Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resident posted:

Sylvan Esso is $107 for two tickets in my area. I’m pre-outraged at how expensive tickets are in 2021, but at the same time I’m willing to pay whatever to see live music again.

Is that with tax and service charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That’s not so gross. 40-45 face? Venue probably makes a difference.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resident posted:

Maybe Sylvan Esso has just gotten way bigger than I realized and a year without festival rosters gives me no frame of reference for what bands they stack up against these days.

You’re not taking the NPR tax into account.

I would be a little surprised if there isn’t a class of artist/promoter/venue who will try to recoup for last year with ticket prices this year. Maybe not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Strong contender for worst band name. Music is ok though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe they’re going to be bring the Dr Dog Laser Experience to a planetarium near you?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bummer

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Those are all really good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Spain festival might be best festival line up I have ever seen

Placebo is big enough to get top billing like that? Are they huge in Europe or something?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is the only festival I’ve ever been to. Read em and weep, boys

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

the guy I smoked blunts with in college was obsessed with medeski Martin and wood. They're ok

Just ok? Gathering of the vibes camping pass REVOKED

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

T Bowl posted:

All those bands selling out arenas have decades-long careers and have loyal fan bases but they're still not buying albums anymore.

No demo is buying albums

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thehoodie posted:

this rock is dead conversation is especially stupid because capitalism just neutralizes all expression for the purpose of accumulating the most wealth possible in the shortest time possible so you end up with totally sterile pop music that all sounds the same because it is totally inoffensive to most people and therefore likely to generate the most money.

in conclusion, rock is dead, long live rock!!

Maybe you’re just making a joke, but I think pop music right now is more creative and diverse and well made than it has been in decades. I wouldn’t call it inoffensive either. There’s edgy pop music that is huge

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

We also have to deal with genre classifications. Genres are messy. You have to deal with race and other gender and locales. Like, what's the difference between a lot of country and rock? Everybody says rock doesn't chart, but country does. All it is at some point is marketing.

Yeah, the entire market segment of popular guitar-based music has shifted from rock to country. It took 30 years but country stars fill arenas. Only a handful of rock bands can do that, and it’s a lot of dinosaur acts.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thehoodie posted:

by "pop music" i meant "popular", ie. charting, which was the original point. i don't think there is much debate that "popular" (mainstream) media presents mostly very safe and saccharine material. see the film industry also.

WAP was a #1 billboard single

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thehoodie posted:

there are always exceptions to prove the rule. Lil Nas X is charting right now and I would fit that in this category

Try streaming top pop songs without an explicit filter on. I’m not sure you are really closely following trends in pop music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thehoodie posted:

do you think swearing is controversial

Who said anything about controversial? Do you listen to a lot of pop music or are you mostly a rock guy and don’t listen to top 40 radio ever?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

thehoodie posted:

lol okay if you think bad words and sex in top 40 music is challenging to the thesis that popular media is a tool for capitalist accumulation of wealth and ideology. read some adorno, buddy

Lmao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Are bands that formed 30 years ago, but are still putting out new music considered dinosaur acts? Foo Fighters, Tool, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead? There are more examples....but those ones could all sell out arenas. They just don't really tour as much.

Yes. All the bands you mentioned who get radio airplay are played on classic rock stations, just how like foreigner and Styx had been around for 30ish years when I was a teenager listening to classic rock radio.

Green Day has been a band for about 5 years longer than the Grateful Dead were a band. Billy corgan is older than Jerry garcia was when he died.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 9, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

It's Twitter meme nonsense, but 2021 is to 2000 as 2000 was to 1979--maybe more so, given the speed of pop culture. Pointing to late 90s-early 2000s bands as evidence of the commercial/cultural viability of rock is a false start.

I also think that it means something (personally) that, as a 40 year old, most of the "true" rock bands that excite me are either bands that I was into in my early 20s or bands that slot beside bands that I was into in my early 20s. Whether that means that rock has gone the way of blues, or whether it means that "indie rock" has become formalized as a genre, I'm not smart enough to say. I will say that while I'm still discovering a lot of new "lifetime favorite" songs and artists, I can't say that I've been truly surprised by a rock album in a minute (maybe Spellling?).

EDIT: Right as I hit post, I remembered how much "Thumbs" and VBS wrecked me. drat, Home Video is a great album.

Bob Dylan did a special earlier in the year that was entirely material from the first half of his career. The set list contained a song from 1989.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

All of those bands absolutely get played on classic rock stations. They just don't call the format "classic rock" anymore, so Gen Xers and elder millennials don't have their egos hurt. Now it's "modern rock," which is basically the music you heard on the alt rock stations between, say, 1992 and 2004 (including the appropriate college rock classics), plus like Glass Animals and Imagine Dragons. Don't be confused, though, it's for we young olds.

Most of those bands are played on actual branded classic rock stations, too. At least smashing pumpkins and green day, side by side with Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Steve Miller band and bad company.

And 70s dinosaur rock groups were touring on new material in the 90s, too. They were still “classic rock” back then.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 10, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

Classic Rock will always be what Classic Rock was called in the '90s because it's the first genre where we basically have perfectly preserved recordings of everything important that ever happened in it.

This is the top played song list from WZLX, the biggest classic rock station in Boston. https://wzlx.iheart.com/music/top-songs/

Edit- the songs change every time you click on it! It’s not really a top 20 but it gives a great idea of the playlist. It has foo fighters on it now.

There’s no CCR or Pink Floyd or The Who in the top 20. It’s got the Aerosmith and Van Halen, but it also has Green Day twice, Metallica, Pearl Jam, stone temple pilots. Again, this is WZLX - “Bostons Classic Rock”.

“Oldies” radio is just as bad, although as a format there are fewer and fewer stations. When I was a kid, oldies stations played 60s girl groups and pop music, some foundational late 50s/early 60s rock n roll (little Richard, bill Haley, buddy holly), pre-revolver Beatles with a sprinkling of post revolver Beatles, early Motown, stuff like that. Now oldies formats are a handful of 60s classic rock/pop songs with a lot of 70s AM Gold and some 80s pop hits.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 10, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Modern Leper posted:

Last note (from me) on the radio format derail, because this poo poo fascinates me. I definitely think that part of the reason we can have this "rock is dead" argument at all is because corporate radio has crafted a "straight line" historical narrative that goes from what I'll call the "big five" (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, and Green Day) to their direct descendants, with minor segues for heavier music (Tool singles) and "weirder" music (OK Computer singles).

There's an alternative history where radio stations better documented all the odd "small mammals" that emerged after the asteroid strike of Cobain's suicide. I think a radio landscape where poo poo like "Lucas with the Lid Off" and "Block Rocking Beats" and Squirrel Nut Zippers were still part of the "classic" rotation would be more welcoming to a lot of the indie rock and pop this thread likely gravitates towards--not because they necessarily sound like any of those, but because they reflect the bizarre experimentation that emerged as labels scrambled to figure out what would be next.

tldr, "Mainstream Rock" became codified by a very narrow two-four year period of peak sales, and is not reflective of all the odd and truly influential music that was successful in the years that immediately followed that period.

Mainstream rock/modern rock formats leaned hard into nu metal for a good decade, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Solomon Gumball posted:

People said that about The Killers during the post-punk revival.

Were they wrong about the killers?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Karate had four in a row - bed is in the ocean, unsolved, some boots, pockets. Flawless run.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Not sure if I’ve ever listened to them, will check out

Bed is more emo/post-hardcore?, but starting with Unsolved you better get ready for the real deal jazzmocore. I forgot the Cancel/Sing ep too!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

^burtle posted:

sign me up for Picaresque -> Crane Wife -> Hazards of Love

You can have it!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Red Album, Raditude, Hurley

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

Top 5 of what? Sales? Critics list? I suspect you mean the former, but just curious.

You should follow the link in his post

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't think Goo's good enough for the Sonic Youth one tbh

Yeah I’d go the other way. EVOL, Sister, Daydream

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Spotify dumped Neil Young rather than do anything about Rogan's antivax nonsense :thumbsup:

What did you think was going to happen?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

T Bowl posted:

Spotify makes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money on subscribers who want Joe Rogan than they ever would with Neil Young. Countless young guys I know are obsessed with Rogan, sadly.

They don’t get any subscribers specifically for Neil young.

It looks like Sirius rolled out a Neil channel today though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That. Doesn't make it good though.

Get enough people to cancel their Spotify and maybe it will mean something. Or convince enough other musicians to pull out. Otherwise it’s just the crankiest old man doing the same cranky old man thing he’s done for years about everything.

If it was grade A pop stars doing it and a bunch of them? Be more interesting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Finally this is the critical mass the Pono player needs to go mainstream

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Peggotty posted:

That would obviously be better, but this is still getting the message (Spotify pays right-wing lunatics to spread their propaganda on Spotify) into the public. The more that happens, the better.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Neil and I’m happy he did it, I just think he’s the wrong messenger. I love that podcasters are following his lead, but I’m waiting for Taylor swift to do it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That stinks

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Karate is doing a little reunion tour this summer. Check numero group’s website for dates.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Who has the lowest respective billing: rolling blackout, wet leg, or dashboard confessional?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I also saw there was a new Belle & Sebastian today, and I realized I haven't listened to anything from them since Life Pursuit. They were even one of my favourite bands at one point!
They’re on tour too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

Thanks for this. After listening to their newest album, and enjoying it, I realized I should probably go back and listen to the albums I missed. It was just one of those things where after the Life Pursuit, a few years passed, and I just let their new releases pass me by.

Write About Love has some pretty great songs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

T Bowl posted:

The new Arcade Fire is pretty boring. I feel like maybe I am just getting old, but nothing connected at all.

Arcade fire is pretty boring in general. This stuff doesn’t sound that different to me from their older stuff.