Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I love you Rachel Browne.

Field Mouse - Tomorrow is Yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTYEy7p_rA

They need to come out with another full length, like now. You are Here was a great album but it's 3 years old now, I'm ready for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really like Bon Iver. What are some other goon approved similar music?

I'm really bad at comparing bands, but I guess if you like Bon Iver you like well polished folk rock so maybe try Fleet Foxes or Iron and Wine's last 2 albums? There's also Justin Vernon's side projects, the Shouting Matches album is pretty dope if you like blues rock.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

britishbornandbread posted:

Phantogram release a new EP today. They're my favourite new band. Anyone else keen on them?

loving love Phantogram, I've been dying for a new LP from them for ages, but I guess I'll settle for an EP.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Who else has listened to the new Yuck album? It's definitely different, smoother production along with a new lead vocalist of course, but I like it. Not as solidly good as their first album though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

89 posted:

Going to ACL Festival next weekend! Any sleepers I definitely shouldn't miss out on? I'm gonna obviously be at stuff like National, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, etc.

http://www.aclfestival.com/2013-lineup

I'm so jealous and angry at you right now.

I've never seen Joy Formidable or Shouting Matches live, but I love both of their studio work.

Silversun Pickups are excellent live as Nice Davis said.

Wilco is pretty fun live.

If you don't try to watch the Cure you are a waste of a person and I will shame you to the grave.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's just about that time of year again; what are your favorite alternative Christmas albums?

I personally like the She & Him Christmas album and I picked up this compilation last year that I really like: http://www.amazon.com/Holidays-Rule/dp/B009A9EKGM

So when you're not rocking the classics this season, which albums will you be turning to?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Real Name Grover posted:

The Rosebuds put out an Xmas album last year titled Christmas Tree Island that's alright.

All of the Christmas recommendations that people have suggested have been really great, but this one is my favorite, particularly "Christmas Dan."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Real Name Grover posted:

Feb. 25, to be exact.

Here's another: "Digital Witness"

It's gonna take me awhile to wrap my head around this new stuff. I've already got tickets to see her in April and will be interested to see how this stuff translates live.

I can't wait for this album, these two singles are loving sweet.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
If I like Gotye's Making Mirrors, but only really love the singles from the album will I like his other albums or that other project he has?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Apart from I Heard You Looking, which is a masterpiece, Painful is pretty boring and miles worse than the criminally underrated May I Sing With Me.

I'm totally with you on I Heard You Looking at least.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Yeah, it's wonderful. "Your Love is Killing Me" is an astonishing piece of music.

Oh man, I just got my copy and you are absolutely right. This album is just lovely.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Anyone got any recommendations for something in the vein of Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, and/or Built to Spill. I've got everything by Yuck, Cheap Girls, Screaming Females and Hebronix which is what I'm looking for, but I haven't come across anything else recently and I'm craving some new crunchy guitar rock.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

precision posted:

Are Dead Meadow and June of 44 too obvious?

e: also A Minor Forest

From what I saw on youtube, none of these were really what I was looking for. Way too harsh, stark production, not as melodic as what I'm looking for. Besides having guitars I don't know what made you suggest them.

Escape Car 3000 posted:

You can try Speedy Ortiz, Swearin', and Krill.

Speedy Ortiz and Swearin' seem up my alley, I think I'll probably grab an album to try from each.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

precision posted:

I could see thinking that about June of 44 and A Minor Forest, but Dead Meadow harsher than Dinosaur Jr. and not melodic? :raise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62HmxtBsMcc

It might be the random vids I checked on youtube. When I get out of work I'll check the one you just linked.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

weekly font posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irvcf6dCk-k#t=11

New Jenny Lewis video features Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart and Brie Larson in drag and it owns owns owns.

Just listened to the whole album for the first time and it also owns owns owns. First album I've listened to in a while that I immediately connected with.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

FactsAreUseless posted:

So Deep Time have apparently dropped off the face of the earth, which is a shame, because they were seriously good. I was hoping they'd release another album and maybe get more attention, but I guess I can resign myself to being the guy in 20 years talking about how good this obscure indie band were.

This is how I feel about Land of Talk.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

lil mortimer posted:

Super Furry Animals' lead guitarist has a new album streaming today: https://soundcloud.com/strangetown-records/sets/the-pale-blue-dots-lots-of/s-eSrBc

Musically, it's probably the most SFA-sounding thing that's come out of their hiatus aside from his vocals, which sound nothing like Gruff's.

I definitely need to check that out then. I like Gruff's voice, but his Hotel Shampoo album was super boring to me, hopefully this will be more fun to listen to.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you guys are talking about the hazards of love y'all are dead wrong that album loving rips. King is dead sucks tho.

Wrong, all of their albums own. I don't think there's a single one I don't enjoy.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's that time of year again, so what's everyone's favorite non-traditional Christmas albums/songs? Sufjan Stevens' Silver and Gold is pretty amazing, ranging from straight covers of carols to weird original songs. "Christmas Unicorn" is a blast, my girlfriend and I spent all last holiday singing it at each other.

Christmas Tree Island by the Rosebuds is also very good, made up entirely of original songs. This was my favorite find last year and I think this thread recommended it to me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It sounds exactly like everything else Modest Mouse have been doing over the past few years, which, cool I guess, but it doesn't sound like they've either gone back to their roots or evolved in any way. Not much to get excited over.

No One's First and You're Next is the dopest poo poo they ever put out so give me more of that. The new song is pretty good, but not stellar. I'm not afraid of the new album sucking at least.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised, these songs all sound like No One's First.

Good, No One's First is the dopest poo poo, way better than We Were Dead.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
If any of you are into funk music I have a pretty sweet track for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7OazxO-fQ

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

rear end Catchcum posted:

Built to spill is my favorite band but I've seen them 12 times or so and their live show is so boring it's pretty much the same set all the time.

I've seen them 4 or 5 times and this hasn't been my experience at all. They and Dinosaur Jr. are my get-tickets-no-matter-what-who-cares-if-it's-a-work-night bands.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I saw them after the King is Dead came out at a festival and they were a ton of fun. They weren't the headliner so it was a slightly abbreviated set and it was still light out so if they do any sort of light show normally we didn't get to see that. They closed out with the Mariners Revenge Song and even under those circumstances the theatricality they infused into the song was just fantastic. Ton of fun.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Slandible posted:

Dad rock thread.

You shut your loving mouth.

T Bowl posted:

So I bought The Cure floor tickets yesterday, where the gently caress do I go to post about that?

Got tickets to 2 of their Madison Square Garden nights myself. Wasn't completely happy with the location I got in the first night's presale and got much better when I tried again for the second night. Either gonna see both or sell my tickets to the first night, can't decide. Gonna have me a fantastic birthday weekend this year either way!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I'm a weirdo who still like to buy CDs and I want to try out The Twilight Sad since they're opening for the Cure on their tour this year. However, I can't get a copy of their newest CD on Amazon. Anyone know a site I can try to get one? I'm in the US and I know I can get it off their labels site, but it will be like $20 with shipping.

This might be one of the cases where I have to just do the mp3 album.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CRINDY posted:

The best part is when I was still a little baby show-goer in 2009, I saw a tour where Cage opened for Silversun, with An Horse opening (they were assholes when I bought their CD, so I'm kinda spitefully happy they never broke it big). Matt Shultz pretended to have a seizure and shook sweat all over me in the front row, then Brian Aubert shook my hand during the guitar solo on Lazy Eye and it didn't affect the song because they had so much reverb in the mix. The setlist was right after Swoon, so the setlist was absolutely killer: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/silversun-pickups/2009/lupos-heartbreak-hotel-providence-ri-33d46ca1.html

Somehow I weigh less at 25 than I did at 18, so the SSPU shirt I got that night still fits. I wear it to the gym sometimes. This show is going to be kind of a cool complement to that one.

Ha, I was just gonna post that I went to a show during that tour as well. I saw them somewhere outside of Albany. Very similar experience with Matt sweating and shaking all over the audience.

Surprised An Horse were jerks to you, they were super nice when I saw them again a year later.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I had no idea JEFF the Brotherhood had like 10 albums. I have Wasted on the Dream and really like it, which other ones should I get?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Real Name Grover posted:

Can I bring up WHY? for a minute?

Alopecia (which I came to late; maybe 2010) is one of those albums that I connect to a place in time, mood, blah blah blah. Never really got into Eskimo Snow that much. I acknowledge that they straddled a line of good-weird and ... I dunno, just kinda bad.

Mumps, etc. was largely panned, which I agree with because it was largely unpleasant ("Kevin's Cancer," christ). And now they've got a new LP coming out next month with singles that also leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Any current/former WHY? fans out there that feel the same way? Did they get worse, or did we just get older?

(In before "they were always terrible" posts)

I've only listened to Alopecia which I really like, and was thinking of finally trying some of the other albums, but after reading this, maybe I won't...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
All of those AV Undercover links were dead to me, I hope someone posted the Sharon Van Etten and Shearwater cover of Stop Draggin My Heart Around.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's been a while since I've been to a show and longer since I've had to use ticketmaster for one but gently caress their new site design.

I'm in NY trying to get tickets to see St. Vincent in Brooklyn in December. There was supposed to be a fan presale on Wednesday but the place to put in the code never showed up.

Now I can't even mash refresh like I used to because I'm trying to buy 4 tickets and everytime you hit refresh you have to re enter the amount of tickets you want. This is the stupidest loving thing. I'm gonna end up having to seatgeek or stub hub this poo poo I bet.

Edit: Yeah gently caress, this show went on sale ages ago, I saw that she added tour dates this week and thought Brooklyn was part of it since I missed the original announcement.

Still gently caress Ticketmaster's new site design, it's garbage.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 13, 2017

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Saw CHVRCHES earlier this year or last year, can't remember and I didn't really enjoy it.

All I could hear was the bass and her vocals, none of the interesting synths and keys that are in the songs. Now this may have been poor acoustics in the venue, I was in a mid tier balcony in the back so maybe only the highs and lows were being funneled to me, but overall I was unhappy. The crowd did that annoying thing at a seated show where everyone stood, but barely anyone around me was actually dancing.

On the plus side, Lauren is very personable and her banter was fun. Just wished I enjoyed the actual performance more.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pale Waves is awesome, can't believe I just discovered them, going to their show in Vancouver in March

https://youtu.be/y-CvcTfcllk

They're pretty cool, I can't wait for the album to come out. Hopefully I remember they exist by then so I can actually buy it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I love CHVRCHES but their new song is total trash. Sounds like sub-par Hilary Duff.

Found out that the singer of The Twilight Sad (great band) has a new project called Out Lines and they're going to be opening for Mogwai on some dates. They're pretty decent.

I saw the Twilight Sad open for The Cure at MSG in 2016 (twice because I went two nights in a row) and they were excellent, I immediately bought a couple of their CDs.

Definitely will try this new project.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Harrow posted:

Wait, did people hate the last Decemberists album? We're talking about What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World, right? I really liked that one.

Then again I also liked The King Is Dead and The Hazards of Love on the whole so it could be that I'm just the world's wrongest Decemberists listener.

I'm just starting to listen to the new album now. I like Severed well enough but we'll see about the rest

One the whole I don't love What A Terrible World... as an album but "Make You Better" is one of my favorite songs ever so it makes that entire album worth it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I saw her back in December and thought it was a fantastic show. It's stripped down with a lot of backing tracks yes, but it was loud as gently caress and sounded awesome. Great track list hitting all of her albums, the videos playing behind her were cool and she's such a good guitarist it was great watching her play.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Modest Mouse just cancelled the first two stops on their tour last minute. Like they cancelled Mondays show an hour before it was supposed to start and the same thing happened yesterday. Wonder what the gently caress is going on with them and if the show in Brooklyn I’m supposed to go to next month will happen.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

101 posted:

I saw them on the Every Open Eye tour and they must have had a bad setup or something cause the reverb was horrible. Such a shame too cause I love them. If you say there great though, I'll give them another shot when they come back through.

This was my experience as well, I think on the same tour. Just garbage sound, all I could hear was bass and a little of the vocals. One of the worst shows I've been to.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I was extremely bored by the last National album but loved the ones before it. Will I like the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Saw CHVRCHES with Charly Bliss opening for them at Radio City last night. Both bands were awesome, Charly Bliss did an awesome cover of Mr Brightside and when CHVRCHES did Clearest Blue the whole crowd lost their minds. Great show, great time.