Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Anyone picked up the new Cloud Nothings? It's got more spiky hooks than the end of Hellraiser and I'm a little in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m gonna stick up for Jack Antonoff for a second here. He’s not a bad producer at all, I just don’t like his output with Lana. He’s much better working for Lorde or Taylor Swift, and I generally enjoy most of what he’s put out as Bleachers.

Yeah, I don't think he has a 100% success rate, but "Don't Take the Money" was a great single and "I Want You in My Room" with Carly Rae Jepsen was absolutely fantastic.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sir Lemming posted:

OK Computer is probably the ideal intro to Radiohead, so try that if you haven't. You'll probably recognize 1 or 2 of its best songs already, but on the off chance you don't, you're in for a treat.

If you like that album but think "I wish they did more of the mellow and weird stuff" you're in luck!

If you wish they would get a little more upbeat then you can probably just walk away

I've tried to crack Radiohead a few times, but beyond Kid A, just can't do it. Its not the drearyness (I'm fine with dreary) as much as the worthy Bansky-mural-Black-Mirror-what-if-phones-but-too-much-what-if-Ronald-McDonald-had-a-bottle-of-poison vibe that I can't get past. Kid A is really good, but I've bounced off OK Computer several times now and think I need to call it quits. I'd be open to trying other records, but there's a lack of colour to their music for me for want of a better term.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 24, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Henchman of Santa posted:

New Dinosaur Jr. is pretty standard DJ, but the baseline for them (or anything Mascis plays guitar on really) is still worth listening to.

Yeah, its absolutely ideal for the weather brightening and the possibility of hanging with friends and having a beer maybe happening, but it sure is a Dinosaur Jr record!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DC Murderverse posted:

The one nice surprise playing Cyberpunk 2077 at launch among all of the many, many terrible ones was hearing LEG pop up in a song in the radio, their vibe fits perfectly into that soundtrack and I would love to see another album from them (and also Snail Mail while I’m making a prayer to the Pitchfork Gods)

Let's Eat Grandma's breakthrough was 2018, not that long ago and they're still very young. They could surprise us yet. I'd like to see more, that record was really good.

I like Snail Mail, but she's kind of at risk of getting lost in a sea of very similar artists, maybe.

What's the thread's take on Dry Cleaning? I slept on them a bit until their album just clicked, and it might be strong contender for record of the year. Its like Life Without Buildings/Sonic Youth/Joy Divison/Television playing at once, I'm seriously addicted:

https://youtu.be/6PuqlOTyJt0

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I wonder if the perceived injury about S-K comes from a mix of nostalgia from their arguable first peak (Dig Me Out through to The Woods) and a real return to form with a great rock record in No Cities to Love.

I'm not really a fan of St. Vincent, there's a bit too much archness and artifice to her work that's not to my taste, so I can kind of get going "Team Janet" if you just wanted more rock records.

I mean, whatever, they're not my favourite band, but they have more banging albums than a lot of bands and were consistent for a long time, so I understand even if I don't quite agree or feel that invested. It feels like "No Cities..." was a bonus rather than a new status quo when you consider what bands output is normally like after a hiatus or reformation.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 8, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
With Wet Leg, a lot of it is misogyny, but they did appear incredibly polished and fully formed. That probably has as much to do with the fact that bands can't really build up a sound for 3 albums before crossing over any more. It happens (look at Wednesday and Rat Saw God), but where the stakes are initially much lower.

If Wet Leg have any sin, its how loving annoying and laboured that "Big D" line in Chaise Longe is. We get it, you sort of said "Dick" on the Radio 6 breakfast show, how subversive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't think Rick knows anything about current indie, which is funny cause it answers all his complaints about "modern" music.

Beato is playing to his crowd of boomers and 25 year old boomers with 7-string Jacksons and light-up keyboards and can be ignored for the most part.