Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

Gotta hype Joy Formidable.

They're playing with A Place to Bury Strangers in a few months here in Minneapolis and I can say I'm rather excited to go see them, I'm usually not a fan of female fronted rock bands but they look promising. APtBS was amazing when I saw them 2 years ago, definitely a band who can rip your ears off.

Edit: I don't really get time to swallow as much new music as I used to, but I'm finding it a lot harder to find stuff I'll actually sit down and listen to. Mostly with how easy it is to get songs out there is it, I feel like many artists put out a lot of drab and uninteresting stuff now, mostly electronically created music. A recent example is James Blake's release last year, it's a simple album to listen to and it's kind of fun to explore, but going back to it just feels like it's so empty, sparse, and almost effortless and many artists are going similar routes.

I do miss being excited by releases you knew were going to be pretty good each year but there's just so much stuff out there now that it's hard for anything to get a solid backing unless you have the time to follow many editorials and opinions. [/rant]

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Max Tundra's Glycaemic Index Blues, from Parallax Error Beheads You...... that is Merrill Garbus before tune-yards isn't it? I mean, it loving HAS to be, right? I adore her, and I've never heard this Max Tundra album before, but I came out of my seat, because I am pretty sure that's her before she was on anyone's radar. Hope someone with that album can confirm, I don't know if I'm just finally losing it over here or what.

Ben definitely transposes his voice higher and lower through his albums. I'm not seeing his sister mentioned on the wiki page for "Parallax...", but she definitely did vocals on "Mastered by Guy at the Exchange" and they sound strikingly similar. You should definitely give that a listen if you haven't.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just listened to Island's new album. Pretty okay in my opinion. Reminded me a lot of Vapours, nothing fantastic but certainly not terrible. The last two albums haven't had any super spectacular songs that just grabbed me like ones from "Return..." and "Arm's Way" that either have some awesome instrumentation parts or memorable lyrics/vocals.

Relistening to Arm's Way right now and I forgot how awesome of a sophomore album it is. Didn't live up to Return for me, but it's got some great songs with a lot of ideas and melodies derived from their previous. It's too bad they have been shuffling through members, but I suppose it's also too bad The Unicorns aren't around anymore.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I have been listening to Cloud Nothing's "Attack on Memory" since I got off work this afternoon. Reminds me a bit of the east coast scene (Algernon Cadwalleder, Capn Jazz, etc) and a bit like Drive Like Jehu. Mix in a little bit Oxford Collapse and I'm loving this album a lot. Messy guitars, vocals, and "Wasted Days" goes off on a 8 bass line and guitar expedition. Seriously, give these guys a listen.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Benadryl Brownie posted:

And in a totally other direction (not sure it even belongs here), but everyone should listen to Lightning Bolt. EVERYONE.

IT'S LOUD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRt5E-JJfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSwcRW1X-Y

LB is easily one of my favorite bands ever. A lot of my friends are turned off by them, but I love just how raw their sound is. I've followed them a lot over the years, and I don't think they really have any weak records. They're one of the few bands I've regretted not seeing live, maybe one day they can play in my kitchen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvu3UhXeLg8&feature=related Sound Guardians is the leading track in their latest album and it starts off a great foot. I'm not keen to much of the album as others, but there are some great tracks there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This Oneohtrix Point Never is strangely amazing to listen to. I listened to it on a late night drive home this past weekend and it created such a weird atmosphere, basically giving me tunnel vision as I listened to it.

At first I really hated it, thought it was pretentious glitchy nonsense but after giving it 2 more tries I'm actually really liking it. I felt the same way about James Blake's album last year but it grew on me and now I love it.

Anyone else gave it a listen? The wikipedia page on how it was made is kinda interesting, and every reviewer gave it high marks.

quote:

Replica is described as a song cycle based around lo-fi audio procured from television advertisement compilations. Lopatin says, "[It] has as much to do with environmental, broadcasted, and club sounds as it does with more direct musical influences." [14] The cover is an illustration by Virgil Finlay from the pulp magazine Weird Tales. It depicts a vampire looking at himself in a mirror.[15]

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dik-dik posted:

I'd stumbled on Replica before, probably from Pitchfork or something, and I listened to maybe 10 minutes of it before putting it away. Now I've looked it up again and I must say it's growing on me.

Yeah it's definitely an album I can't listen to unless I'm in the mood for some really atmospheric stuff. Think I might listen to it again tonight and zone out with it playing loudly.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone see Cults live? How were they? I'm going to see Deathcab for Cutie (which I'm not that excited for because their last cd was really boring, but have loved them since middle school) on Sunday and Cults plays on Monday.

On the topic of Spiritualized, just relistened to "Ladies and Gentlemen..." yesterday and forgot how good it was. I don't remember when I first heard it but a few of the songs waxed nostalgic for me. Might have to try and see them this summer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was pretty seriously unimpressed when I bought their album "Mother's Daughter." They're not terrible, but there's so much better indie folk out there, and they never really manage to do the folktronica thing properly. It's just vaguely Iron and Wine-ish with some electronics occasionally. Anyone interested in that folk-electronic sound, though, should check out The Books and Dosh.

A friend of mine recommended it right when it came out and I wasn't that impressed either. Some tracks are really bland but I'll be damned if "surprise me 44" has one of the coolest beats around.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm only a few songs into the album but I'm kind of surprised by a cover as the first track. A really boring cover to a really good song. The 2nd track picks up a bit and has good some good lyrics and a catchy melody but it's not grabbing me much and comes off as a bit boring.

I'll give this album a good try or two until I make anymore assumptions, as I've never listened to Chromatics before (got them confused with the electronic artist Chromeo).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mt. Modular posted:

Also, I could have sworn there was a discussion somewhere about Death Grips already, but I can't find it now (maybe I imagined it or it was on another thread/message board). Has anyone listened to these guys yet? It's like...post-apocalyptic noise rap or something. It's good...but it's weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43aQxzjyeM

Hahaha now this I love, and produced by Zach Hill who's one of my favorite musicians! I thought it sounded somewhat reminiscent of his solo albums. They're coming to Minneapolis this summer and I am definitely going to try and see this.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Pittsburgh has a really awesome summer concert calendar and it's kind of crazy. I never thought I'd get to see Modest Mouse here, and I'm still up debating about Beach House just because it's the weekend after Pitchfork. Battles is here in June, and though not indie or anything, I'm losing my mind at the thought of seeing The Bouncing Souls and The Menzingers together in August. Then other cool stuff is St. Vincent (today actually), Tune-Yards, Los Campesinos, My Morning Jacket/Band of Horses, Death Cab for Cutie/Andrew Bird... it's shaping up to be a great summer.

I've seen Battles twice and I will try my best to see them every time they come to the midwest. Very little downtime between songs and their buildup into their next songs is great. They've got great energy and stage-presence.

I just saw Death Cab last month after waiting nearly 10 years and it was worth it. They played a great mix from every cd they've put out and even had an orchestra backing them, which at first seemed like a poor gimmick but actually went really well with their songs. See them!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

dakana posted:

Smith Westerns have this phenomenal, funky guitar lead that's almost a second vocal. They're upbeat, but with that dreamy sort of lyrical and vocal delivery. I love Weekend and Imagine Pt. 3.

Yeah Weekend was one of my favorite songs of last year. None of the others stuck within me as much but still a great record. Excited to see these guys grow up.

Fang Island released a new album. Not sure how I feel about it yet but I'll give it some time. Their sophomore album was amazing to me but this one doesn't have as much that stands out. It's a pretty formulaic song structure with not as many surprises, but it's loving happy harmonic rock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

Why? did a video for "Sod in the Seed," which is fun if not too closely resembling a circa 2007 iPod commercial:

http://vimeo.com/47313759

An EP of the same name comes out tomorrow; new LP later this fall.

It took a few tries, but I'm really loving this EP. A good mix of everything they've done before. For Someone and Twenty Seven are amazing songs and bring me back to first hearing the Sanddollars EP. Shag Carpet has a sick drum beat, but that hum melody is creepy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

I'm one of many Why? fans who was let down by the low-key vibe of Eskimo Snow, so I got a good laugh out of the way "Sod in the Seed" starts — kind of like something off Eskimo Snow, then Yoni's all like "Let's review some recent facts" and the Why? Alopecia returns :)

Maybe it's because I've been listening to why? for years and they're/he's easily my favorite artist ever but anything they put out is some of the best news I can hear from the comfort of my computer. Each of the last 3 albums have had their own strengths that really put a staple on how versatile why? is as a band now which is why I absolutely love them. Indie pop, rock, hiphop, electronic? It's hard to describe what kind of music they make.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

The new EP is great, but someone mentioned that the lead single sound like Cake and now I can't unhear the comparison.

But yeah, cLOUDDEAD, Object Beings and Why? are some of y favourite groups ever, so of course I am going to eat this EP up. Apparently he is playing 21st Century Pop Song on this tour, so I guess I have to see him if he comes out this way.

I really like the EP as well. They manage to stay so fresh with everything they do.

They did play 21st Century Pop Song on their 2009 tour right before Eskimo Snow's release. I don't think Broder and Ericson are touring with them anymore, but seeing that song live was nothing short of amazing.

Also, I'm voting for Japandroid's Celebration Rock as album of the year for me. Reminds me a lot of DFA1979 but there's a lot more emotion and better hooks put into it. "Fire's Highway" is one of my favorite songs ever now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WaterIsPoison posted:

Found out about Now, Now and I just can't stop listening to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AInwQRyn76I

My old roommate went to high school with these cats, they're very popular here in MN and I'm digging them a lot now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47u8kSRusfE

Why? - Strawberries

Really like it, rumors are that the new album is a lot more hiphop/rappy like Alopecia but tracks like this really help make the albums much better.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So my roommate is the guy who came up with the latest design for Trampled By Turtles' tshirt and tour poster:

Pretty neat seeing these out in public and on their facebook page.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Back from a few pages, but the new Cloud Nothings album is out and it rips.

This is one of my favorite rock bands in the last few years and I may just have to make a 4 hour trip to go see them. I don't quite like their new album as much as Attack on Memory but it is still a great one that will probably grow on me like the last one did.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Oliver Reed posted:

Is it blasphemy to consider Grizzly Bear's Shields their best release? Because I've played it about three times as much as any of their other albums, including Veckatimest (which is amazing).

I had no idea GB had albums dating back to 04. Yellow House was the first I had heard from them but Shields is imo their best and most interesting album.

Duck Rodgers posted:

I wasn't overly enthused with the first single put out from the new album, but I've been listening to the album pretty much on repeat the last few days. I think I like it more than Attack On Memory, but I probably should let it sink in for awhile before I say anything I regret.

Are their earlier albums worth checking out?
I wouldn't really bother with anything older than AoM. It's very experimental and has an incredibly messy sound to it all.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The Unicorns' "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?" got reissued with a couple new tracks. Quite possibly one of my favorite albums ever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bows1 posted:

Im seeing them open for Arcade Fire in August!

I wish I lived even remotely near one of the coasts. I had tickets to see them play on their last tour with Ben Kweller but couldn't make it. Seriously hope they play some more shows.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hey guys not only is Death From Above 1979 touring again but they're making a new album entitled "The Physical World" out September 9th!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

uggy posted:

The Classic Interpol sound is great, terrible lyrics excluded. Turn on the bright lights owns in every way.

You shut your mouth, Roland was awesome and a goon even made a thread with the lyrics of that song in picture form.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anybody ever catch a Lightning Bolt show before? Ticket in Mpls sold out but I'm debating on picking one up for $45 on StubHub.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

boji posted:

Yeah I appreciate what he was trying to do. I'm hoping it will grow on me with more listens. There's definitely moments in it I love, but there's also a few places where it annoys me. The one that comes to mind is the skipping-cd sounding transition in the first track, it just feels kinda artificial and forced. I know he's employed repetition in the past, like looping drum tracks through the entire song, but for some reason I found it much less harsh.

I'm also looking for those magical moments, like halfway through Apocalypse dreams where everything keeps building, freezes, and then explodes. Or the outros for Lucidity or Endors Toi. Maybe they are in the new one too, and I just need to keep listening. :)

This is what I found about Lonerism and Innerspeaker. They took me many months of listening to on and off to finally click with. Not many artists get that sort of attention from me but my roommate insisted I give it a fair shot and I really grew to love it. My first listen to Currents is kinda underwhelming, there's some strong tracks here but there's a few that sound pretty drat similar to me.

Also, as if Ian Cohen wasn't a laughingstock already:

quote:

Parker is good at writing catchy, simple guitar riffs. But he’s also somehow the best and most underrated rock bassist of the 21st century, and it’s not even close on either front. The near total absence of guitars means there is nothing remotely like "Elephant" here.

...the album reimagines and expands Tame Impala's relationship to album rock—like Loveless or Kid A or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, it's the result of a supernaturally talented obsessive trying to perfect music while redefining their relationship to album-oriented rock. There's more care and nuance put into the drum filtering on "Let It Happen" than most bands manage in an entire career of recording.

loving :laffo:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Did anyone else catch Clap Your Hands Say Yeah? I'm going to them on Thursday in Mpls and I'm so pumped.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah, 13 years ago.

Oh awesome thanks for the input.

Can't stop listening to this Tame Impala album, it might be one of my favorites of this decade so far.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

detectivemonkey posted:

They're a lot of fun live. Interesting to watch and Colin's banter is really enjoyable. They're up there with Belle & Sebastian for shows that are more lively and fun than you would ever expect. Although still well below B&S because holy poo poo they are fun live.

I'd never imagined B&S to be fun to see live but I guess I am wrong!

Now the Decemberists might be the funnest show I've ever been to. Saw them just as Picaresque came out and hearing most of those songs live was amazing, and I was surprised to hear they still close out with Mariner's Revenge but not really because it's an incredible ride.

Also, the new Tame Impala album may be one of my favorites of the decade, even maybe the last 15 years. Fitting that I'm dealing with a breakup but my friends and I all absolutely love it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Battles' "La Di Da Di" dropped today. Bummed out I'm missing them in a few weeks but these guys have been making some of my favorite music the last ten years.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://youtu.be/n6oSeODGmoQ?list=PL1B627337ED6F55F0

If you guys haven't seen it, Gaelynn Lea is woman from Minnesota who plays the violin. Alan Sparhawk (from the band Low) discovered her playing at UMD and helped get her some more exposure. It's an incredible set really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Sometimes it feels like every music journalist on earth is trying as hard as possible to make me care about Parquet Courts, but I just can't for the life of me!!!

My roommate has been pushing them hard on me for 2 years now. I just think they're so boring. :(