Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just listened to Reign of Terror and while its not as good as their debut, its still pretty good. Hope they come to Austin for SXSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That new Arcade Fire single is my jam. Holy poo poo man I am so down for a very dance punk/disco record. gently caress yeah James Murphy man.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't disco long and repetitive by its nature? It's dance music. Repetitive is sort of its thing.

Considering James Murphy produced it, yes its sort of the point. LCD Soundsystem has a ton of very long songs, the short ones being the singles. I think they wanted to go for something along those lines.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man Sleigh Bells could have been this amazing band but they kinda lost what made them so good with their first album in my opinion. Now its just like they're trying so hard to capture that while doing something new (but still clutching to that first album's sound). I don't know I loved their first album, but their 2nd album disappointed me when they moved away from their hiphop inspired beats, and the new song just sounded a bit to high quality in comparison to the lo-fi sounding first album. I don't know honestly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw them at Fun Fun Fun Fest this weekend and it was great. I love those guys, second time seeing them here in Austin. I also saw Neutral Milk Hotel and didn't really get into it much (never heard these before this weekend). My friends were really stoked though and it was cool, they had a sign that said no photography before the set which was kinda weird (even on cellphones). After 5 songs I left, I can appreciate them but not really my thing. They sounded good though, and Jeff Magnum has a huge beard.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thats my poo poo right here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
New grimes is way better than her old stuff.

Also I didn't like her old stuff. Come at me haterz

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you don't like the new Grimes because its "too mainstream" or way too "pop" then you're just an idiot imo. Personally her old stuff was like ok at best but it was missing something, like some intense energy and she delivers that with spades on this album (and her live show, just saw her this weekend and she loving killed it).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Let's not revise history. Art Angels owns, but Visions owns too and was legitimately one of the best albums the year it came out. Like, we wouldn't be debating this album if there weren't so many expectations and concerns about how she would follow up the last one (compared to how Visions kinda appeared "out of the blue" after the actually okay Geidi Primes).

Um I said personally in my opinion I didn't really like her old stuff including visions.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

uggy posted:

Grimes feels like one of the most polarizing figures in modern music. Pretty hard to stay neutral on her considering her music and her outspokenness. I know I disliked her after she basically disowned her best songs because she didn't like that they became popular. I only was given more context in it after that New Yorker article about her.

She was right. Her new stuff is much better.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Grimes makes pop music for Urban Outfitters stores and people who write elaborate thinkpieces on why their favorite pop stars are more artistically worthwhile than others. Lady Gaga somehow dropped a more eccentric and interesting album than Art Angels a few years ago but no one gave a poo poo

Um no

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wish this pop rock band would play pop rock music again.

Did we listen to the same song? Because this is pop rock.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Coldplay CREATED the indie scene as it's known today.

So. There.

Hahahahahahaha

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Miike Snow's new album is out today (Friday)!

I really hope there are songs as good as Cult Logic, In Search Of and Silvia on the new one. The singles so far have been great but 2009-era Miike Snow is on another level.

Cult logic is still their best song.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

If a band was part of some trend (chillwave for example) that's now passed, any new releases are usually ignored in favour of the new hotness.

A lot of chillwave artists have had to adapt or go into entirely new directions. Neon Indian for example don't really sound like anything from their first releases.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

oh my god yes I NEED TEXAS DATES!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I still got the passes and I'll take face value ($255 each). PM me if interested.

I may know someone who's looking for tickets. I'll let you know my man, gonna ask around.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I still got the passes and I'll take face value ($255 each). PM me if interested.

E: pmed you

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 25, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Saw phantogram last night and I honestly was not feeling it. Not really a huge fan but I was also exhausted so that could've been it. They do put a good show I just wasn't connecting with it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure thats the best The xx song til now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Because most die hard rap fans I know don't really like them.

I love RTJ and rap, but the direction the new generations of rap and hip hop that came into the scene last year and this year is much different from what RTJ is. RTJ sort of somehow became one of the biggest rap groups/live festival artists over time. They had a lot of hype off the first album and followed it up pretty quickly with RTJ2 which personally I thought was great. But then you have artists like Migos, Young Thug, Rae Sremmurd, Vince Staples, Chance the Rapper, Future and some more that have been going into a new sound and vibe. All this plus a new Kanye album, which found him reinventing himself again.

RTJ is like your typical rappity rap group that can still get people excited, especially live, but their sound hasn't really progressed that much from the first album. They have put out a few singles off RTJ3 and they sound like what you would expect them to sound like. You have to remember that the first album came out in 2013 and rap has evolved so much since then. People gravitate to new sounds all the time and when something just sounds like what the old poo poo sounded like, then it gets boring for many rap fans. They've heard it before.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

interpunct posted:

New Dirty Projectors tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCruYl7kz4

Those lyrics make it sound like Amber Coffman isn't with the band anymore.

New album is out February 24th and, judging by the other songs released, it's probably all David Longstreth.

I think it was pretty obvious after the first song he put out sometime last year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

friendly 2 da void posted:

Getting a real dystopian vibe from this poo poo...

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/993611527965028352

grimes noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lmfao jesus christ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
“Elon was researching the idea of joking about Rococo Basilisk, and when he saw Grimes had already joked about it, he reached out to her,” says the insider. “Grimes said this was the first time in three years that anyone understood the joke. They were both poking fun at AI.”

lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
More proof about why Elon Musk is a piece of poo poo from his ex wife: https://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/a5380/millionaire-starter-wife/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I remember when I saw panda bear the show was mostly ok, but there was a girl next to me who yelled “I LOVE ACID” in between songs

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.thefader.com/2018/05/22/grimes-elon-musk-union-busting-fake-news-tesla

grimes is actually cancelled

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lets Eat Grandma had a pretty good record debut record last year, but this one is on a whole other level. Its really loving good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

bows1 posted:

drat the Snail Mail album fuckin rules.

but honestly is their anything out there like Dirty Projectors? They are all I can listen to right now and nothing else compares.

I'm so pissed because I had to leave the city when Snail Mail played last weekend :(:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
greta van fleet is pretty drat boring. Like why not just listen to Led Zeppelin instead lmao

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i never said they brought anything to that equation. i have always just approached their music as some Generation Z kids having fun playing rock music. are they good? important? groundbreaking? well i certainly don't make any claim on those points

also i think the comparison to Zeppelin is played out

You can't be loving serious. I put on their new album yesterday and literally every single song was essentially a cover song of a led zeppelin track. Every single song on the album was like this.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 24, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i really honestly don't think there is a better response to this post than to say i'm sorry you have bad ears and failed out of music class

sir you have brain damage

e: but yeah we get you're over 40+ years old and you love led zeppelin dude. is your other favorite band wolfmother? :allears:

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 25, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Like the guy literally is trying to sound like Robert plant

All of their songs have every single Led Zeppelin stereotype in them. Like cmon dude when he sings “SWEEEET MOMMAAAA!!!” That is most definitely 100% just being Robert plant lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
bruh gently caress grimes i dont care if her music slaps or not lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

incoherent posted:

My nostalgia fest is now here

Its fire. So happy to see the rapture back

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

:what:

Phoenix and MGMT's last albums were the best albums they've put out.

facts

ti amo loving rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbYljhmcmII

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

It's okay but it has nothing on their previous album IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nnTilC-854

wrong bitch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T Bowl posted:

They're certainly better than Car Seat Headrest... at least they were and have released much better albums.

dont know about that one chief

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw chvrches live last year and that show and now this stream are reminding me just how let down I was by their latest album. The only track I really liked recently from them was their collab with Wednesday Campanella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9Zs_OfEgs

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I thought Love is Dead was kinda weak too at first, but then I kept listening to it and over time it became one of my favorite albums of last year. They may sound poppier than ever now, but they're still one of my favorite synthpop groups performing today.

Did you hear their recent track with Marshmello? If you didn't like the last album, you may not dig this one either, but I definitely do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnjuUVgSJ4

you can't pay me to willingly listen to a marshmello track so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm on my 3rd listen of the vampire weekend and its everything I needed in my life idc what yall haters think this poo poo speaks for me!!!!!!!!!!! I'm into jam bands now

E: REAL TC HOURS. where my TC heads at

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 3, 2019