Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I had heard "Archie, Marry Me" many times in my favorite bar, but hearing "Party Police" (such a sad and beautiful guitar line) on the CBC Radio 3 podcast finally got me to check out their album, which I played over and over last year. Shimmering guitars; detached, almost flat vocals; subtly moody synths, and I love what they sing about. Judging by "In Undertow," and what Molly said about the album ("“This record is a fantasy breakup arc and my life nearly imitated art"), it sounds like we're in for more of the same. I love this kind of sunny guitar bummer pop. So glad they're back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
31, single, and going to shows is a big hobby of mine. I discover most new artists through trolling local indie venue calendars, checking out bands that look sort of interesting on Spotify, and adding the concert dates to my Google calendar. Either I really dig the artist and buy a ticket in advance or leave it as a gametime decision. This leads to me seeing some mediocre shows every now and then, but mostly I'm just glad to get out of the house, and sometimes I end up seeing a really great show and gaining a new favorite artist.

Otherwise, I discover artists by seeing what friends are listening to on Spotify (found Vatican Shadow this way), Shazaming things at bars (found Neon Indian this way; not new, but discovered it was Hall & Oates I was always hearing, and gave Cabaret Voltaire another shot this way), giving friends' recommendations a chance (discovered Barn Owl, TOPS, and Hoops this way), and discovery through podcast (Alvvays, Gwenno, MUNA, La Luz, Tacocat, Boy Harsher, Chastity Belt).

I guess I'd credit Spotify with being the most important thing that's helped me find new bands I like. It's so easy to type in an artist's name, and see if they're any good. I got a subscription last year and last.fm tells me I haven't listened to that many tracks since college.

My general advice would be to listen to what you want, and let new artists come naturally — discovering new sounds should be fun and exciting; it shouldn't feel a chore. Otherwise, the least :effort: ways to discover new sounds are Spotify playlists (though beware) or something like the All Songs Considered podcast or a community radio show.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have been really enjoying Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's new EP, French Press — busy jangle rock with a weary Australian twang. I just keep coming back to it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

incoherent posted:

I hope that rant doesn't include chastity belt. :mad:

Chastity Belt are really something. Pretty good progression across their albums. I love Julia's voice, their lyrics, and the couple of Lydia and Gretchen tracks on their latest album. I love it when bands switch singers.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here's some premium-grade dream pop for you guys — a band from Vermont called Bleach Day. A little samey, but workmanlike, and impressive enough. I'd definitely see them live if I had the chance.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dugong posted:

Unless she's changed since she toured as CC, Alice Glass is a maniac live. Tried to start fights with the crowd, security and wrecked the drummer's kit. You've been warned goons.

One of the craziest shows I've ever seen was Crystal Castles in DC in 2010. Three DJs played three interminable opening acts; at one point, I think I was surrounded by people on ecstasy. When Crystal Castles finally took the stage, a seemingly possessed Alice Glass appeared out of nowhere, and flew into a berserkergang. She must have crowdsurfed near me like ten times. Half the time it was like, "Oh, cool, reach out and touch Alice Glass" — the other half of the time it was like, "This girl is going to fall on me if I don't hold her up." There was so much heaving back in the forth in the crowd, I felt short of breath a couple of times, and at the end of the show, my hands were wrinkled from keeping my hands against other people's backs and shoulders, just trying to keep myself from getting pushed over. It was nuts.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Boywhiz88 posted:

I mean, it’s not like this came out while they were still a band. I’ve definitely not felt comfortable about supporting CC post-Alice just because it diminished her role when she was an integral part. Now I have something I can point to for people who still support Ethan.

Yeah, Alice's statement about leaving Crystal Castles seemed fairly plausible to me, and the nastiness of Ethan's response basically confirmed what she said. Her latest statement is sad, but not surprising. I hope Ethan's career is over.

I agree with you about feeling uncomfortable supporting them after Alice left. There was something off-putting about his "I'll just replace Alice" approach. It read to me as "female leads are interchangeable," and Alice basically confirms it: "But he often told me how replaceable I was. He’d even tell me that he was actively looking for someone to replace me."

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, I feel bad for the new gal because 1) she’s likely in a similar position to Alice with regard to abuse and control from Ethan, and 2) she probably joined CC viewing it as an opportunity and a starting point, and now she’s embroiled in all of Ethan’s baggage.

Yeah, I hope she quits and lands on her feet. Edith-Alice supergroup?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Hotbutt posted:

. . .drank out of a bottle of Jack. She overpowered the lights, the music, and she sang her rear end off.

drat, I forgot about the bottle of Jack Daniel's. What a trap star.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I liked japandroids back in the day but I still lol when I remember a story I read about how the lead guy positions a fan in front of himself so his hair blows dramatically in the wind

Ha ha, Janet Weiss from Sleater-Kinney does the same thing, doesn't she? I think it's more to keep her cool, but I like the glammy effect

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Hotbutt posted:

If you hate Ryan Adams, like me, then it's a perfect read because that guy eats it hard during various interviews.

His cover of Tegan and Sara's "Back in Your Head" is on my Spotify "The Ones That Got Away" playlist and, wow, it would have been nice if he could have, like, hit a few of the notes

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
If any Ex Hex fans live in DC, I'm selling my ticket to see them tomorrow night for :10bux:. Sadly, I can't make it. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: Found a buyer, but you should still go see the show! DC's best band, imo

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 30, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

abraham linksys posted:

wait, holy poo poo, why is ex hex doing a show? I thought they were done, is this just a one-off for something? Rips is a loving incredible album and some day I hope they follow it up

one of the women in ex hex is in a new band called wolfbite and i'm looking forward to their album in february, cuz this bangs

Betsy Wright the bassist is in Bat Fangs, yeah!

To your first point, the rumor is that Ex Hex is working on a new album. They never called it quits, but they were very quiet last year, and this year, they were busy with a European tour, then Betsy was tied up with Bat Fangs and Mary was doing a Helium tour... What I would guess is this show in their hometown tomorrow is a warm up to get the band back together and test some new material. I am annoyed I can't make it, but, god willing, I'll be able to see them again soon.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Was anyone else a little underwhelmed by Every Open Eye? I found a few of the songs formulaic and some of the lyrics pretty inartful. "Bury It and Rise Above" comes to mind as a good example — the riff and chorus are just so monotonous. Not to say I didn't like the album altogether — I thought "Down Side of Me" was good, and "High Enough to Carry You Over" was a real surprise — maybe my favorite track.

It might just be that The Bones of What You Believe is that good that it's hard to match. Still, I'm looking forward to their next album and would definitely see them live again, and think Lauren Mayberry is a real force for good in pop culture.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
They were never my favorite, but just the other day I was thinking, I feel like Matt & Kim's music will not (hasn't?) age(d) well

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
If I had to name a band I think will definitely withstand the test of time, I'd gush about Chairlift.

Chairlift are probably best known for the single they had on an Apple commercial, "Bruises". I first discovered Chairlift in 2012 at an indie dance party with music videos when this came on. I was transfixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XRKr19jIE

I made a note of them and got their second album, Something, later that year for Christmas. I listened to it over and over, and I couldn't believe how good the songwriting and production was. Over the years I checked out the rest of their stuff and I think it's all good. Even more, they have any have a good diversity of sounds across each of their three albums.
  • Does You Inspire You (2008), their first album, is quite playful — very much a "we wrote this in college album" — lots of songs about silly things, a few experiments, but a few pretty good tracks, and "Bruises" really is Chairlift at their best.
  • Something (2012) is more consistent. The album has a little bit of a dark thread running through it, and I I think most of the aggression on the album is directed toward a departing member of the group who had been in a relationship with the singer. Supposedly the opening track, "Sidewalk Safari", is meant for him, which makes it the most fun and eloquent angry breakup song ever.
  • Moth (2016) would be their last album. It's much brighter, and upbeat album written while Polachek was falling in love with her now husband. Warmer, slicker tracks with some R&B influences where the last album was moody and more bold synth sounds. Something is my favorite, but I still listen to Moth a lot, and would recommend Moth over Something if you prefer your music on the joyful side.
Sadly, they decided to break up in 2017 to pursue separate projects, but that was the only thing they ever did to disappoint me, and they even had the decency to do a farewell tour. Talented musicians both, and together a real class act.

Recommended if you like indie electronic acts a little on the arty side like Neon Indian, YACHT, Poliça, and Yeasayer.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just about died when I saw this yesterday morning

https://twitter.com/charli_boys/status/951605559194734594

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

T Bowl posted:

Never liked them, I can't stand Meloy's vocals and they just always seemed boring to me even though they had a diverse set of instruments and sounds.

I'm a big Colin Meloy hater as well, but I have to say, I love "The Legionnaire's Lament." It's a beautiful song. Am I right in thinking it's quite restrained for a Decemberists track?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Slandible posted:

I cant remember the last time I payed over $40 for any ticket, you guys in big coast cities?

DC here. I'm surprised how far back I had to go. Without fees, the last expensive shows I saw were Adam Ant ($35), Chvrches ($35), and Morrissey ($55). I would have paid a lot of money to see Depeche Mode and Warpaint last year (dream bill), but I had a conflict. :qq:

I feel like $10–25 shows are the best value. I just bought tickets to see Japanese Breakfast at the 9:30 Club for $18 ($29 with fees :argh:). Excited to see her headline.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Thom and the Heads posted:

more interesting than anything they've ever released lmao

:drat:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
New Chvrches teaser if you dial (800) 674-3364.

Vindictive Lauren, best Lauren :allears:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Big City Drinkin posted:

It reminds me of a numbers station the way it repeats

fallen ribs know :respek:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Found out that the singer of The Twilight Sad (great band) has a new project called Out Lines and they're going to be opening for Mogwai on some dates. They're pretty decent.

The Twilight Sad are so good, especially their last two albums. They sound like defeat, and all its accompanying pathos, anguish, and confusion. Driving beats and good melodies and instrumentation. Also notable for their singer's intense Scottish accent — I didn't know he was singing in English until halfway through the first track I heard by them ("Another Bed").

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don't listen to Sylvan Esso, but "Coffee" is a really good single.

Guavatin posted:

Can anyone recommend some synth artists in the way of purity ring/Grimes/Chvrches? I'm looking for my fix.

Given that you like Grimes and Purity Ring, I'm inclined to recommend the whole suite of dark Canadian synthpop. Check out Austra's first album, Feel It Break, for more spooky songwriting or TR/ST, Joyland, for something more dancefloor oriented. The history of Crystal Castles is tragic, and I feel torn about acknowledging the band's past work, but their self-titled 2008 album is really something. It was the first big hit of this new wave of Canadian synthpop, and I think you can hear its influence in later chillwave and witch house.

Lastly, Chairlift might be a little artier than what you're looking for, but they are definitely synth. Check out this effort post.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Speaking of surf — La Luz announce new album and single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVaZuX5FRDA

For those who don't know, they play surf rock on the chill side — like you're at the beach but it's cloudy and windy and you have to go buy a sweater from a souvenir shop. Both of their albums so far have been good, but Weirdo Shrine has been my favorite.

Fake edit: Y Niwl sound great, thanks for the recommendation. gently caress, I love surf rock.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

resident posted:

The number of tweets I've seen by her re: crying makes her sound like a loving mess, and probably awful to deal with on a business level.

I support Grimes and her right to be as messy as she needs to be, but yeah, I had to unfollow her on Twitter a while back.

The thing I have trouble forgiving her for, though, was having her boyfriend open for her in 2012. He performed solo as Elite Gymnastics and it was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. He opened with a cover — no — he announced that he would be opening with a cover, then did so. This gambit presaged the weakness to come. His music was bad, and he kept talking about how shy and nervous he was, but also about how inspiring he finds the work of Andrea Dworkin, which made the whole thing even more :staredog:. That man did not deserve a stage and she gave him one. Jesus.

She was super cool after the show, though. I think I was gushing about how good Visions was and how much great electronic music was coming out of Canada, and she gave me an unsolicited hug, signed my album, and it was great, so I guess I forgive her, but I still can't forget how badly she enabled that guy.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Forgive the double post, but she's not wrong.

The Daily Beast posted:

After releasing the statement about her alleged abuse, Glass says she was contacted by multiple women about their own experiences with Kath. The Daily Beast spoke with Glass and four more of Kath’s alleged victims. Together, the five accusers described a spectrum of behavior from “grooming” to nonconsensual sex and physical abuse. Their allegations paint a pattern of targeting fans aged 14 to 19—fans who recall being initially shocked and flattered to be noticed by an older musician they admired.

There's always more and it's always worse. :smithicide:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Oh so THAT'S how they got my number. Yeah that makes sense

They even answered a few reply texts, so it wasn't just a shell number

I can't think of anything to reply with other than "I am excited to listen to your new album!" :saddowns:

The messages I've gotten are track 5 is "Forever" and "The truth exists somewhere between the dark and the light."

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
:siren: NEW LADYTRON SINGLE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWJ8vkE9w8

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I've been waiting an ETERNITY for this after Hunt said they were working on something 2 years ago. I loving love this new song and immediately kickstarted to the Pledgemusic thing. Holy poo poo it's been so long, I forgot how much I loved them and I adore the new images and headers they are using, seems like they're going back to a Witching Hour feel.

If you liked Witching Hour (and honestly, who didn't), Helen has some good news for you. Quoted in this article:

Rolling Stone posted:

Jim Abbiss, who also worked on Ladytron's 2005 album Witching Hour, produced the track. "'The Animals' was the first new song we had, and with it we went immediately into the studio with Jim," Marnie said in a statement. "He's the producer who has really understood us the most."

I have high hopes for this new album too. Velocifero had a few bangers, and I liked some of the experimental song structures they had on Gravity the Seducer, but they were sort of disappointments to me overall. I just don't find myself wanting to listen to them as much as much as I do their first three albums — 604 is so delightfully analog and they sound so young on it, Light and Magic is so sexy and summery, and Witching Hour is just such a complex, complete album.

Do you (or does anyone else) listen to Helen Marnie's (d.b.a. "Marnie") solo stuff? I really liked Crystal World. Same great voice, same great synth sound (the record was produced by Daniel Hunt), but the lyrics are really well written and more emotional and vulnerable than anything Ladytron's done. "Submariner" still bowls me over. That outro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEj44OoG1Y

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Alec Eiffel posted:

Do I trade my Crystal Castles records in for bottom rate prices at the record shop or just give them to a Goodwill

Keep them and bear witness to Alice's story

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Except for Amnesty. Throw that one right in the trash where it belongs lol

It was made after Alice left too, so there's nothing to bear witness to except for the part of the story where CC is poo poo without Alice

Has anyone heard anything from Edith Frances? :ohdear:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

turnip kid posted:

New Gwenno album is pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCeygWexyA

RIYL: Broadcast, Stereolab...

She was in The Pipettes. This is her second great album. This one's entirely in Cornish; the last one was in Welsh. The Pipettes weren't great, but Rose and Gwenno have been making great music.

I really like Gwenno. The new album didn't blow me away the same way that Y Dydd Olaf did, but I'm glad she's still making this kind of music. Hopefully she tours the US like she did in 2016.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Indulge me in some category geekery here — what is the common thread I'm picking up between bands like Fickle Friends...
...Pale Waves...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1j5M5PTC4

...and MUNA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnps91BM-cs
(ps. it doesn't illustrate my point, but I feel the need to mention that Tiësto's remix of "Winterbreak" is really good)

Is it just female vocals and 80s-influenced production? Is this a movement? Is there a name for it? Is it just derivative? Who else is doing this?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

:agreed:

The French Press EP is so so good. Thrilled to see them on tour in the US soon.

My favorite early track from them is probably "Career".

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
For the sensitive kids, there was a good article about today's wave of young female indie singer-songwriters. Mentioned therein: Mitski, Waxahatchee, Jay Som, Soccer Mommy, Lucy Dacus, and Snail Mail.

Jia Tolentino posted:

It is, in part, this deadpan self-consciousness—and the instinct for expressing it in a way that feels expansive and fruitful, never narrow or limiting—that gives the work of these singer-songwriters such emotional accuracy. There is an irony creeping into all of our despondence these days.

The volume of good and at least interesting music coming out these days is truly overwhelming, but it makes me happy. :unsmith:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

plz dont pull out posted:

Kind of a crosspost but I finally listened to Fickle Friends' new album and it's real good. Favorite album of the year so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJ96evIia8

I've really been enjoying this album — thanks for the recommendation. I like what I read in an interview with the singer: "We always want to write upbeat dance music, and I can’t write lyrics that are happy."

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever basically melted my face off last night

They said they'll be coming back to the US later this year. August, I think?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
:ohdear:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Anyone seen Fever Ray live? Thinking of getting a ticket for the Chicago show tho I'm only a bit familiar with the new album.

poo poo looks crazy.

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll let you know how tonight's show in DC is.

I was disappointed by her new album, but couldn't miss the opportunity to see her. Sometimes I still can't get over how perfect her debut album was.