Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I just got the new Islands album, A Sleep & a Forgetting. Like every previous Nick Thorburn release, it's a whole lot different than the preceding album. I need to give it a couple more spins but I'm digging it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Mt. Modular posted:

The new Islands IS really good, but its such a subtle record. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to write it off as "boring," as it never really escapes from a consistent MOR sound. But the songwriting is amazing and its really personal...in that overly-self-conscious Nick Thorburn kind of way.

Hallways is a barnburner though, and I love it. That and Can't Feel My Face actually remind me a bit of the Mister Heavenly doom-wop stuff he did with Honus Honus.

I can't wait to see them tonight. I'll try to get Nick to personalize my Valentine's Day card.

Sugar Blaster posted:

Yo, I Am Gemini, the new Cursive record, is twisted to hell and probably stands as the darkest, heaviest thing they've ever recorded. Without spoiling anything, it's a concept album about a pair of twin brothers on opposite ends of the moral spectrum and their downward spiral into depraved lunacy. Their last record, Mama, I'm Swollen was pretty lackluster, and Tim's solo album was kind of a mess so I'm really stoked they've come back with such a strong release, since Ugly Organ and Happy Hollow are two of my all-time favorites.

I haven't given it a listen at all yet, but which previous album would you say it's closest to, if any? I love Domestica, Such Blinding Stars, and Ugly Organ, but didn't really feel Happy Hollow after a couple of spins. It actually turned me off so much that I didn't pursue Mama, I'm Swollen at all. I'd be down to hop back on the bandwagon, though.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 21, 2012

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Glug_Glug posted:

It's actually a very good mix of their whole discography. It definitively has some of the pop elements of the later stuff, but it also brings back the kickass guitars of the olden days. It's a very good album, especially if you read along to it. At first I wasn't feeling the story, but once I understood what was going on it was much better.

The only reason I stopped listening to that album is because of Fun. How I never listened to this band, I don't know. I also just realized that them and The Format share the same lead. Mind. Blown.

Yeah, fun. is some amazing pop music. Their first album (and specifically "All the Pretty Girls") was my summer jam last year. I'm really excited to see them in a few weeks in Chapel Hill.

Islands show report: the show was great. I caught Nick around the bar before the show and got him to personalize my pre-order Valentine's Day card. We talked for about 5 minutes about the tour and past shows I'd seen them at in the Bay Area. We had a little sardonic laugh about how over there they would sell out 500-700 capacity venues, and how the 506 show didn't even sell out with its max capacity of 250 people. I'm glad Nick's mellowed out a bit with age.

I got an email earlier yesterday from the promoter saying there was a mystery opening act from a local band. I was thinking grandiose thoughts about Megafaun, Mt. Moriah, or one of the local Merge crew but it turned out to be Lost in the Trees, playing all new stuff. They were really great and I'm looking forward to their new album. The second opener was this one-man electronic act called Idiot Glee. I got the sense that his music's probably better through headphones or in a car than live.

The Islands set was fantastic. This was my fourth time seeing them live and I was really happy with the mix of old and new stuff. The first half of the set was exclusively stuff from the new album and they ended up playing every track from it. They started ramping up for the second half with "Creeper" off the second album, which pumped me up since a setlist from a couple nights ago didn't have anything from Arm's Way on it. They played "Whalebone" for a one-song encore with a local rapper and then walked off stage. The crowd kept cheering and yelling for another song since no one started stripping down the set and after maybe 8-9 minutes, they came back on for "Heartbeats". Even though they just started this tour, they sounded really polished with the material and playing it live. Go check them out if they come by.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Mt. Modular posted:

After reading this I decided that I just have to see Islands live. So I go check out when they're going to be near me... Friday. Two days from now. There's no chance in hell I'll be able to get off of work with that short of notice. I'm going to have to start paying attention to these things.

Yeah, especially considering you've been rocking that custom title for a while now. If it's any consolation, you can make a playlist from their set last night:

Plus "Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone" and "Heartbeats" for the encore.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Epi Lepi posted:

Those of you who like indie pop/rock acts with a chick vocalist you should check out Field Mouse. Also, I'm pretty sure the guitarist is a goon though I don't know his username. I found out about this band when he or another member posted a thread about their album last year or the year before. Check out one of the tracks from their album You Are Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JftIndZHbZ4

They've released a couple new songs over the last few months but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. The album is really solid though.

Yeah, their guitarist fronts The Age of Rockets, which had a pretty cool last album with "Hannah". I stumbled onto them after seeing that they had a Tegan and Sara cover on the album. After I downloaded the album from bandcamp, the frontman friended me on Facebook. So at least he's friendly? No idea if he's a goon.

E: Lost in the Trees have an album coming out later this month, and are on a national tour right now. Go catch them because they are wonderful. Here's one of their newest tracks (Red) and one of my favorite oldies (Fireplace).

Akbar fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 9, 2012

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Bowerbirds are from Raleigh, NC, which actually has a really kick rear end indie music scene along with Durham and Chapel Hill. I think if you like Bowerbirds you'd also probably like Megafaun a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrjdWfIZ4fc

Justin Vernon from Bon Iver moved down to Raleigh from Wisconsin with the guys from Megafaun when they were all in a band called DeYarmond Edison. The band broke up, Justin's girlfriend dumped him, he got sick with mono, and then he moved back to Wisconsin and recorded his first album, much of which was written in North Carolina. The other three guys stayed behind and relocated to Durham and continued on as Megafaun. I think they're just as compelling as Bon Iver and in some ways are a little more interesting. And if you enjoy pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CBBdOk4Qic

The Love Language are also from Raleigh and make some ridiculously awesome, catchy music and are label mates on Merge Records with Arcade Fire/Superchunk/The Magnetic Fields/Wild Flag/M. Ward/Spoon/Wye Oak/too many other great bands to mention. I'll stop ranting about North Carolina bands now.

Also came here to warn everyone about the new Beach House record. I've had the privilege of hearing it in advance. If you're into them, you will be very, very pleased.

Nah man, the Triangle scene is awesome. I'm pumped to see Lost in the Trees play their show at the Cradle on 4/20. Album release party every day.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Mother Mother is amazing and I wish they would tour the Southeast goddamnit.

E: bonus video of an amazing live arrangement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVPV_9efZEU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

I loved their first album but listening to the second album made me think they took some of the best parts from earlier songs and then created some kind of self-formula. Then they recorded that formula 12 times. Seriously, Kate does that long-drawn-out word thing a ton of times and it got weird.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Tegan and Sara just released the lyric video for their new single "Closer". I'm digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7MNGPmrlW0

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Gils posted:

Looking at pictures, I think it was the contrabass saxophone, which is in one of the videos linked, I believe.

Either way thing was cool.

It's a contrabass clarinet and the guy playing it has a poo poo embouchure. Track shreds pretty good though.

Nick Thorburn and Islands just released their new single on Youtube. The track is like halfway between A Sleep and a Forgetting and Return to the Sea. I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuyZgazGtSQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
The new Avi Buffalo album is being streamed here with track-by-track commentary: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/08/avi-buffalo-at-best-cuckold-album-stream-and-track-by-track-guide