Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I saw Metric play a year or two ago in Auckland and it was one of the most fun gigs I'd been to in a while. Hella keen for any new stuff from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

resident posted:

I am in a bit of a conundrum. Should I go see Courtney Barnett at a small, fancy theater or Rhye at an equally cool venue on the same day? Leaning towards Courtney but I might be able to see her at a festival later this year.

Courtney Barnett for sure. One of the best acts I saw last year.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Trier posted:

Is this where I can talk about how much I love Julien Baker?

I saw this and immediately went to listen to her album again. gently caress I love her music, one of my favourite discoveries this year.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

York_M_Chan posted:

Not sure where I found Nadia Reid but I love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQVsFzYSHd8

Nadia Reid is rad and I'm glad more people are discovering her. If you like her, you might also like Aldous Harding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4dVkoOMjLo

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

What the hell? Most big international acts playing in New Zealand will set you back $100 NZD, which is only $70 USD and we find even that pretty expensive. The most I ever paid was a bit over $200 USD for two tickets to Leonard Cohen, and that was worth every cent.

Hell, I could have paid $70 USD to see Kendrick Lamar and The National at a festival last year, but I was an idiot and missed that.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Jeez, tickets were only $30 to see her last month in NZ and I was surprised to see them that cheap.

Still, I'm glad to see her moving up and she's definitely worth going to see.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Laneway Festival, my bottom-of-the-world indie music festival, has just announced its first lineup for 2018:

quote:

Aldous Harding, Amy Shark, Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, BADBADNOTGOOD, BAYNK, Billie Eilish, Bonobo, Connan Mockasin,D.D Dumbo, Die! Die! Die!, Father John Misty, Loyle Carner, Mac DeMarco, Melodownz, Moses Sumney, Polyester, POND, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, (Sandy) Alex G, Slowdive, Sylvan Esso, The Internet, The War on Drugs, TOKiMONSTA, Unitone HiFi, Wolf Alice

It's always been a fun source of new music for me so hopefully there's some new gems this time too. If you haven't listened to Aldous Harding yet to check her out ASAP.

Captain_Person fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 11, 2017

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Frank Turner puts on such an amazing live show, if he ever plays your city go see him.

Hell yes. He's on my 'drop everything I'm doing and see him no matter what' list.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I only went to two shows this year :( Gotta do better next time!

Admittedly, one of them was Julien Baker at a tiny venue which loving ruled.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I've got a great weekend of shows lined up.

First is Shenandoah Davis tomorrow - I get to skip work and (hopefully, if it doesn't rain) relax in the sun to an artist I've looked forward to seeing for years.

Then on Friday I get to see Mount Eerie play in a cinema buried three stories underneath a library and cry. A lot.

And finally on Tuesday I'm going to see Anthonie Tonnon who cptn_dr already made a Good Post about but you should check him out again because he's really, really great.

Captain_Person fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 17, 2018

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I'm always surprised whenever somebody like Mount Eerie comes to New Zealand. He's playing one show at a tiny venue that can fit maybe 200 people and tickets were pretty cheap too.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

It's me, I'm the guy who got their board game.

I'd actually really like to see them live one day. I'm not as huge a fan as I once was but I still love The Hazards of Love. But since I live at the bottom of the world they either won't come or will charge far more for tickets than I care to spend on them.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw The Cure in 2016 and they played, no exaggeration, 5 encores lmao

Same here. Their encores were longer than their main set.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I'm having to pass on the National this year - as much fun as getting drunk in a vineyard while they play sounds, tickets are twice as expensive as they were last time they played.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

incoherent posted:

Welcome to your band getting older. Radiohead is ~1 more tour from being outside my ticket bracket.

Tickets are actually at the low end of expensive for us, but because it's at a vineyard outside the city I'd have to fork out an extra $30 for the coach service.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

A Bad King posted:

Hi thread. I'm at the San Fermin concert for Chicagoland and none of my friends care. I care. I'm here, and I'm so dang stoked I gotta tell the internet.

You have terrible friends and I am super jealous.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Marlon Williams is blues-y, alt-country musician who's just released Make Way for Love, an album about the breakdown of his relationship with Aldous Harding. She even duets on one of the songs, singing her side of a conversation they never had.

Nobody Gets What They Want Anymore (with Aldous Harding)
Dark Child

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Unsurprisingly the new Young Fathers is loving fantastic.

Echoing this. Do yourself a favor and check it out ASAP. And if you ever get the chance to see them live take it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I tried listening to the new Decemberists album and got partway through the second song before switching to Young Fathers.

I used to really like them but this was laughably bad. Save yourself the trouble and don't bother with it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

New Courtney Barnett single out today - Need A Little Time. Really digging it and looking forward to her new album.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Just when I'm trying to figure out how I can afford Courtney Barnett tickets, Wolf Alice and Nadia Reid announce shows too. This year has been incredible for smaller acts compared to the last few.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Our local indie festival has just announced their lineup and I really hope we get some sideshows because $180 NZD is way too much to see Mitski and Courtney Barnett.

I want to see Mitski so badly I may still buy a ticket...

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Scored tickets to see Julien Baker in February within twenty minutes of the show being announced. I think that's the fastest I've ever bought tickets.

I'm also going to a whole bunch of local acts in December, I might do an effort post later about them all.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I made a boygenius playlist to listen to and now I can't stop crying

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

It's the end of the year, so Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas courtesy of The Beths.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Whorelord posted:

so yeah young fathers last night was the greatest gig i've ever been to

They're incredible and they will probably never come to New Zealand again and this makes me sad.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

The Beths kick rear end and their album was a top ten for me last year. I missed every show in Auckland last year when they were still playing tiny basement venues and I regret that so much.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I was all set to see Julien Baker play on Friday but she's had to cancel due to personal matters. I hope everything's okay with her :ohdear:

Going to use the refund to get a Sharon Van Etten ticket probably. This year's looking a bit quieter for live shows compared to last.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Oh hell yeah the new Julia Jacklin is fantastic. Check out Body if you haven't heard her stuff before.

US goons, one of my favourite Kiwi dream pop bands, French for Rabbits, have just landed for a quick tour over the next month. The Weight of Melted Snow is one of my favourite tracks from their last album.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Been enjoying this synth pop/rock group from Australia this week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPyHeqNlsOE

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Nadia Reid, Kiwi indie folk-ish musician (and Aldous Harding's old flatmate because this country is tiny), just released a single ahead of her new album next year

https://youtu.be/osWgE_Y5Z0M

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

I called Seventeen the best song of the year in January and I stand by that statement today.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

The new Nadia Reid album is out today, for anybody that likes heartbreaking kiwi indie folk

https://open.spotify.com/album/4PzDHK25iFZHEx6yRieVXk

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

They did an adorable livestream the other day where they played it acoustically for the first time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQOyV7mji0

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

New Phoebe Bridgers. Album comes out in June
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw0zYd0eIlk

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

And if you are in nz and get the chance to go to Anth's railway gigs I highly recommend it. A strong 9 point 8.

And if you're lucky the Beths will also be there!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Another day, another new single from the Beths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaoCF5cVj2g

With any luck I'll be grabbing tickets to their album release show tomorrow :dance:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

https://youtu.be/IQUdJ6FdUQ0 ??

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Happy new Beths album to you all
https://open.spotify.com/album/048KrxquURM9stY0MgH3kw?si=m1d8aBR1Q6SzBG8bLw1TSQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

gently caress I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

Album good though. Hopefully it isn't locked for much longer.