Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know where else to share this. I've fallen in love with His Name is Alive. Lo-fi indie rock from the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_40h76mvQ

It's this sound that is sex to my ears and I pray the 90s revival that is being heralded as happening in the next five years or so will include lots of this sound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

god drat it i was just listening to the silver jews the first time since 2013.
:'(

also The new pixies songs have prompted me to listen to their old stuff. I've been listening to trompe le monde full album in order and gosh darn i think its my new favourite pixies album. sorry surfer rosa

actually please come back surfer rosa.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Haven't done a full top ten playlist yet, but I did do a one-song-from-my-ten-favourite-New-Zealand-albums playlist, which I'm pretty pleased with. Since it's only songs from albums or EPs, it's missing Finn Johansson and French For Rabbits, but I reckon they'll both be dropping a new EP (at least) next year, so that's okay.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4VQdyLw3xfQ2MBux3UVYMh?si=vs_NDPMgSWyJDT5pR8v7eQ
As a wellington kiwi orewa dude THANK YOU. i was literally on holloway road today!
to contribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqX7rWtR8A The Beths! Geniuses!

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 30, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

I was absurdly disappointed by Wildflower when it came out, but now i think it's ok as long as you skip Frankie Sinatra, which is absolutely painful and doesn't even sound like it was produced by The Avalanches.
Wildflower was the Chinese Democracy of Starbucks-tested, NPR-approved indie electronica. typical youtube comment - "hm not feeling this yet but i'm sure it will grow on me". The Avalanches - s/t will always be there best work. And that's fine. Saying that,, er,, I'm still going to listen to whatever they put out next.

I've been listening to Broken Social Scene's self titled album a whole lot. And it's so good! It feels so fresh and cool even though I just know a whole generation looks back on that album as their college-days music. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm 15 years behind. and its all............... gonna break!!

I haven't found much new indie but wellington scene darlings The Beths have recently broken through so catch these vibes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqX7rWtR8A if you haven't already
And I remember when they were openers at $10 gigs at Meow and Carolines :') And later this year they're opening for the Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer show.
Which reminds me, I must go to heaps more $10 gigs this year.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Releasing an album on the same day as Fiona Apple while still recovering from the 'Rona probably wasn't an ideal situation for him, but the new Mali Mali is really good too. New Fiona is probably my favourite of the year so far, but Mali Mali is a pretty close second. If you like Nadia Reid, the more subdued bits of Mount Eerie, or Anthonie Tonnon you'll probably enjoy this.
And if you are in nz and get the chance to go to Anth's railway gigs I highly recommend it. A strong 9 point 8.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

It's worth reading his statement (EDIT: Looks like it was the following year, after he contributed to another ad). I think he sent it to Stereogum--the link is dead, but there's an extended excerpt on avclub that's pretty choice.

https://news.avclub.com/of-montreals-kevin-barnes-selling-out-isnt-possible-1798212793

"In the art industry, it's extremely difficult to be successful without turning yourself into a cartoon. Even Hunter S. Thompson knew this. God knows Duchamp and Warhol knew it. Some artists are turned into cartoons and others do it themselves. I prefer to do it myself, at least then I can control how my cock is photographed."

"The worst kind of person is the one who sucks the dick of the man during the daytime and then draws pictures of themselves slitting his throat at night. Jesus Christ, make up your mind!"

2007, y'all!

Fake edit: found the original piece - https://www.stereogum.com/7208/of_montreal_art_brut_do_tmobile/video/
I had no idea about this but based on your post I googled and found this: https://relix.com/articles/detail/my_page_of_montreals_kevin_barnes/
I thought he'd express regret at his 2007 statement of how "The thing is, I like capitalism. I think it's an interesting challenge. It's a system that rewards the imaginative and ambitious adults and punishes the lazy adults."
But nope. Kind of a dick, huh.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lid posted:

ok this is a confession I have to make

I never listened to Robyn

and I had a very very weird reason for this - for some reason I confused Robyn with La Roux and specifically La Roux's song Bulletproof annoyed the poo poo out of me. Up until last year I did not realise the mistake I had made and thus had missed Robyn's entire career thinking she was La Roux.

edit: i should've also mentioned Sophie Ellis-Bextor who as far as pure pop gets is like so loving great and i love her
And that hurts with every heartbeat.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is brill. Early 00s related, I've been intricately obsessed with the Purity Ring cover of Better Off Alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCp1781hrdY

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Big week for NZ music last week.

Most exciting for me was the new album from Anthonie Tonnon, who I will always go to bat for as one of the absolute finest songwriters working in Aotearoa right now, plus he actually lets his accent come through when he sings. Favourite song on the record is probably Peacetime Orders, which is a "meditation on the failure of the Obama years and also a tribute to the Auckland house music scene in the 90s".

Grawlixes also released an album. If you're familiar with French For Rabbits, you'll like Grawlixes, since they share a few members. They're another NZ band who you can hear the accent in, which I always appreciate. It's mainly a break up album (the singers are a former couple), but it's not particularly bleak. Not sure if I could pick a favourite track, but City Across The Bay, one of the singles, is one stand out.

And speaking of French For Rabbits, they released a new single ahead of an album that's due to come out some time in the back half of the year. If you like French For Rabbits and their dreamy folk sound, then you'll continue to like them with this one.

Anyway, that's probably enough kiwi music for the day, but hopefully someone appreciates a little glimpse at what we've got going on down at our end of the world.

Edit: fixing bbcode phoneposting fuckups
hell yeah, anthonie tonnon! If you ever get a chance to see his railroad shows please do. Set in community halls, most gigs have everybody take a short train ride to get there.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

Being down at the bottom of the world we don't tend to get huge festivals, but the best I've ever been to was Laneway 2014.

Oh hey I was there! Good memories of that one. Rackets haha! so odd to see the k road indie bands intermixed with the overseas big names. My claim to fame is ending up in the ambulance almost immediately after getting through the gate of laneway auckland in 2010. Effectively becoming the very first ambulance'd punter of all the auckland laneways haha oh god. But seriously, the best lineup in NZ music festival history is either Big Day Out 2006

Parachute Music Festival 2010

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Electronic music I guess! New Burial is extremely my poo poo. Sparse, finely detailed, sad, field recordings, slow melodies, haunting subs/bass and bitter vocals. Antidawn is my local favourite. It reminds me of playing an open world RPG or FPS with all the NPCs and baddies removed. Shadow Parade is also good. Long live Burial!
E: hints of Bon Iver's album with the symbols and numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Satanic panic is sleigh bells being cool and nostalgic because it really does speak to such s certain time in Western, mostly western Christianity/Baptist culture. I know it still bubbles up in South Africa. It was quite big in nz here too. The principal of our school would go on screeds about how eastern sorcerers summoned Pokémon so demons could creep into our souls. Sleigh Bells is like hey beautiful