Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Orillion posted:

Do you guys have any concerts you're planning to attend?

I'm planning on going to see WU LYF, who put out one of my favorite albums last year. I missed them the last time they came through Boston thanks to exams and stuff, but they're coming through again (I think touring to Coachella). They sound kinda like...I don't really know. I can't understand the vocalist at all and they recorded their debut album in a church, so everything has ridiculous reverb. They remind me vaguely of Arcade Fire. Two of my favorite songs are Heavy Pop and 14 Crowns for Me & Your Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

Tomorrow I am seeing Girls for the second time. The first time was honestly kinda crappy but the new album was so good that I've gotta see it performed. The guy is kinda a cold fish up on stage, to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu8jHRZymNs

I saw them when they came to Boston right after releasing Father, Son, Holy Ghost. They're a weird live act. They sounded phenomenal and all of the songs from the second record translated really well live. That being said, Chris seems to have no stage presence (that, or he doesn't try to) and they kind of all just diminutively sit there and play the songs. It was also in a theater, which I don't like as a venue at all. It was a great sounding show but don't except any energy, as you pointed out.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Sinnach posted:

Also meant to post this last night, but Cloud Nothings have been blowing me away for the last year or so. Their first album "Turning On" had a real lo-fi sound to it:

Hey Cool Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV3gGEC6aNY

Their new album "Attack on Memory" just came out about a month ago and has a more polished, clean, and aggressive feel to it. The results sound incredible (they went into the studio with Steve Albini this time around).

Wasted Days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmaTq-T4zE

I just want to second this. Attack on Memory is incredible, an honestly sounds like a completely different band.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

I don't know if anyone cares, but Cheap Girls don't seem to care about much of anything either so I'm gonna go ahead and plug their new album, Giant Orange, anyway. If you've ever spent any of time sunk deep into the mundane drudgery of twenty-who-gives-a-poo poo post-collegian, pre-career depression, and wanna hear an amalgamate of Dinosaur Jr. and mid-90's Harvey Danger, you'll be right at home.

This is from their last album, My Roaring 20s, but it's one of those songs where when I first heard it I instantly knew this band was "for" me because it was so loving accurate to where I am in my life.
http://youtu.be/hz2tN02oKxo

I never expected to see Cheap Girls anywhere but they punk thread (they aren't really all that punk sounding but they are associated with that scene/on Rise Records), so I've gotta second this. They're touring with The Sidekicks, who are a bit more punk sounding but are absolutely loving phenominal and deserving of your time. My favorite song (The Whale and Jonah from their new album) isn't on youtube, but here's a cool track.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

They played for University of Pittsburgh's radio station WPTS's spring show on campus in Oakland. I'm a student that DJs there, so it was pretty sweet. We also had Man Man here in the fall.

Other cool stuff coming up in Pittsburgh (at least on my list, not necessarily all indie) includes The Menzingers at Roboto on the 22nd, Cursive at Mr. Smalls on the 28th, Cloud Nothings at Brillobox on April 3rd, Spraynard at Roboto on the 4th, Shabazz Palaces at Shadow Lounge on the 8th, and Bomb the Music Industry! at Ormsby/Screaming Females at Roboto on the 9th.

All of the bands listed here are incredible. I mean, they're almost all punk/rap (except Cloud Nothings, though Attack on Memory definitely has some emo/Wipers sounds to it), but people should check all of them out anyway.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Japandroids just released a new track, and it absolutely owns. You can stream in here.

Also, I saw Cloud Nothings in Boston last Sunday. They absolutely ruled, and if they come through your area you should see them because seriously, they were excellent.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/08/149860995/first-listen-spiritualized-sweet-heart-sweet-light

:stare:

New Spiritualized. It's amazing.

I meant to come in here and post this, but just to reiterate: this albums owns.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Beep Street posted:

I bought Sweet Heart Sweet Light today and I felt really sad during the transaction as I suspect it will be the last new Spiritualized album I'll ever get to buy. It does seem like Jason is heading for the knackers yard pretty soon. Anyone in America should try and go see him play whilst you can.

I'm seeing him May 22nd. Will it be good?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

How much of the new Spiritualized album is about how awesome heroin is or just about heroin in general? If I ever hear "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" (the album or just that line from the album) again I will probably buy all the opiates in the world and then take them and die, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I miss hearing that as I was coming up (and I miss coming up), but c'est la héroïne.

It's honestly more about J. being depressed than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
About a week ago I got tickets to see The Dismemberment Plan in Baltimore. I missed them on their reunion tour (I had tickets for the Philly date but was unable to get there), so I'm excited. They're playing the Metro Gallery, which is a tiny space that I've never actually been to before.