Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
I am pretty surprised to have not seen a single mention of CHAIRLIFT, though I hope absence here is evidence of ubiquitous love. If not, they're...I'm not very good at this...a synth/electro duo with female vocals and an 80s/new wave (kind of) sound? That description doesn't begin to do justice to their artistic ability, but to me, they sound like the perfection of the recent wave of nostalgia for fast, passionate songs with hooks that are distinct while sounding like old hits, like the best music of a whole decade, imported from a slightly different alternate universe. Within two weeks, they have eclipsed the competition on my most played list. The album is a 10/10 for me, and a top 5 of my young life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayb1oEwRKDA&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFAVeejHNJQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acz31b5GiwE&feature=related

Also, seeing St. Vincent live on May 7th (anyone been one of her shows? How was it?). If there are any goons from the 'Burgh in this thread, http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/90891?utm_medium=bks .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

No Age's show in Pittsburgh last night was absolutely killer. So much sound for a two-man band. They played some new stuff too, the next album is going to be great for sure.

Where'd you see them? I'm really only familiar with Altar Bar in terms of decent venues in Pittsburgh (decent as in attracts "big" names), but I'm always looking for more, so.

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 16, 2012

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

Cloud Nothings at Brillobox on April 3rd

:woop: Awesome, off to buy tickets.

Edit: Or perhaps not. drat their strange website.

2nd Edit: Nevermind!

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 21, 2012

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

SneakyPriest posted:

I just got home from the St. Vincent show, actually. That was probably the best show I've been to, she just had so much energy (and anger). She came into the crowd for her last song and I got to mosh with her. God drat that was amazing. If anyone has a chance to see her live, jump at it.

I was there as well. Great live shows tend to be either technically excellent but predictable, or exciting and euphoric but a bit sloppy--Ms. Clark was flawless as both as a musician and entertainer. I have literally never enjoyed a musical performance, live or recorded, more than I did tonight. I was really surprised that she sang Krokodile, since it seems like kind of a musically difficult song, but even moshing/crowd standing, she never missed a word or note and looked like she was in a fugue, just singing and grabbing and shaking. Could listen to Northern Lights live forever.

SleighBells at Mr. Smalls should be a riot, too, though their live performances are sometimes kind of off.

Toadstrieb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2012

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
I gotta CONFESS, I wish I could FORGET the new Twin Shadow album :rimshot: I just got into Mr. Lewis' work about a month ago, but Forget had been on constant repeat since day one,the inspired mix of new wave influences and the lyricism of the 80s was exactly what I wanted. Confess feels like it ought to have been the debut album.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Sleigh Bells live was, as reviews have suggested, kind of an exercise in totally covering up a tiny, thin voice with massive guitars, or, a near perfect set list was hampered by a barrage of noises as loud as god.

That said, not to perv out here, but Ms. Kraus has extremely firm thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

T Fowl posted:

I think her former love of Nu Metal is starting to take its place in her own image.

That video is balls, intentionally campy doesn't always mean it's ok to be campy.

That video is a perfect example.

Agreed in full. I am not normally one to say that a particular popular artist (let's face it, if you've heard of them, they're popular) has found or founded a significant new trend in music and aesthetics, but the whole thing seems to me like the sight and sound forerunner of early 90s/beginning-of-the-internet-era/animes/mall goths revival that kind of started to crystallize in the "sea punk" quasi movement of 2011-early 2012. Looking forward to seeing her further work within this trend.