Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

DasNeonLicht posted:

she is opening for Caroline Polachek next year if that's of any interest to you

it's funny being a fan of indie music without any real sense of how popular people are because you only find out when you go to look at ticket prices. Not a huge CP fan but I'd see her for sure, and if Ethel was opening Canadian dates (she isn't) I'd consider the ~100 dollar ticket prices.

however I'm seeing Caroline Rose for like 20 bucks in an (admittedly famous) little tiny bar a few weeks earlier and drat, I would have guessed she was the popular one of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about Ethel Cain? Been listening to Preacher's Daughter for the past week and it's an amazing record. At once wistful, trashy, and dreamy. Like the Bruce Springsteen of panhandle Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ed_WWmFy9I

btw why isn't the intro to the single on the album, first time I've ever seen a single being longer than the album version - and that intro would be one of my fave bits on the whole thing for sure.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
new Arthur Moon

apparently part 2 of this album is the 'b sides' which are actually all the 'hits'

I love this band lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6-KJypoKkA

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Sturgill is insanely good and it's very sad he has decided to retire.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Dunno how I hadn't heard of Mindchatter before a girl next to me at a festival told me about him. Hot Chip esque vocals over sexy rear end electronic music.

Has a kind of 2010s sensibility with modern production. He covers stuff like Young Folks and I Can Change so I think that's sort of the idea. Really really good poo poo.

Great fuckin music also.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Neko was at the Danforth, off in the corner for some reason

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Waxahatchee are playing Massey Hall (fancier venue, concert hall rather than club type venue) so I'm hoping maybe there's like an expanded string section or something for the extra money.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I turned down free tickets to Alive 2008 because I was tired after work :(

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Captain_Person posted:

Says you, A Weekend in the City is also fuckin great :colbert:

Everything since then has been a massive let down

Cosign. If those drums at the start of Song for Clay don't make you just want to take off sprinting down the street or pedaling down a hill at full tilt I don't want to know you

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Nilufer Yanya owns.

Shameless is SUCH a good song that should have been around and super popular for awkward slow dancing at high school dances.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Megabound posted:

I've only started listening to pop and indie recently after picking up Magdalena Bay, Yeule, Carly Rae Jepsen's latest album, and boygenius and related acts like late last year so if anyone's got recommendations on where to explore in any of those directions that'd be dope. I like listening to entire albums but singles are alright too.

The albums Loser, Superstar and The Art of Forgetting by Caroline Rose. 'Art' in particular is a masterpiece of song writing. The other two are nearly perfect pop albums

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Bright Bart posted:

I'm curious if anyone wants to suggest some lyrical indie rock/pop/folk.

I don't mean the focus is just singing over simple chords. The lyrics may not be even be the best part.

Just that they're not an afterthought and instead are chosen to be meaningful or at least poetic in the way a poet choses words i.e. not just because they happen to rhyme or sound cool or relate to the title.

Think Elliott Smith or Joanna Newsom both for an idea of what I mean and how varied the music itself could be.

They are fairly well known and an older band - but The Weakerthans have some of my favourite lyrics in all of indie music. Literary and lyrical without being as, for lack of a better word, pretentious as other bands I'd describe similarly like the Decemberists.

I want to call requests through heating vents
And hear them answered with a whisper, "No"
To crack the code of muscles, slacken, tense
Let every second step in boots on snow

Complete your name with accents I can't place
That stumble where the syllables combine
Take depositions from a stranger's face
Paint every insignificance a sign

So tell me nothing matters, less or more
Say "Whatever we think actions are
We'll never know what anything was for
If near is just as far away as far"

And I'm permitted one act I can save
I choose to sit here next to you and wave

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
dang I never realized that weakerthans track I posted earlier is a sonnet. that's cool as hell.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Oxxidation posted:

missed Weakerthans chat but I know some people who would probably never speak to me again if I made them listen to Virtute Explains Her Departure

god. not many songs that have made me ugly cry. actually that might be the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
the other songs in the 'trilogy' are equally as impressive, and heart wrenching. but there is some catharis. They tell the story of a man who is afflicted by addition and ennui, who does not care for the cat that came into his life the way that he should - he loved him and took great comfort from him but because of the addiction could not give it all back.

"I'll lie down
And lick the sorrow from your skin
Scratch the terror and begin
To believe you're strong

All you ever want to do is drink and watch TV
Frankly that thing doesn't really interest me
I swear I'm going to bite you hard and taste your tinny blood
If you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home

I know you're strong"

And then the cat leaves. Returns to the cold streets, and remembers his life with the man, but can't remember "the sound that you found for me" - his name.

in the conclusion, the cat has died. They were never reunited. But the man remembers the cat and uses that memory to begin building a new life. And to accept the mistakes that he made.

"Now that the treatment and antidepressants
And seven months sober have built me a bed
In the back of your brain where the memories flicker
And I paw at the synapses, bright bits of string
You should know I am with you, know I forgive you
Know I am proud of the steps that you've made
Know it will never be easy or simple
Know I will dig in my claws when you stray
So let us rest here like we used to
In a line of late afternoon sun
Let it rest, all you can't change
Let it rest and be done"