Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
warpaint are a good band that i unfairly hated for a long time because they have two songs that are soulcycle-core and got played loving everywhere and i hated them

my friend dragged me to see them live and it was actually a great show, even those songs sounded better divorced of the context of "every hipster coffee shop i've ever been in in my life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

kinda shocked they didn't get LCD Soundsystem, wonder if they're taking a break from touring

the answer to this is yes, james murphy doesn't want to tour without having new music and has been taking a break to work on a restaurant and being a dad and whatnot https://pitchfork.com/news/lcd-soundsystems-james-murphy-talks-to-marc-maron-on-wtf-listen/

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i thought sound and color loving ruled and was mad no one else seemed to care about it

did not know about the situation with their drummer until now, though, oof :smith: think instead of listening to that deluxe version, going to get around to finally listening to brittany howard's solo record instead

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

LCD Soundsystem is playing a 20-night residency at Brooklyn Steel. I saw them like four times since their reunion and they played the same drat set every time, and between covid, me living further from that venue than I used to, and the shows selling out instantly, I thought would be fine skipping it.

So of course, they've brought back:

* Beat Connection (first time since 2005)
* On Repeat (first time since 2007)
* Thrills (first time since 2011)
* Time To Get Away (first time since 2016)

so now I'm staring at literal 2x prices ($150!) for the later dates of their residency in December and debating getting a ticket :negative:

hopefully by then they're just playing every song on the bonus disc of the self-titled. play both versions of Yeah back to back, gently caress it

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 25, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rather than being bummed out at arcade fire playing a crypto party, i will simply save all of my sadness for when lcd soundsystem inevitably plays a crypto party in like a month or something

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

which beloved indie rock band from the 2000s that still regularly gets top or second line billing on a festival poster wouldn't play a crypto party, honestly

(tv on the radio, i think in my head, knocking on every wooden surface in my house)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

self-indulgent since this is just obscure enough to not really fit in with the rest of the discussion, but ezra furman's day of the dog / perpetual motion people / transangelic exodus

it's kind of a weird exercise because there's a difference between "here's 3 great albums in a row" and "here's 3 great albums in a row that all hang together." like, i would say future islands's in evening air, on the water, and singles is an incredible run, but you have to caveat that with singles being such a huge smash compared to the previous two

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Paperback Writer posted:

Arcade Fire at 9pst (youtube)

dunno why they kept win having to stop the set to get medical attention for someone in the front on this; these "livestreams" are delayed a couple hours usually lol

sounding good! i've never seen them live, this tour might be the time

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah this set's been awesome. i'm shocked it's mixed this well considering so many of the coachella streams have been all over the place and half of those were like... three singers and a backing track

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it's the Terminal 5 of Chicago

I've always assumed the Anthem in DC is kind of like this too but it's a bit smaller I think

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

one of lcd soundsystem's first shows back was at google i/o so this does not surprise me lol

arcade fire played that crypto show last year, too. this stuff doesn't seem that much worse than the average corporate gigs these bands all tend to take, just much easier to make fun of

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

never let me down is almost as bad as tonight, can't forget that

BigFactory posted:

Tin Machine rules that’s crazy

this might be the most unhinged thing ever posted on this forum

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

im tired of listening to indie music. these artists, their four-single album rollouts, their songs about the hell of living in our decaying modern world, their music festivals i will never again attend because of covid and also i can't loving stand outside in the sun for six hours these days are you kidding me. instead ive spent the last few years getting really into genesis, kpop, and whichever one of like six identical 80s playlists spotify chooses to put in front of me on the start screen when i open it up.

did like that new everything everything album though it's kind of like what i like about alt-j while being significantly less embarrassing (still awful lyrics, but like, i think on purpose as a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypuEbVCcc8

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i mentioned more recent indie albums than you have, you're free to share as well

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I really liked the Guerilla Toss album even though it didn't seem to make as many waves as I expected.

It's my favorite thing they've done in a few records, though that seems to make me an outlier among my friends who also like them. Really accessible, and that last song is this really interesting window into "what if Guerilla Toss was just a pop band" that I kinda hope they follow up on.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I saw them a couple times 2015-2017 and they were great. they play like half of Hissing Fauna, a few songs from the albums around it, and then whatever new stuff they have out, and it's a good show. they backed off most of the stage stuff other than just having goofy costumes and a couple interludes. looks like they're still basically doing that: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/of-montreal/2022/spirit-pittsburgh-pa-13b6e9c1.html

I feel like they would have an incredible best-of if they ever put one together, but yeah I"ve listened to the records since False Priest basically once, added a couple songs to my playlists, and never listened to the albums again

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gonna be honest i laughed so loving hard when i clicked that link and saw what song that comment was about

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that LCD Soundsystem date is ludicrously stacked. might go to the Boygenius date to see Bartees Strange too

It's gonna be at Forest Hills Stadium here which I assume is going to instantly sell out, it's only 6k capacity. LCD Soundsystem was doing their NYC residencies where they'd play 12 dates in a row at a 1.5k room and those sold out instantly, so doing the math, I am very concerned about my odds :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

The capacity for concerts at Forest Hills Stadium is 13k, so your perceived chances of scoring a ticket (zero) just doubled (to still zero).

oh, that's not as bad as I thought then (though yeah lol). dunno why I always thought it was like 6-7k, I think the math I did in my head in one point was "take MSG, make the floor smaller, remove the upper deck." I guess there's just way more rows than I thought about, plus with bleachers you can probably pack people in a lot more

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if we only posted about truly "indie" acts in this thread, you'd just see people posting about acts that they have heard of that no one else in this thread has heard of, because basically anyone with enough popularity to wind up on even the smallest festival text is signed to a "major" label these days

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

meanwhile, im over here watching coachella livestreams realizing that willow smith's hot topic turn might actually be extremely my poo poo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Nation of Language is the most new wave name for a band this side of OMD.

they're also the only 80s retro band that actually sounds like they listened to a bunch of OMD

i like them a lot, saw em live a week ago at a free outdoor show. they're pretty fun live even though the frontman is completely incomprehensible drenched in that much reverb live

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ive tried to get into that genre a bunch of times but extremely few songs every stick

i like yard act and think their videos are cool, and fontaines dc have a few songs that work pretty well for me (also the frontman has a solo album this year that's at least very different backing music), but i just keep thinking about how this stuff doesn't hold a candle to what Shopping was doing a decade ago

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Nightmare Cinema posted:

BCNR - 1st album's a banger, 2nd... zzzzzzzzzzz

did you listen to the live album from this year? I haven't gotten around to it yet but it's basically their third album, entirely new stuff since the frontman left. i watched a couple sets on festival streams and really liked it though i'm not sure it'd work as well in an album format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHV8oObR54

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

miss universe is a ridiculously good album. wasn't as impressed with her last one, which was too low-key for my tastes, but still lookin forward to what ever else she puts out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxf541UI-8

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

disclosure being top line there and Jamie xx top line at pitchfork means we're really speed running EDM nostalgia, but this is the part I actually like so I don't mind tbh

that last Disclosure album was pretty good all things considered, if they give another shot at the big featured artist extravaganza thing I bet it'd at least produce a few good singles

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the setlists all look pretty sick, with the caveat that I haven't heard the last two records so I dunno if those songs are good live. seems to be a good half and half split

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i am finding myself nostalgic for music that is now somehow a decade old (i blame those early Jungle songs posted earlier) and man it's weird that wild beasts never got huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IIbbFIQTKI

if you've ever asked the question "what would alt-j sound like if they were actually good and not a guilty pleasure"... wild beasts were the answer

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i fuckin loved illinois and age of adz but carrie & lowell being an album of just the saddest indie folk imaginable meant i never got around to listening to it. like, casmir pulaski day is the only song i have just straight up teared-up listening to; an entire of album of that would probably kill me. Javelin seems even more brutal in this regard

i should probably listen to The Ascension, right? feel like that album kind of came and went but, well, 2020 was not a great year to release an album

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

mildly obsessed with this single by a japanese band i found on the "wasabi" apple music playlist, Johnnivan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcUSwTBoS8

their 2022 album is pretty good too, though it sometimes gets a little too, uh... muse-y? the three singles they've put out since Kayoesque are all over the fuckin place so really dunno what this band's identity is. they're named after the singer, who is named Johnathan Sullivan, and they've got an instagram and live videos on youtube and stuff, but i haven't found any english-language bios or anything.

this one is pretty sick too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edy2g5v0AhY

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

shame on me for ignoring all the glowing reviews for the new brittany howard record, holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNb210Z_vo

this and the preceding track blew me away on her coachella set - the rest of the set and this album sound a little more like what i was expecting (which is still good! always thought alabama shakes were underrated!), but these two tracks, drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N1Ki2cy4wM

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 13, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why the hell did 38 special have two drummers

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

caribou does a thing where the frontman has a little mini drum kit he switches to mid song, always thought that was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qumDkbGA84&t=582s

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

man usually these sort of one-day festivals have way too many conflicts to make them worth the price and you only end up seeing 1/3 of what you'd like to see, but this one's easy as hell

CSS, Gossip, Sleigh Bells, Tegan and Sara, Phantogram, Alvways, a little bit of Passion Pit, dinner, a little bit of Metric, Death Cab, Phoenix, listen to what you can make out of War on Drugs from the other stage while holding a spot for Postal Service, Postal Service

also is this a reunion show for Miike Snow? I had no idea they were still making music and/or touring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

waiting for that Wolfmother, Jai Wolf, Wolves in the Throne Room, Wolf Alice single day festival