Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one thinks your headphones are dorky unless you're not removing them when talking to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I preordered the Brilliant Frames. I don't give a poo poo about the ai stuff they're marketing it with, but they're fully open source and their previous product is well documented for developing your own apps.
I don't expect that I'll wear them day to day, but as a dev platform they're very exciting to me.

I'm going to try to hack up a live subtitles thing, or Pokemon Go HUD, or hand/voice free image capture (maybe by using onboard IMU and tensorflow lite to detect double teeth-click)

It's too bad that they only come in one style: "Where's Waldo?".

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Too bad they look so lame (and are $450 USD)

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
$350. But yeah, circular frames are quite a choice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yikes.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
circular frames can look fantastic. it really depends on proportions, complexion, hair styling, and wardrobe.

like these:

vs:

lol beaten on the Roger Stone pic

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

webcams for christ posted:

circular frames can look fantastic. it really depends on proportions, complexion, hair styling, and wardrobe.

So, I shouldn't get these...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Uthor posted:

So, I shouldn't get these...

same but you could highlight the other two things as well in my case.

Did Brilliant decide to memory-hole their Monocle product already? https://www.brilliantmonocle.com/ just redirects to the glasses now.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The Frames are an evolution of the monocle. The monocle docs and github are still quite available. I think they're just pushing the frames as the current version. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there's a "looking for Monocle?" link that takes you to https://brilliant.xyz/products/monocle

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I picked up a Fitbit Blaze back in 2018 and it did basically what I was looking for - HR tracking, sleep tracking, step counting, stopwatch. The included silicon band would cause a rash on my skin, but a replacement leather band fixed that issue. Today it doesn't lasts a full day before the battery is drained and the leather band is coming apart, so I'm trying to figure out if a new tracker is worth the investment or if I'd be better off just replacing the battery & band of my current one (~$40).

I was mainly looking at the Garmin vivosmart 5 - the thinner width of the "band" style appeals to me, but I don't know how much tracker technology has improved. Is there an appreciable improvement in heart rate/sleep/step tracking in a newer product?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
Heart rate tracking has improved in the past 6 years, though mostly with new features: modern optical heart rate monitors can measure blood oxygen, heart rate variability, and even do ecocardiograms. The budget "activity trackers" usually don't have those features though.

One other thing I'll say about fitbit is that they're owned by Google now, who have a bad habit of abruptly ending support for their side projects.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
My broad comment about any Garmin kit is that it's good but the phone-side app is a bit clunky. You might attribute it to them not having as good access to or experience with phone internals as (say) Google, but for whatever reason it's a bit complicated and fiddly, e.g. figuring out how to change the watchface on your device

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thanks. I'm going to pick up the vivosmart 5 and see how my skin deals with the silicon band - if it doesn't work out I'll break out my soldering iron and get it dangerously close to a lithium battery pack to get my fitbit working.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

nonathlon posted:

My broad comment about any Garmin kit is that it's good but the phone-side app is a bit clunky. You might attribute it to them not having as good access to or experience with phone internals as (say) Google, but for whatever reason it's a bit complicated and fiddly, e.g. figuring out how to change the watchface on your device

I agree. I saw articles earlier in the year that a fully refreshed and simplified design app was in the works. It can't come soon enough.

To be clear for anyone reading this, the app is perfectly capable and full of all sorts of functions and data. It's just poorly laid out and not intuitive to use, in my experience.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah I'm more or less a garmin stan and have been using their watches for longer than Smartphones have been around, when you had to plug it into your computer with a USB cable and read the .fit file on a PC.

They're a hardware company, with watches / bike computers / "fitness" products making up less than a quarter of their revenue. They have a huge market share in marine and aviation navigation, and even brought in $559 million in automobile navigation in 2022.

My wife is in the Garmin ios app beta test, and it's mostly a redesign of the main landing page, with the activity view & newsfeed remaining the same.

But to be honest, aside from maybe not being on the cutting edge of design, I've never fully understood the complaints.

Like, Strava is great due to segments and KoMs and route discovery, which I guess garmin could maybe implement, but with fewer users than Strava has access to.

What's always been most important to me is being able to review my runs and rides, and having a single ecosystem for my resting heartrate, sleep, relative training load, and bodyweight (since I use a Garmin Index wifi scale). It simplifies aggregating long-term trends, which I consider more important to my health and fitness goals than anything day-to-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the Connect redesign is a bit weird but it's still lightyears better than the Fitbit app, that one drove me nuts when I tried out the Pixel Watch 2. My biggest complaint is on my Venu 3, the font size is too big, and steals too much screen real estate - there's only one font size option available, and it's to make it even bigger

also if anyone else has had this issue (on version 9.25, and likely earlier), I opened a support case to ask about this because it was also driving me insane, but they confirmed that there's a bug on the Venu 3 - DND mode does not disable the wrist gesture to wake the screen. It's supposed to, as per the manual! So it made a movie the other night really awkward as my watch kept lighting up whenever I moved my arm, I ended up having to power it off the rest of the show. The support guy said it's being escalated internally to be fixed!