Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
BIRP. 120 songs each month, usually sent to this guy by publishers and the musicians themselves of rising artists. It's great to download and mix in with playlists of other music or just run in the background and wait to see what grabs you.

Probably my best find from BIRP has been Low Roar, an indie-folk act from Iceland that brings me back to when I was younger and listening to Sigur Ros still had that "wow" factor. This song is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

Hipster sighted, transmitting co-ordinates. Move to position Tango and await my signal. Do you copy, over.

A question. I know of an artist who has over 800k Last.fm plays, some TV time and quite a few celebrity fans, but has not had any significant impact in the US. SA being a primarily American forum, is it appropriate to pimp them in this thread?

Indie is all relative, I don't think anyone's going to yell at you.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

As someone who loved the poo poo out of Rook and Palo Santo I'm not really feeling the electronic instrumentation here.

Yeah, the biggest appeal of Shearwater for me is just hearing Meiburg tower over the symphonic arrangements, and he's kind of buried by the production in the new single. I'm still excited to hear the album, though.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
How do y'all feel about the new Santigold album? The second half sags a little for me but the first half is really fun. The singles are great and "Rendezvous Girl" is pop perfection.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I think there's a raw power and this self-lacerating earnestness to her delivery that you don't get from a lot of her peers. The instrumentation is folky but the delivery and songwriting is more Hop Along or Mitski than that parade of Lana Del Rey imitators doing "folksy breathy guitarrista" stuff. It's especially obvious on the live performances -- the album's production makes her sound a little more generic than she deserves. (The "Vessels" on the Spotify Session is so, so much better than the album version.)

Speaking of Mitski, her new album's great and she just keeps getting better.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Nateron posted:

Man after the new Shins and Real Estate albums being so mediocre I need some cheering up. I was hoping with a lot of my favorite artists releasing this year that it was gonna be great but man, so far it's 3 strikes.

Really wish Lord Huron had another I. The tubes. Recommend me something fun.

The new Jens Lekman is pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
New Loma album came out yesterday and I'm really loving it – moody, atmospheric, clever songwriting and instrumentation. It's a collaboration of Emily Cross from Cross Record and Jonathan Meiburg from Shearwater. Their first album was one of my favorites for a while and I think this one is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkDXIcpQs2Q