Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Davincie posted:

Also the new Islands album is really good y'all

The new Islands IS really good, but its such a subtle record. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to write it off as "boring," as it never really escapes from a consistent MOR sound. But the songwriting is amazing and its really personal...in that overly-self-conscious Nick Thorburn kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Akbar posted:

Talkin' 'bout Islands.

After reading this I decided that I just have to see Islands live. So I go check out when they're going to be near me... Friday. Two days from now. There's no chance in hell I'll be able to get off of work with that short of notice. I'm going to have to start paying attention to these things.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Davincie posted:

Get songkick. Scan your last.fm account.

Oh, this is great! Thank you!

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

In regards to Grimes, yeah, I love the new album too. "Genesis" and "Oblivion" are two songs that I just can't stop listening to and I love the rest of the album too. The fantastic houseboat story really just adds to her appeal too.

http://pitchfork.com/news/45488-the-tale-of-grimes-insane-2009-houseboat-adventure-the-best-thing-youll-read-all-day/

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I almost feel like the entire Italians Do It Better collective deserves their own thread, but I've been a bit obsessed with them lately. The timing couldn't be better, of course, with the just-released new Chromatics album Kill for Love. Is anyone else absolutely in love with this right now?

If not, go here and listen to some of these amazing songs (and then buy the album immediatley):

http://soundcloud.com/johnnyjewel

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh boy, oh boy, then teehee, are you going to love this. I wanted to make this post 2 hours ago, but work's been hectic.

I wanted to formally and publicly apologize to Mt. Modular and Gio for the egregious lies contained in this statement. This album has thoroughly burrowed itself into my brain. I can't even put my finger on it, the tracks are so simple. Even the worst moment on the album (the voicemail), is good because you're counting down til it's over because you just know poo poo's gonna groove when it's over. I change my vote, it's not a meh 8, it's a strong, stroooong 8, touching on a 9. This is great.

I am, however, the only person left on the planet who hasn't checked out that Chairlift LP yet!

Haha, you know...when you originally posted your reaction a week or two, I was going to make a comment in defense of the album and how much time I had invested in the album before I really loved it, but I decided against it - figuring that maybe I should accept the fact that other people didn't like it as much as I did.

But that said...I'm glad you've come around. Yeah, I've still not stopped listening to this album. The best part of it is that every time I listen to it, there's a new song that becomes my "favorite." Right now, for example, it's "Birds of Paradise."

For anyone on the fence about this album...give it some time, if you can.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I was in a cafeteria yesterday, listening to the Chromatics, in awe of something so simple being so good, when I realized, oh hey, Mt. Modular loved it, and he's on my last.fm, let's see how many times he's listened to it.

Man, you have heard the hell out of this album!

And yes, yes, yes, yes, Birds of Paradise, that's a standout. Also, nods to A Matter of Time, Into the Black and There's a Light. Fantastic, one and all.

Ha, that's sadly not even the tip of the iceburg. I listen to the thing in my car and on my Kindle Fire, too, neither of which scrobble. If they did...ugh, I don't even want to know. I think I've earned enough Frequent Listener Miles to have lunch with Johnny Jewel now.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Also, I could have sworn there was a discussion somewhere about Death Grips already, but I can't find it now (maybe I imagined it or it was on another thread/message board). Has anyone listened to these guys yet? It's like...post-apocalyptic noise rap or something. It's good...but it's weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43aQxzjyeM

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Orillion posted:

What do you guys think about the last Hot Chip? I don't think i've seen anything about it yet in the thread.

Personnally, i'm a bit conflicted about it: the beginning of the album reminds me of Metronomy's first songs, and i don't really like what's after Flutes (which, btw, is my favorite track on the album).

I actually really love the album as a whole. A few years ago the idea of a "mature" sounding Hot Chip album would be a little depressing, but I think they really nail it here. It lacks some of the wit and playfulness of their earlier albums, but all of the songs are just really well crafted. For sure, "Night and Day" and "Flutes" are probably the best songs on it, but the latter half grows on me more and more everytime I hear listen to it.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Yeah, well...us 7 people sure would like to have a discussion about the new Animal Collective album.

After one listen, I have to say that I like it quite a bit. It's more immediately enjoyable to me than MPP, but not as mind-blowing as Strawberry Jam (which may forever be my favorite AC album). I really like the sound though, and there are some really great moments. I'm looking forward to listening to this a lot more.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

zanmatto posted:

I really like OK Go. What are some other bands that I might like that are similar?

I am totally ignorant about indie rock and alternative rock in general, so act like you're talking to a total beginner.

I don't know if they sound like OK GO, but whenever I'm in the same mood that leads me to OK GO, I tend to listen to a lot of Sloan too. Maybe try them out.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I am in love with the new Menomena album, Moms. Anyone else? They've always been super-consistently good, even though I think it took a while to warm up to some of the songs on Mines. Also, I really thought they'd have lost a critical component when Brent left the group, but it's like the other two members have gone into overdrive. It's surprisingly aggressive and really cohesive.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

thehoodie posted:

I stumbled upon it just a couple days ago after not even knowing who they were, and it's been on constant rotation on my playlist since then. I am really enjoying it. Guess I will have to check out their older stuff now! Any recommendations?

Friend and Foe is, in my opinion, their best. But "I am the Fun Blame Monster" (an anagram for "the first Menomena album") is also pretty fantastic.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

Tobacco sent out downloads of the new Black Moth Super Rainbow album and EP to Kickstarter backers this morning.

I've only had the chance to listen to them twice so far, but they're really good. I'm pretty psyched to see them live on Halloween night.

I am really excited about the new BMSR album. Really, any new music from Tobacco period is fine in my book. I wish I knew there was a Kickstarter that supported any project related to them, because I definitely would've been on board for that.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Glug_Glug posted:

I've been listening to Sufjan Stevens new Christmas album. It's 59 songs, so there is alot of crap but some of this stuff is just excellent. I'd say mostly skip through the first 2 discs, and listen to the last 3. Christmas Unicorn is especially good, mostly for the amazing lyrics.

I have to agree with this. Even the songs that are EXACTLY like what you'd expect from a 5 disc Sufjan Stevens Christmas album are still pretty sounding and enjoyable. But it's the completely insane left turns the album takes (especially in the latter three discs) that make this worth the time. "Christmas Unicorn" is honestly in the running for one of my favorite songs of this year.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's music, there aren't spoilers!

I've waited til after Christmas, too, just to keep from going crazy. I put on christmas music, but more and more of the playlist is Mr Stevens. I've got 2 discs of Vince Guaraldi, 1 of Oscar Peterson, 1 of comedy songs, and 10 of Sufjan. Dude's monopolizing my holiday cheer.

Yeah, five years from now I fear that I'm going to have 15 discs worth of Sufjan Christmas music to feel like I have to fit in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That just seems stressful. But in a good way.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Benadryl Brownie posted:

Just stumbled across something and realized that ten years ago Trail of Dead released Source Tags & Codes. I remember watching the video for Another Morning Stoner on MTV2 and being totally blown away.

God I love that loving record. Shame everything after was pretty wank.

The post-ST&C output has received a fair amount of valid criticism, but I can honestly say that I've never been disappointed by ToD album. Still, I certainly get where the disappointment comes from.

That said, have you listened to their new album Lost Songs yet? If you haven't I really think you should. It's probably the closest they've come to ST&C since, and it's pretty great in it's own right.

Really, for anyone even remotely interested in Trail of Dead...listen to Lost Songs. It's really great.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

A little late to the Phoenix party, but I really enjoy Bankrupt! I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always preferred INBLT and Alphabetical to WAP. Then again, I may just still be recovering from the ridiculous number of times that "Lisztomania" and "1901" were played on just about anything with speakers for the last few years.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, but how do you folks feel about the new Cold War Kids album? I loved their first two (well, loved the first with enough goodwill to appreciate the second more than I should), but was really really disappointed by Mine is Yours. I like Dear Miss Lonelyhearts a bit. It's still not on par with the first album, and I feel like the band's expectations of their success is far beyond what they're likely to ever achieve at this point (though I hope I'm wrong), but it's still a vast improvement over MiY.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

http://portugaltheman.tumblr.com/allthefeels

So the new Portugal the Man album is streaming. And I'm really impressed. I've seen some skepticism from some about Danger Mouse being involved, but the album sounds like a natural progression from the last two albums. So far, I'm really liking it. The title track is definitely one of my favorite songs right now, along with "Waves".

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Vogon Poet posted:

Ten volumes of Sufjan Stevens Christmas music are all I need for the holiday season. Also, I saw one of his holiday concerts last December and it was amazing.

The Sufjan Christmas albums are all pretty great, though I definitely prefer last year's Silver and Gold collection (volumes 6-10) to the first set. I think it's the only Christmas album I've ever loved enough to listen to many of the tracks all year round. "Christmas Unicorn" in particular, is just perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_cPQn6vOdo

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

In our heads is considered their best? Good for them. I loved the albums before that but just never got into that one

Agreed. It's good, but in a world where The Warning and Made in the Dark exist, I'm surprised to hear anyone call that one their best.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I'd feel pretty bad for anyone who was seeing Temples while FJM was playing.

Also, I am having a polyamorous relationship with the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra album. It's really good. Maybe my favorite thing I've listened to so far this year.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

detectivemonkey posted:

They're a lot of fun live. Interesting to watch and Colin's banter is really enjoyable. They're up there with Belle & Sebastian for shows that are more lively and fun than you would ever expect. Although still well below B&S because holy poo poo they are fun live.

Not that anyone was asking for further evidence of this, but I saw B&S a month or two ago and I just want to say that it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. The band has so much chemistry and it was like watching a group of friends hanging out and playing great music. Lots of crowd interaction too.

Hey, there's a new Battles album coming out soon! You're excited too, right?

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Have we talked about the new Neon Indian record yet? I'm thoroughly obsessed with it at the moment.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/12/445367719/first-listen-neon-indian-vega-intl-night-school?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

gentle pete posted:

The new Deerhunter album is insanely bad. This track in particular sounds like something you'd hear in a car commercial. Well, that's my indie rock opinion. Thanks for reading.

"Insanely bad" is a tad of an overstatement. Like, I don't think its a bad album. It's just not a memorable one. Considering the sheer amount of great music that's come from Deerhunter/Atlas Sound, it feels like a bigger disappointment than it actually is.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

In a world where pop artists like Adele and Beyoncé have as much respect in the "indie scene" as Arcade Fire, I'm fine with Grimes getting the attention she does. Pop music unmolested by focus groups and potential sales figures, without having earned, say, Beyonce's level of universal acclaim? There's always room for more of that.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The worst I could say about Painting With is that it's not as good as their last 5 albums. It's poppy and fun, but a little forgettable. Really love "Recycling" though.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I didn't expect to like the new Yeasayer as much as I do. The last album (and probably 1/2 of the one before that) were a little lackluster, but this is hitting all the right weird/psych/pop buttons.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

I'm pretty sure Parquet Courts are the closest thing I have to a favorite band at the moment. As crazy as I am about the new album, everyone I've played it for seems pretty meh on it.

Maybe they're like the Miracle Whip of the indie-rock set or something.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Electoral Surgery posted:

the couple in dirty projectors broke up and they both made albums about it

dirty projectors (dave) - up in hudson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCruYl7kz4

amber coffman - all to myself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd4TSEGctHs

it must be a difficult situation for them but it's working out great for me, I'm enjoying what I've heard from each of them.

That Pitchfork article linked above states that Dave recently co-wrote/produced Amber's album, which seems crazy to me given the emotion in those new songs from both of them. Or, maybe, I just wish that if they could work together for that, they could also record another DP album together someday...

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I don't know... it's kind of monotonous and rambling. I'ts not bad but it feels like someone took all of Grandaddy's songs and distlled them down to a single-tone stream of themselves.

Yeah, I got kind of the same feeling. Like, it's a new Grandaddy album, and that's not a bad thing. But the only thing the album has going for it is that there aren't a lot of bands anymore who sound like Grandaddy. And if I wanted to listen to a Grandaddy album, then I'll just go listen to any of the albums they put out 13+ years ago.

Meanwhile, this new King Gizzard album is really great.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Conversely, I really like it.

What are people's thoughts on the new Father John Misty? I also think it is quite good.

TBF I am not very critical when it comes to music. Basically my test is: do I like to listen to it? Then it is good.

I like it, but I don't love it. I think Tillman is a smart and clever guy and I'll read/listen to anything he touches. But the album seems absurdly long and dense. It's really hard to listen to the whole thing in one shot and still be attentive in the second half. That said, when I've heard any of the songs on their own, I think they're each pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

Whenever they release a new album my first times listening I'm always like "Eh, more of the same" but then the songs just have a way of burrowing into my brain eventually, in a good way. It's been happening with this one too the past few days, I'm starting to like it more and more although I agree the first few tracks are the best (especially Theater) and it sort of dawdles in the middle before picking up again towards the end.

Surprisingly I also don't miss Bejar's songs as much as I thought I would even though he's one of my favorite songwriters and my two favorite NP songs are his.

This is pretty much how I feel. It took a few listens, but even at their less-than-best, Newman and Case are difficult to dislike. The lack of Bejar only seems bad on paper. The album seems pretty cohesive without him there to break it up.

And it also means new Destroyer music on the way too...seems fair to me.