprised, just disappointed that one of my all time favorite bands have comfortably settled into mediocrity even though I know they're capable of so much more than that.

What's your favorite album of theirs? Mine is We Were Dead and I've listened to literally everything they've ever made, even the Ugly Casanova soundtrack for that one awful documentary. It's a different-strokes thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It always varies between Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica. Don't get me wrong, I like Good News and We Were Dead, but not even close to how much I like those other albums. It almost feels like those 2 groups of albums are from entirely different bands.

I think a lot of the silky guitar work on Building Nothing out of Something is really reminiscent of We Were Dead, and the fuzz-stomp of Lonesome Crowded West is there too in a shinier, glassier sort of way. Long Drive and Good News are the two real outliers in terms of sound, the first because it was their debut and had a lot of grungy weirdness in the mix (poo poo like Head South or Tundra/Desert had a single echo in poo poo Luck and was never heard from again), and Good News because they didn't have Jeremiah Green and his drumming is the band's backbone. Seriously, I liked Good News but the percussion suuuucked outside of Ocean Breathes Salty.

What I'm saying is that if you take in their whole timeline then it's really more of a refinement than a total transformation, they've been peeling back a lot of their indie quirks - the grunge fuzz and prog-rock stuff, which I never really liked that much to begin with - and keeping focus on Brock's voice and the guitar work. My main concern with this latest album is that it's way less oblique than anything else they've made. This is the first time Brock's made such direct social commentary and it's really not to his benefit, "western civilization is sort of hosed" is a really obvious (if true) statement and becomes tiresome even if you cover it in Modest Mouse-colored paint.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Where some of their older material is some of the music that has resonated with me the most in my life

And there we go, you're suffering from the "everything was better when I was twelve" effect.

The new track started off too much like Lampshades but I liked the breakdown that started at the halfway point. I'm wondering what the studio version of "Pistol" will sound like, I heard it live six months back and it sounded weird as hell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Those guitar licks in Grey Ice Water are still some of the prettiest noises I've heard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Avalanche posted:

Re-posting this because HOLY gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s55IghLo4eQ

Those two need to release a full album yesterday.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Madisen Ward and Mama Bear's album was sort of a surprise in the wrong ways. That initial live performance of theirs was amazing, but the guy's vocals are totally shot in the studio release. He keeps dipping into that midwestern warble and it's a big turnoff, not to mention you can hear him fighting for breath at multiple points in every song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Nothing on the new CHVRCHES album is grabbing me in the same way that Science/Visions did on the first album, but other than that, I think it's pretty good. Can't wait to see them in January.

I don't think anything on it is as good as "The Mother We Share" but "Down Side of Me" tries awfully drat hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My main issue with Plastic Beach was that the whole album seemed to run at more or less the same tempo so I'm on board with something more eclectic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just heard the new National single and I am stoooooked

I really hope that "Checking out of a Collapsing Space" is on the new album, even the prototype live version was incredible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Why didn't I know there were new Haim singles, why am I always late to this stuff

Why are their songs so good despite always consisting 80% of a single loving hook over and over again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just found out that Checking Out of a Collapsing Space is going to be on The National's new album (renamed "Walk It Back") and I am hyyyype, that's one of the best songs they've made in years.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I found U2 to be interesting up until after around 2000 or so. I think before then, they were really expanding from their original post-punk sound. Songs like New Years Day have a great New Order-ish vibe to them, and as the 80s went on, they expanded a bit. Obviously, Angel of Harlem sounds nothing like a Joy Division song.

As far as Haim - I don't know, they make fun little songs. Although, I don't think I can ever see them live. Their bassist just makes the most horrifying facial expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEIPHDFokI

It's a great song. But Jesus, the bassist looks like she's in pain.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEIPHDFokI&t=184s - Here's the performance at the point where she either looks like she's going to kill you or... what the gently caress is that facial expression?

Bass faaaaace~

I'm pretty sure it's an image thing. She's not as much of a looker as the other two so she pulls those ridiculous faces while they play. Fans seem to like it, at least.

The new album's a disappointment. Drowning in needless studio bullshit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lyrics are pretty weak but excellent sound

modest mouse is the only band i've heard that captures that "guitars are melting as we play them" feel

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I like the song, but drat that video looks like an ad for a life insurance company.

the national's videos are an acquired taste (that i never acquired)

can't wait to finally hear the studio cut of Rylan

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
new modest mouse track dropped yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fo_sW4Xfo

getting a sort of "devil and his nasty parlor tricks" vibe from these last two singles, much shorter and simpler than a lot of their more recent work

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah like i said, it reminds me of their more insubstantial b-sides from Parlour Tricks like Here It Comes or So Much Beauty in Dirt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the national's newest track might be one of my favorites they've ever released

gail ann dorsey's been a great addition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_aN81SBI3A

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sumo posted:

The National should not be allowed to put out an album in the Spring/Summer and I say this as a fan of The National

*crooning violins*

let's go to the beach past the beach
where the girls wear their white velvet
run some sunscreen on your skinny neck
i can't get away with this

oh when you turn away, turn away
just don't bump me with your
amer-i-can el-bow
amer-i-can el-bow

*crunchy drum solo*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i am really disappointed by that cut of Rylan, hopefully the album version will have more of berninger's vocals and less of the backup singers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

What is up with Rylan by The National?

It's like this mythical unicorn of a song (that is now coming out on the new album on Friday and they've played it a few times in the past on shows like KEXP) - but it's not really any good. It's just a slow rambling mess with no hook or structure or really anything that makes it sound like a hit National song.

So why do the fans obsess over it so much?

it's just been demoed for a while and people were waiting for a proper studio cut, mostly

not sure what you mean by "no structure," it's a pretty standard "verse 1 - chorus - verse 2 - chorus - bridge - chorus" affair

if anything it's poppier than most of their songs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rylan to me is a song about commiserating with a severely depressed kid by telling him that everyone else is as broken and diseased as he is and that’s a Big Mood

e: really not liking the changes to the chorus' lyrics, the rhymes don't even scan anymore

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Where is Her Head is the standout for me so far

e: the moment i first heard that stabbing violin in the opening thirty seconds i knew i was in for a fuckin ride

further thoughts: they sort of botched "rylan." changing the chorus' lyrics to eliminate the phrasal repetition and cutting the third chorus out entirely ruins the song's flow to a degree that not even the enhanced percussion can save. the title track is quite nice especially in the last minute, "dust swirls in strange light" is pleasantly strange though i'm not sure how well it'll hold up to repeat listens, "oblivions" is great as mentioned. the two long tracks i'm going to have to settle into and "hey rosey" and "roman holiday" just feel like generic mid-tempo dirges right now, though i like the keyboards on the latter

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 17, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

this and Franz Ferdinand's ST are intertwined forever in my mind, they remind me of being 13

terrible year, great albums

It wasn't that great. Maybe your tastes haven't developed at all in the last 15 years, but I'm comin outta my cage and I've been doing JUST FINE gotta gotta be down because I want it all, it started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this, it was only a kiss, IT WAS ONLY A KI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as someone who hasn't been impressed with modest mouse's recent tracks, i saw this tumblr post and while it's just a parody it kind of slaps

"i'll have a nice day too many times" is a solid line

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Matt Berninger’s solo album came out today

I like it when the mumbly man sings the sad words

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this got recc'd to me and it's pleasantly mellow, has a tinge of surf-rock to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMGCeWS7E3k

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Her Dryer posted:

thanks for reminding me, alligator/boxer/high violet is a very good trio of albums, and Trouble Will Find Me has some good songs on it but is also the start of an obvious and natural decline.

matt berninger knows how to do exactly one thing and if you like the exactly one thing he does then i don't think any of their albums can steer you wrong

high violet was a bit weirder than the rest but i am easy to find is one of my favorite albums period

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

New Future Islands, my dudes
https://youtu.be/G4ZMxNYjuJI

tiny man doing his tiny man dance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
otoh the golden casket was a complete dud

I don’t think Marr’s silky guitar chops can change much if Brock’s songwriting doesn’t improve

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
green was one of the best drummers in the scene and central to MM's identity, this is a sin

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the latest national song dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMabLFhD38

this and Tropic Morning News have definitely been some of the lyrically knottiest songs they've put out recently. like more high-tempo versions of Not In Kansas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imo skinny ape, cracker island and especially silent running are some of the best songs in their entire catalog, though in the case of silent running that's partly because i'm very easily taken in by soulful wailing background vocals

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the national’s new album is out and imo it’s one of their weakest - Berninger said he was dealing with writer’s block at the time and some of the songs do feel like he’s just struggling to get something recorded. taylor swift feels superfluous on her guest spot and phoebe bridgers doesn’t do much for her songs either. Your Mind Is Not Your Friend in particular is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard from them, though that’s not bridgers’ fault - the production is monotone and mushy and the lyrics are inane

sufjan stevens knocked it out of the park though. gorgeous opening track

https://youtu.be/-0v_D7nAc1k

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought Sleep Well Beast and I Am Easy to Find were two of their most distinct-sounding albums, between the former's more electronica-type beats and the latter's emphasis on backing vocals (which then carried over to Serpentine Prison). Easy to Find in particular has a lot of my favorite songs from their whole repertoire

First Two Pages is way more scattershot in comparison and i thought it had more outright duds than anything else they've put out, but in any case the relative homogeneity of their sound is something you sign up for going in. at this point in my life my musical tastes are defined by:

a) is this something i listened to fifteen years ago
b) does this remind me of something i listened to fifteen years ago
c) does it make me go "oh that's nice" in the first ten seconds

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
new san fermin single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_3q9w5RXTc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s more than a few indistinguishable mid tempo crooners and alphabet city is a much worse opener than once upon a poolside but the collabs are lovely. the bridgers one especially is miles ahead of either the ones on the last album

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
had no idea everything everything had another album in the works, and unlike the last one, this doesn't have AI-assisted lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEb9rDs0x9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
san fermin released another track. i like the sound of this one, a little bit like jenny lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5B5NzZ8VYo