Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Let's all talk about how wonderful the new fun. album is because a) it really, really is great and b) they deserve to sell like a million copies and be able to afford that upper-echelon of designer drugs reserved for the mega-famous.

The first track is total "Night at the Opera"-era Queen, complete with bombastic orchestration and some ridiculous harmonies. By the end of it I was just sitting at my desk, grinning like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Yo, I Am Gemini, the new Cursive record, is twisted to hell and probably stands as the darkest, heaviest thing they've ever recorded. Without spoiling anything, it's a concept album about a pair of twin brothers on opposite ends of the moral spectrum and their downward spiral into depraved lunacy. Their last record, Mama, I'm Swollen was pretty lackluster, and Tim's solo album was kind of a mess so I'm really stoked they've come back with such a strong release, since Ugly Organ and Happy Hollow are two of my all-time favorites.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Akbar posted:

I haven't given it a listen at all yet, but which previous album would you say it's closest to, if any? I love Domestica, Such Blinding Stars, and Ugly Organ, but didn't really feel Happy Hollow after a couple of spins. It actually turned me off so much that I didn't pursue Mama, I'm Swollen at all. I'd be down to hop back on the bandwagon, though.
Like Glug_Glug said already, it's sort of an amalgamate of their sound as a whole, but a good majority of the tracks call back to those jarring busszaw riffs on songs like Lament of Pretty Baby. The last track specifically builds to a loving killer crescendo that's probably louder and more intense than anything they've ever recorded before. Twin Dragon has this synth line running beneath it. The song sounds and plays like some Faustian circus nightmare but it's probably the most infectiously catchy track on the album.

And the story isn't as obtuse as some reviews (Pitchfork) make it seem. There's some stuff you'll miss out on if you skip the liner notes, but it's easy enough to piece together what's going on after a few listens. And most of the songs work independent of the others, so it's not really an album you HAVE to absorb as parts of a whole.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2012

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I don't know if anyone cares, but Cheap Girls don't seem to care about much of anything either so I'm gonna go ahead and plug their new album, Giant Orange, anyway. If you've ever spent any of time sunk deep into the mundane drudgery of twenty-who-gives-a-poo poo post-collegian, pre-career depression, and wanna hear an amalgamate of Dinosaur Jr. and mid-90's Harvey Danger, you'll be right at home.

This is from their last album, My Roaring 20s, but it's one of those songs where when I first heard it I instantly knew this band was "for" me because it was so loving accurate to where I am in my life.
http://youtu.be/hz2tN02oKxo

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Have any of you guys listened to John K. Samson's solo album? I want nothing more in this world than a new Weakerthans album, but gently caress me if it doesn't fill the void.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Glug_Glug posted:

Yeah , I went back and listened to the first album. I like Some Nights more, but there is some really good stuff on Aim and Ignite. Especially "Be Calm", that song is so addictive. I even started listening to The Format again, some really good pop music.

I want to listen to Steel Train. Does anyone know where to start with them?
Probably just listen to their last album. It sounds a lot like the stuff on Some Nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYCNdOcu-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

is anyone talking about the new broken social scene record yet? seems to be a nice compromise between the cleaner production of their last album and the "gently caress it just throw another guitar into the mix" philosophy from their earlier stuff. even the sparser tracks are fairly dense. no song ever really gets as loose as i'd like it to, but i'm just so happy to have them back as a collective that i haven't really given it too much of a critical listen yet.