Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm never sure what the right thread is for these guys, but MUTEMATH finally has a new album, VITALS, coming out on November 13th. If you jumped on board with their previous album, be prepared for something completely different. Instead of an Instagram-filtered tribute to their New Orleans blues/rock heritage, it's their most synth-heavy, crystal-clear production yet. Three songs have been released so far, although almost all of the album's songs (and more) have already popped up in live bootlegs.

"Monument"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNLvyXmsv4

"Used To"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4M-U4Vuqvo

"Light Up" is available only for streaming on Wall Street Journal's web site but will probably show up on YouTube any minute:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/10/13/mutemath-looks-for-lasting-love-on-light-up-exclusive-song-premiere/

So far, it's taken me a while to get used to the decreased emphasis on live drumming, since Darren King is such a beast. But this stuff really is a treat for the ears, especially on a system with good bass. It's clear that the goal of this album is to create a great-sounding studio record rather than recapturing the live experience, and I can respect that. I saw them in NYC a few weeks ago and can confirm that their live shows are still as wild as ever.

The synth-heavy sound is obviously something that lines up pretty well with what's popular on the radio right now, but it's also something the band has always dabbled in, so it's a natural fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What's wrong with bananas? :(

Personally I feel that a lot of musicians are viewing streaming services the wrong way. I don't view a person streaming an album as a substitute for one purchase of the album. Obviously if you view it that way, the comparison suggests that the artists are getting robbed. But I think it's more accurate to view it as a totally separate type of revenue. In my experience, people who care about owning albums will still buy them, and people who don't care won't. I view streaming revenue as just extra revenue from what would otherwise be illegal downloads or YouTube views.

On the other hand record companies are always obviously trying to screw people over so it's probably true they could split things more fairly.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Legitimately never heard of Grimes until a week ago, from this thread.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would definitely classify Coldplay as "Pop" in a broad sense, but they're fairly distant from the kind of music that's currently popular. Mostly just by virtue of, like, being a band. When I think of modern pop I think singers, rappers, DJs, and producers.

Also that new song is lame. It's just so "look, we're doing disco!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Knucklebear posted:

Speaking of Sufjan, he released a christmas song which is pretty interesting. I have to give him credit for mixing Joy Division into a holiday song (skip to 7:30 to check it out, yes it's a long song but worth the ride).

1 out of roughly 100, of course. Including the strangest version of "Good King Wenceslas" which transitions into Prince's "Alphabet Street". (Can't find a combined version on YouTube, possibly due to, yknow, Prince)

Throughout his whole Christmas collection there's probably at least 1 solid full-length album of original Christmas songs, in addition to the very good covers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Actually I was just describing the proportion of full-blown original Christmas songs he's done compared to the various covers and oddities. I actually quite enjoy most of it, even if portions are appreciated as experiments and nothing more.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Science WHORE posted:

It's like he's simultaneously making fun of modern hip hop and doing it better than modern artists at the same time.

Yeah I'd say that just about covers it. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have Apple Music now, so I can actually afford to get new music. Please recommend whatever, I will give it a listen.

My recommendation is always gonna be Mutemath. Their newest album (not counting a remix album) is called Vitals. It's more synth-heavy than the rest of their catalog, but any album is a good entry point for them; they haven't put out a bad one. The only one that wouldn't really be a good entry point is their remix album, but that does have some choice tracks on it too:

"Changes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T06MgGlyjbY

"Vitals" remix featuring Flint Eastwood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqRwp9gSAiA

And then there's also this track, which is actually a Japan-only B-side but is one of the catchiest things they've ever done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyj7SDuj1C8

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 5, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
No YouTube link for this, but I'm really into the debut release by Jonathan Allen. I'd describe it as slightly Police-influenced modern synth-rock. Maybe a little Tame Impala in there too. You can listen to the whole thing on Bandcamp:
http://jonathanallen.bandcamp.com/album/room-of-mirrors

I heard about this by way of Mutemath -- the lead singer/songwriter of MM produced this one, and they also go way back. (Allen was the original fill-in bassist for MM in concert, and they also worked together on other obscure projects such as Club of the Sons and Macrosick.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dugong posted:

New Gorillaz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUrpPvU1_4

I guess this is going to be the intro ala Plastic Beach?

Aside from the obvious political implications, that is Bowie as hell

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know if there's a more suitable thread for this, I'm not creating a new one unless an album is also announced, but Muse are releasing a new single on May 18 called "Dig Deep"!

There's some rumours that it'll be on the new Blade Runner movie soundtrack.

Hopefully it's either an all-out synth pop track (which they've honestly gotten very good at) or very self-aware, over-the-top space-prog-metal. Anything in between tends to disappoint.

It's potentially a match made in heaven, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

New Muse song Dig Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4ozdiGys5g

It's basically just Madness again

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. :ughh:

The climax of the song is actually pretty cool, but holy crap man, those lyrics. I don't know what it is about Matt Bellamy lately, it's not like he's ever been great, but...

Like as soon as he starts with the mention of a "firing squad" it's like ohhhhh, great, more of this.

"Into the fray, we will not obey, we'll find a way..."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hot take, I like that Arcade Fire song. I haven't really followed them, but this song has a great hook and didn't bore me even though it's essentially one idea stretched over 5 minutes, so it seems they did something right.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Troxartas posted:

I think I paid like $120 for Yeezus so that's my ceiling,but that had an led mountain that split open and poo poo, and weird faceless mannequin ladies

You're just lucky he didn't walk off the stage after 2 songs. It's a gamble.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
MUTEMATH is back with a new one, and it is something. Not sure what to compare it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUyLdihndc

They've been playing variants of this live since about 2013, but it didn't make the cut for the previous album. Seemed like they were never able to get it to form a cohesive song, as it kind of meandered around a lot with a bunch of different ideas. But I think they finally managed to harness that into a proggish sort of energy. It kind of goes all over the place, but in a good way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely have that feeling sometimes as well, although I think streaming services have been helpful for me in that regard. Without them, I'm almost certain I'd be even more tied down to my old favorites, especially at this stage of life where I don't really have much time to just sit at my computer with headphones on. (I suspect the time people stop getting into new artists is suspiciously close to the time they have kids, and they emerge from the haze 20 years later with no idea what happened in music during that time.)

Any time I hear about some artist or album that I'm remotely curious about, I can go ahead and listen to it (in the car, usually). I think almost every album I've bought in the past 5 years is either from an artist I've known about since college, or an album where I did a "try before you buy" on streaming services and would not have otherwise given it a chance.

That being said, I'm definitely getting into some new ruts. Most of the time I don't do "radio" since I can't pre-download it. Moreover, genre-wise, it's a bit of a struggle to find something I like that isn't similar to the white boy pop-rock I grew up with. That's the biggest challenge right now. Once in a while I go for broke and play through the chart-toppers playlist on Google, but it doesn't usually do much for me. Then again, if I were to do that 20 years ago I'd be hearing Backstreet Boys, so that shouldn't be too surprising.

*begrudgingly bookmarks Foo Fighters thread*

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's also the age where when you hear about a concert, your first thoughts tend to be "will there be seating?" and "will I have to wait in line?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New HAIM album is out and it's good. It took me several listens to really appreciate all the songs on the first album, so I'm not expecting to immediately like this as much on the first listen, but I'm optimistic. I think what happens with their albums is there are almost too many good hooks, so your brain doesn't have room to get grabbed by all of them right away.

Oh, and if you haven't already heard the... not sure what to call it, but that thing artists are doing lately where songs from the upcoming album start appearing on streaming, but they're not really "singles" either... Anyway, the album version of "Right Now" is drastically different from the video version, which is good since it's the second-to-last track.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
2nd single from the new Mutemath album is out, and it's super chill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ce0G8FvqTc

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mutemath just dropped the first, and probably only, video from their upcoming album. It's an odd choice for a single, since it's way more "guitar rock" than anything else I've heard from the album, and we all know that's not exactly "in" these days. (They still stubbornly refuse to push "Break The Fever", which has lots of hit potential based on the concert recordings I've heard.) On the other hand, I guess "War" is better for a basic band performance video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwUMtqW5Oc

Sadly this may also be the last time the band gets together on camera at all, as Darren King (drummer and co-lead songwriter) quit the band last week.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mutemath finally dropped the single I've been hoping they would:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od1MT-g6w8E

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He's learning to fly, but he ain't got wings (yet)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I'm not sure how to feel about Beck's album either. I'm not like, angry about him going pop or anything like that. I just think maybe when the genre/production is so straightforward, the songwriting needs to be better, and I'm not sure it is. "Dreams" and "Dear Life" are standout tracks, and there's nothing really tricky or surprising about them -- they're just really well-written songs. Meanwhile, "Wow" is another standout but for exactly the opposite reasons -- that one is all production and sonically pleasing nonsense. Many of the other songs fall somewhere in the middle.

All that's to say it's about as good as Modern Guilt and will probably be a more frequent listen in the long run, so, not bad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

angrygodofjebus posted:

I've always liked upbeat Beck v:shobon:v

Like, I'll listen to this a million times before I listen to Sea Change once.

I agree on this even though I totally understand Sea Change being considered a better album.

Personally I think The Information was really, really solid and the best thing he's done in ages. Of course that's over 10 years old now...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I would like to recommend a recent album entitled Carrie & Lowell

Unless, of course, you wanted to have a merry Christmas.

(But in that note, he did release 5 additional Christmas EPs a few years ago)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I couldn't really get into the Decemberists until I heard The Mariner's Revenge Song, which is still pretty gimmicky but it's just a hell of a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw61oITuts

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

abraham linksys posted:

new janele monae is fuckin excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGRzz0oqgUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjQq5rMlEY

also i'm listening to this new us girls album and it's loving good. i bounced off her last one but this is like dark as hell disco pop? it's rad.

What up! I've been going nuts over the exact same stuff today. Been taking about Janelle in the regular Pop thread but wasn't sure if I missed a bunch of talk about US Girls in this or another thread. I still don't really know when it came out, I just heard some songs on college radio the last few days and decided to listen to the album. 2nd listen today and I'm already thinking this is a must-buy. Never even heard of this artist before but it's just a really drat good album on so many levels.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I didn't expect much from the Decemberists album after the 2 singles, but listening to it today, I ain't mad at it. It's not all "we have synths now", there are a lot of different styles thrown in there. Somehow the overall effect feels more "Decemberisty" than the previous album. Feels like they're having fun and there are definitely some solid melodies in there. I'll probably give it at least a few more listens and see how that goes.

I particularly dug "Cutting Stone", even though that's one of the biggest "we have synths now" songs on there.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 16, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mr. Glass posted:

this new decemberists record sounds like colin meloy wrote an entire album after dropping way too much acid on election night

I do not disagree with this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Jack White's hip-hop credibility is a roller coaster. First a collaboration with Insane Clown Posse, then contributions to A Tribe Called Quest's last album, and now this.

Also, "my hip-hop credibility is a roller coaster" could be one of his lyrics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I haven't heard the new one yet, but his other two solo albums were like... This is fine, but I'm not sure I need any more Jack White in my life. And they kinda made me retroactively like The Dead Weather and even some White Stripes stuff less, which is a shame. He does a certain thing very well, but we're hitting the point of diminishing returns for sure.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean I see how someone could like the Jack White album. It's not unlistenable. And to his credit it does kind of sound different from the thing he always does. But I'm still kind of Jack Whited out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cool, I heard "The Instrument" on the radio a few days ago and looked up whatever else I could find about the album, including the other 3 singles. Never heard of them before, but looking forward to hearing the whole thing tomorrow. (It's just easier pre-loading it and listening in the car)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Friend you have quite the back catalog to catch up on

Yeah I guess so, haha. Listened to the album yesterday and it's drat good. Looking forward to diving in. 2018's been a pretty great year so far for bands I'd previously never heard of.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah it never really tops that opening line, but it is a hell of an opening line. Gotta tip my hat.

quote:

Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess late 90's nostalgia is here, and I'm here for it too. It totally gives me the vibe of a song/video I would've downloaded a RealPlayer file of.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yup same here. I didn't really know about Beach House until Depression Cherry came out and everyone was raving about it. It wasn't my thing. But 7 hit all the right notes for me. There just isn't a bad song on there. One of the few albums I went out of my way to buy this year. (I do have a few others on my wishlist.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
At this point rock music is basically where jazz music was in the '80s or so (and has basically stayed). People are still making it, and can make a comfortable living off it. And there are enough people who still like it, including critics who are happy to tell you which artists are important and good. But aside from the very occasional crossover or guest appearance, it's totally gone from the mainstream. I don't think it'll ever be big again.

Even rock bands who consistently sell out stadiums don't really make a dent in the radio anymore, unless it's a double feature with The Chainsmokers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Siivola posted:

What's this "radio" you speak of?

The button you press to start a Spotify playlist of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This new one from HAIM is pretty different from what I would expect. A chill saxophone groove over a '90s hip hop beat. I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjuA_o6Jzyo

(Very mildly :nws: as the video is mostly them taking off layers of clothing, but they don't like, get naked or anything)

Apparently just a one-off, might not have anything to do with an album.