Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm going to see The Magnetic Fields next month! :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I was so happy when I bought my vinyl copy of 69 Love Songs! Where are you seeing them?

The Orpheum in L.A. Parking is going to suck but I think it's a worthy sacrifice to see my most favorite band of all time.

They're doing it to promote their new album. They've released one of the songs already. I do hope they dip into stuff from Holiday and earlier as that's just hit after hit for me. The live vids of those songs blow me away.

I can't say I'm too impressed. Unfortunately even the Magnetic Fields aren't totally immune to new stuff not being as good as the old stuff. I'm not a fan of the over the top gay theme, I like a little more subtlety. I know Merritt is more than capable of bringing subtlety to the table.

Really hopeful for the new album though. They're going to back to synths and all my most favorite albums of theirs were in their synth era.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Listened to the new Magnetic Fields on Grooveshark.

They're my favorite band. I'm seeing them in a few weeks. This new album is awful.

Most of the songs feel like nails on a chalkboard from the first measure. None of them seem to have that flow I like and seem to plod along. Maybe I need get used to it, but I don't feel like there's anything here I'm going to be listening to in a couple months.

It seems like even the best bands fall victim to the effect of first few albums being better than the latest ones. I only like 2 songs each from the last 2 albums before this latest one. Contrast this with their first 2 albums having nothing but personal hits for me.

Really hope their set is only a few songs from this album.

/sperg rant

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

Just listened to it and I quite enjoyed it. It's not great, but more or less on the same level as "Realism" for me. Immediate standout is "Quick!" and the closing one is also really nice. I think it'll grow on me, too.

I'm surprised you like "i" better than "Distortion", though, I think the latter is miles better.

Quick! is probably one of the only gems. There are a few that have a little potential. Hopefully it sounds better once I get home so can use my headphones and maybe have a drink.

"i" has a couple good ones, same as Distortion. It seems like with every album, I think more and more that the 90s were their golden age.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been loving the album Oshin by DIIV for the past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjXQJeVrtU This is the full album on youtube. I like Wait, Human, and Doused.

Some are more New Wave sounding with others are reminiscent of Joy Division and The Cure.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Camera Obscura is releasing a new album on June 3rd and will tour.

I'm considering going to their show in L.A depending on the price. This venue is said to have terrible and expensive parking thogh and I loving hate that. Seriously why even live in this town if all the good stuff going on is an expensive, time consuming hassle just to be able to get there?

I'm excited for the new album though. I can load their entire discography in MusicBee, put it on shuffle and never have to skip anything.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Went to see Waxahatchee tonight. They were opening for Title Fight, whoever that is.

gently caress me they overpowered that venue with the volume. It should not be pain inducing even all the way in the back. I ordered some musicians earplugs but they arrived too late, and forgot my foamies at work. There really needs to be something done about Tom, Dick and Harry venue killing everyone's hearing for no good reason. Any music to be had is really drowned out, like a burrito you put way too much chile on. If I wanted to go see a shoegaze band, I'd go see one.

As far as the show went, I liked their set. The group however performs as a rock group live now. I feel this is big departure from the more intimate and calmer folksy songs of American Weekend and some of Cerulean Salt. I don't love Be Good because it's a slow rock ballad, because before now it wasn't. It was a jaunty little tune on an acoustic guitar in recorded in her parent's house.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I saw Alvvays a couple weeks ago and I loved it. Best show I've ever been to.

I loved their cover of the Hummingbirds "Alimony". Been listening to the Hummingbirds a lot lately because of them too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been listening to a ton of Racecar since hearing them in the middle of the night last month on KXLU.

It's 90s indie bliss. They also had a song on Pete and Pete. I swear Pete and Pete has been like an undercurrent of my entire musical life. I end up liking all these bands that were on Pete on Pete. It wasn't even like I was paying attention as an 8 year old. I listened to a ton of REM when I had my first job in high school. The Magnetic Fields ended up my most favorite band all of time. I find Racecar and it turns out they too were on that show.

Both their albums, Girlish and Day after Day after Day, are on Spotify.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DIIV is playing in L.A for 3 nights :holy:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The DIIV show on Tuesday loving ruled.

Some idiot threw a tallboy at the bassist and actually hit him.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Magnetic Fields are doing a new album and tour :woop:

Tickets go on sale for the LA show on Friday. Hopefully it's not contested and I can just mosey on the site and grab both nights. They're playing all 50 songs off their new album over two nights. I'm a little disappointed that since it's already such a huge show with a very clear objective that they won't play any of their old stuff, which happens to contain about 66% of my favorite songs of all time.

I'm sure it will be like 69. There will some stuff I don't enjoy, and some I'll love forever. I trust him.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

Fifty new songs from my favorite band?! I did not see that coming at all. There's no way they'll play the garbage country in which I live nowadays but at least I got to see them in 2010, so that box is ticked.

:hfive:

Yeah the tour seems really small compared to the 2008 and 2010 tours, but it's early days. They're also bringing in a bunch of musicians to play all the random instruments Stephin's using as it's supposed to be a biographic album and a song for every year of his life. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the main band isn't around, but that might also be the reason why it's such a small tour so they can be all there but not commit to a huge tour.

I'm sure there will be videos here and there. Their concerts are relatively easy to film since they don't amplify the poo poo out of everything.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jenn Champion nee Ghetto of Carissa's Wierd fame put out a new track called "No One". It's on Spotify.

Man this lady just totally gets depression. Carissa's Wierd and the solo project before this, S, just completely nail that vibe. If she's getting into darkwave, I'm excited.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So the new Magnetic Fields album, 50 Song Memoir, drops on Friday and NPR has pretty much the whole album up.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/06/518379457/first-listen-the-magnetic-fields-50-song-memoir

Fellow fans will understand from 69 Love Songs that he's serious when he says 50 Song Memoir.

I've been listening to it today. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I can't fault his ambition, but sad to say I'm bouncing off the majority of these songs. They sound like they belong in a musical, which is probably is partly what he's going for. Love at the bottom of the sea was the same way. It's not really a style I enjoy.

By dint of there being 50 songs, there is at least a full album's worth of stuff I do actually enjoy. Standouts for me are Judy Garland, Foxx and I, How to play the synthesizer, Ethan Frome, and Weird Diseases. The fourth disk comes up on NPR tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be a least few of those that'll hit the spot. Conversely, "'91 The Day I finally" is pretty strange and I feel like it hardly qualifies as even a song. Like, this is the year you released my favorite album of yours and your first as this group, and maybe say something about that? I wonder how he's going to do it at the live show, as I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Edit: I was listening to the last disk and Cold Blooded Man is easily the standout for me. It has that classic 90s era Magnetic Fields sound I love, due in no small part to the cello. They didn't put up the last 10 tracks, but hopefully there's another one of those in there.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 9, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Just listened to 69 Love Songs a week ago. It's hard to recall songs and not let the music fade into the background especially up past two hours of listening time. I listened to just the first Disc so far and it's all good listening. Something about Magnetic Fields songs just make them standout amongst the rest of indie pop.

Oh man, try the albums before that. They're such a treat the first time or the 1000th (last.fm says I'm 7000 plays deep, but that doesn't count driving) .

Here's something cool: The only reason he ever was able to meet his father was because 69 Love Songs made such a splash. During an interview he said Joe Fagan, a folk singer, was his father. His current wife saw the interview, told him what he said, and then he reached out. They actually are unintentionally similar musically.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if that album fell through the cracks, or if it wasn't made. All due respect to his work after 2000, but nothing's had the appeal of 69. Pitchfork can't write a review about any of his subsequent albums without mentioning it in the first paragraph.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I saw the two day live show at BAM in December where he performed the whole album. And it was done less as a musical and more of a one man show. There was a big screen with little visuals for every song, a full on set, and he had little monologues for almost every song. Honestly, a lot of the songs were much better live. "The Blizzard of 78" was straight up beautiful live while I don't really like the static he puts over it on the actual album.

It's definitely the most indulgent thing he's ever done, and I think seeing the live performance was the right way to see it. I'm enjoying it, but I spend a good deal of my early 20s LIVING in 69 Love Songs. I would become obsessed with certain songs for months and move onto others. I enjoy this, but there is a bigger ratio of just loving around and dad joke worthy forced rhymes on this.

I will say that while the Magnetic Fields has dealt with heartbreak, "Life Ain't All Bad" is a fascinating song because it's Merrit actually mad and angry and spiteful. I'm also getting married at the end of the year and "Be True to Your Bar" just got added to our after party playlist.

Lonely Highway is still their best album.

I have tickets to both LA shows and I can't wait. I'm glad I'm in the back because there's an even chance I'm going to lose my poo poo and start ugly crying during Father in the Clouds. His father was on Marc Maron's podcast last year so I actually have heard his side of the story too. And the loving thunder he put on the track, masterpiece :allears:

But yeah there's definitely bad ones on this album, it's inevitable since it's basically 5 albums in one.

I've done the obsess over one song and move on to the next one too!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

If we're being honest, most of their post-69 Love Songs output just isn't all that great. i and Distortion are fine, but Realism is has only one worthwhile song and is pretty boring.

You should go back and listen to Love at the Bottom of the Sea though. It doesn't have the emotional high points of 50 Song Memoir, but it's a really fun album. "Andrew in Drag" is both the standout and really sets the tone for what it is.

:agreed:

Yeah, the whole trilogy just didn't do it for me. There are some songs I like but I don't revisit those albums like I do all the 90s stuff. Love at the bottom of the sea wasn't the return to form I was hoping for either, I probably listen to that album the least of all.

I just remembered my avatar text here is a Magnetic Fields lyrics lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

plz dont pull out posted:

New Waxahatchee single. Album out July 14th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpMXuzHR3I

Oh man that album is gonna rule.

I don't know how she does it. She's released an album a year or so and it's all top shelf.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Trip report from Magnetic Fields Program A.

Great visuals. The live music is honestly superior to the album. I seriously hope they release a live album or better yet, the whole thing on blu-ray.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

They're playing it in order, right? It kind of makes me chuckle that they're actually going to open a show with "The Day I Finally...".

Anyway since you brought them up I will just go ahead and say that "No" is one of the best songs Merritt's written and '92 -> '05 is the best stretch of the album (with the entirety of disc 2 right after, except skip "Happy Beeping").

Yep, all 50 in order with some projections for each song. I'm sure Stephin will make light of the opening song in his usual pithy way.

Edit: It totally worked. He used this stick with various percussive implements on it.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 29, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Waxahatchee is touring this summer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Waxahatchee released a track that's not even a single from the new album! No Curse. I found it on Spotify

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

New Waxahatchee is out today :holy:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I had Graveyard Girl on repeat a couple weeks ago. Such a good band

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Snail Mail is playing at a venue literally down the street from my work next month. Holy poo poo this rules

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Did they play Green Gloves? Been trying to figure out that octave section they play for a month now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Who the gently caress is Grimes lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Aww man :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

He wrote a whole song about doing exactly what he did too :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I saw that Courtney Barnett has Waxahatchee opening for her in Paris... at the Bataclan.

I wonder how eerie that venue must be now. I went there a year after the attack and it was still closed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

People slam dance to Alvvays?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Slandible posted:

People actually show up at door times?

It's me, I show up at door time.

I'm a sperg who sees a time and simply must be there by that time even if it's a soft time and it actually kind of sucks to be there all that extra time. This also happens at parties. I guess I was German in a past life. I get paranoid that I won't get a good spot.

Of course since when I drink I constantly have to pee, plus I get tired from standing, so I end up not getting a good spot anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress am I regretting not going to the Swearin' show in August :smith:

New album is so good. Old album is so good. They're touring Europe in spring, maybe we'll get a US tour in the summer or something.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I first saw Bridgers at Ciclavia/LA phil 100 and she was the one good about that for me, as the person I was meeting there stood me up.

I had no idea who she was but I dug it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Slandible posted:

Well, Boygenius and Julien Baker loving emotionally destroyed me.

I've been trying to see Baker for almost two years now and it just never lined up for me. She is absolutely incredible and I'm in love with her live singing style.

Boygenius is seriously unreal. I would have payed even if it was only those six songs. I don't know Bridgers or Lucy well, but they too have amazing vocals. The synergy of those three playing together is something of its own. You can detect influences of them in songs, but it is not a mash up of just three people.

God drat this year has been one of the best years in music I've experienced, so many new great discoveries. I think I've been to 13 now and haven't run into a bad one yet.

Oh man. I'm tempted if they're as good as you say. They're playing in LA at the end of the month.

I've been to 5 this year they've all been awesome.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been really digging Lucy Dacus - Addictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9aaiI7SkU

Heard it from Waxahatchee's feed. I kind of bounced off her after checking out the non Phoebe Bridgers part of boygenius but this track really stood out to me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Somebody made a reference to Better Oblivion Community Center

... during the hotdog eating contest broadcast.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

prayer group posted:

Just saw Charly Bliss on a whim after seeing this thread talking about how good they are live and holy poo poo y’all did not steer me wrong. Eva Hendricks has so much contagious energy and enthusiasm, and she and the rest of the band are super tight performers. I yelled for Steal My Sunshine when they were coming on for the encore but she kind of chuckled and said “oh, no” into the mic and then they played Mr. Brightside instead.

Anyway, go see them. They’re great. If you’re kinda iffy on the new album like I was, the new songs have more energy and dynamics live. Plenty of Guppy stuff too.

No you tell me lol. Next time. I really dug Ruby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.kexp.org/read/2019/7/30/mat-jenn-carissas-wierd-announce-20th-anniversary-shows-ugly-honest/

You better believe I was there at 10am to buy a ticket. I'm so stoked.

For whatever reason Jen didn't post where exactly to get the tickets, I got them by going to the venue's page.