Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

Let's all talk about how wonderful the new fun. album is because a) it really, really is great and b) they deserve to sell like a million copies and be able to afford that upper-echelon of designer drugs reserved for the mega-famous.

The first track is total "Night at the Opera"-era Queen, complete with bombastic orchestration and some ridiculous harmonies. By the end of it I was just sitting at my desk, grinning like an idiot.

I listened to it like five times yesterday, but I still really can't get into it."Aim and Ignite" is a really fun album, and they do create a unique sound here, but I feel like most of the music itself gets weighed down by the really cluttered production. "Aim and Ignite" was crisp and tight, this album tries to be more sprawling and grandiose and only succeeds in bursts. And i really hate the abundance of auto tune. Maybe this will grow on me, they're still pretty catchy at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else? I think it's good, like, I'm glad I got it, but everyone else seems ready to put it on the album of the year shortlist, and I'm just not that in awe of it. (e: I can't quantify music for poo poo in text, so put a number on it, it's like an 8/10, I'm just not jaw-dropped by it.)

I'm agreeing with this. The sound is really awesome and some tracks are definitely great, but the entire album is way too long and some of the more atmospheric drones don't really seem to go anywhere.

The new Spiritualized is great however; has a really airy and light-hearted tone to it even though the instrumentation is subtly grandiose.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

Nadir posted:

AM is a fantastic album. Pure rock and roll from start to finish. Their last couple of efforts were pretty forgettable but this new album has converted me. I feel like it's the album Josh Homme should have made with QOTSA earlier this year

I think it's the best album they've made yet. Every song is catchy as gently caress but there's that muscle that the album has. It really packs a punch. I liked the new QOTSA though, it's just more dark and brooding.

And yeah, Reflektor is amazing. Every time Arcade Fire gears up for dropping a new album, I always have to go back and listen to their discography to remind myself how good they are.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I don't know where else to put this, but the new Bill Callahan album is loving beautiful.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

-Atom- posted:

I think Our Love to Admire is a solid album that has a lot of good tracks on it. It seems like most people seem to forget about it for whatever reason.

see I've always thought OLtA was their weakest effort. it has a few nice tracks (namely Pioneer to the Falls, Rest My Chemistry and Wrecking Ball) but the rest of it falls completely flat to me. sounds like a really bland indie arena rock release for the time. and I think the self-titled album gets too much hate. yeah it's all very mid-tempo and somber but I like the consistently dark tone. it's a really good winter record.

but I agree with this new album being pretty boring. the first two songs are enjoyable but then it all just blends together with no real highlights.