Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Logikv9 posted:

This is exactly why I'm putting a hold on buying this. Buying first-gen is just awful (Xoom was the worst thing ever) and even though its tempting, after a few days of what I'm sure will be plenty of angst about lovely battery/speed, I will regret the purchase.

Yeah, I'm really hoping the battery issues aren't as bad as they seem, but at the moment I'm leaning towards waiting for the ZenWatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ill enjoy the 360 or Ill return it. Its a new device catagory for me, and at the very least it will decide if I like the category in general.
If I do, I can always upgrade to a next gen smartwatch when they come out. If not, well, I'll return it and go buy a PS4. :shrug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I would like a 360 but i think the cut off at the bottom would drive my ocd rear end bonkers.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wait so Motorola chanced to a batch of lovely 2010 TI arm chips (TI quit arm chip business in 2012) from a dumpster and decided to make some smartwatches? :psyduck:

Maybe next time buy some Snapdragon 400's. They aren't that expensive, and everyone else uses them!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

Wait so Motorola chanced to a batch of lovely 2010 TI arm chips (TI quit arm chip business in 2012) from a dumpster and decided to make some smartwatches? :psyduck:

Maybe next time buy some Snapdragon 400's. They aren't that expensive, and everyone else uses them!

Technical TI only stopped putting them in smart phones. They continue to make them for snall other embedded devices. Either way its an odd choice. Likely they got a killer deal on old TI stock and were building to a specific price. I'm getting this 360 because I want it more as a curiosity thing, though. Its a first gen device so there's going to be some rough edges. I'm also starting to learn to develop so it'll be fun having a watch to mess around on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

360 has an awful CPU and the G Watch has an awful screen type.

Come on now, how hard is it really?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe the G Watch R will be perfect, if you like analog watch faces? :dance:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This just may solve all your problems if you want a good screen and amazing battery life. Of course it's not really a watch but who doesn't want a PIP boy?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

It could be cool, but that name is just terrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It just seems like it all comes down to Ambient mode on the 360. If the watch is active, it's burning through battery. If you let it sleep, it's ok.

So, if you don't mind having the watch face blank when not looking at it, it's probably fine.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/08/moto-360-ambient-screen-mode/

quote:

The Ambient Screen setting is turned off by default out of the box. Thats probably a good thing. In my testing thus far, I was able to kill my Moto 360 completely (as in it completely powered off) in about 13 hours of use with Ambient Screen turned to on. Thats not good enough. If you were to take your 360 off its charger in the morning, go to work, use it throughout the day, and then arrive home roughly 12 hours later, your 360 would be on its last ounces of juice. If you decide to go out for the evening, your 360 more than likely wont make it through the night.

With Ambient Screen turned to off I have had much more respectable results. In two full days of using the mode off I havent had to worry about the watch turning into a useless-but-fancy black screen before I turn in for the night. One night, I was at around 28% after 14 hours of use. The other, I was sitting at about 34% after about 16 hours of use.

The only real drawback to having Ambient Screen turned to off is the fact that you have to rely on Motorolas sensor magic to recognize every time you twist your wrist to look at your watch. Motorola has done a solid job of tuning the device to turn the screen on with the correct wrist gesture, but its not 100% perfect. There are times where you will still need to tap the screen or press the side button in order to turn the display on. Thats not a deal breaker by any means if you want your watch to last throughout a full day.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If i gotta do something more than look at it then i might as well get my phone out.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It could be cool, but that name is just terrible.

Yeah, it's not... the best. I'm terrible with coming up with names though.

Looking forward to mine though. I've wanted a smart watch for years. YEARS. Even had a pretty lame Chinese one from Amazon that had a little stylus so you could send texts on the world's smallest keyboard.

My Cuff comes in March. As long as it doesn't get delayed again :sigh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If i gotta do something more than look at it then i might as well get my phone out.

That's up to you. I would still find a tap of the screen if it didn't recognize me looking at the watch for some reason to be less troublesome than pulling my phone out of my pocket. Really though, for me it's about not missing notifications when my phone is in my pocket.

Always-on tanks the battery of all the android wear smart watches on the market and likely will continue to do so without a drastic breakthrough in screen tech. It's just exasperated on the 360 by the bad choice in SoC.

Really though, the takeaway right now is the 360 is still the only one on the market or coming up soon that feels and looks like a real watch on the wrist. The LG G R is closer, but it still lacks a lot of refinement in comparison on the physical design of the 360. The Zenwatch has a premium look and feel, but still misses out a bit on the watch form factor (see the comment about lug to lug distance in the Ars 360 review.)

Beyond that, we are probably 6-9 months away from a product refresh from existing manufacturers to try again. So, it's either the 360 now, or wait.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 8, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Qualcomm seems to be doing alright getting Snapdragons into Android Wear, maybe it is time for some Mirasol action?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Qualcomm seems to be doing alright getting Snapdragons into Android Wear, maybe it is time for some Mirasol action?

Mirasol would be the perfect application here, but I can't help but think it's still too expensive or we would have seen it pop up by now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Mirasol would be the perfect application here, but I can't help but think it's still too expensive or we would have seen it pop up by now.

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother. I would much more interested in a Moto 360 had they not crippled it with lovely battery life, price it $100 more, don't put a crap processor in it, put a OLED display with a low power mode in.

I get that it is a relatively new category and they are trying to be price sensitive but what is the point of saving $50-$100 if we are still talking $250 for a crippled product? We aren't exactly at the impulse purchase range.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother. I would much more interested in a Moto 360 had they not crippled it with lovely battery life, price it $100 more, don't put a crap processor in it, put a OLED display with a low power mode in.

I get that it is a relatively new category and they are trying to be price sensitive but what is the point of saving $50-$100 if we are still talking $250 for a crippled product? We aren't exactly at the impulse purchase range.

Android manufacturers do things differently from Apple. This kind of thing where the first generation or two have a lot of compromises is just the way they do it.

If it would have taken them another 6 months to work out all the issues, they would have been missing out on 6 months of selling product. This way they get something out there that some people will buy and that gives them lots of real-world usage data.

Of course, there's downsides as well. They may tarnish their image too much or whatever. Obviously, they decided it was worth doing the release, and I don't think we can say whether it was a bad idea or not.

Personally, I'm always a fan of releasing early and iterating quickly.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
As great as Apple is about launching stuff, I don't think they are going to pull off a watch concept that anyone other than the diehard Apple fan will buy. Pretty much the same thing right now with all wearable tech, the general public just isn't into it yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

As great as Apple is about launching stuff, I don't think they are going to pull off a watch concept that anyone other than the diehard Apple fan will buy. Pretty much the same thing right now with all wearable tech, the general public just isn't into it yet.

Not to be all Apple fans :jerkbag: but unless the iWatch is so bad that someone like Mossberg says it is utter garbage I find it hard to believe that Apple won't be minting cash with the iWatch as even just a fashion accessory. It would have to be bad, bad, bad for them not to sell a shitload of them, like Fitbit Force contact dermatitis bad.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 8, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Not to be all Apple fans :jerkbag: but unless the iWatch is so bad that someone like Mossberg says it is utter garbage I find it hard to believe that Apple won't be minting cash with the iWatch as even just a fashion accessory.

It depends. Watches are a funny thing. One of the (eventual) strengths of Android Wear is we're going to have a lot of choices in style and size. Apple will probably pull off something very nice and very competently put together, but also something that's not going to be very individual. I don't know how many people will buy into having the same thing on their wrist as everyone else. It's something that works fine for phones, but it's a different dynamic when you are looking at something like a watch.

It will be neat to see what they come up with. However, unless they reverse tack about cross platform compatibility, whatever they announce will be useless to me.

On the 360, Moto has shown off the design iterations of the device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/08/moto-360-prototypes/

One interesting thing is they did toy with a fully round watch that necessitated a larger bezel. They felt the more minimal bezel was the way to go.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That's up to you. I would still find a tap of the screen if it didn't recognize me looking at the watch for some reason to be less troublesome than pulling my phone out of my pocket. Really though, for me it's about not missing notifications when my phone is in my pocket.
I had a FuelBand a while back and thought the button press to show time could be annoying cause it required my other hand to press the button, vs being able to just pull out my phone and press a button with my thumb with the same hand to see the screen. I guess that's one of my concerns usability wise with these things. The wrist is more convenient for showing stuff but seems like it can be more cumbersome to actually interact with if necessary.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Damnit. Just waltzed into a Best Buy and bought the last black 360 they had. I don't even want it that much...tempted to flip on Swappa, but that's too much hassle.

Here we go!

Edit: it's got a dead green pixel. Yay!

Edit again: Taking the band off every single night will get old, fast. I know, you do that with any Android Wear watch, but this band is finicky and hard to remove for some reason. If I do keep it, time to find a metal band with a quick release clasp.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 9, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You usually sleep with a watch on?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Damnit. Just waltzed into a Best Buy and bought the last black 360 they had. I don't even want it that much...tempted to flip on Swappa, but that's too much hassle.

Here we go!

Edit again: Taking the band off every single night will get old, fast. I know, you do that with any Android Wear watch, but this band is finicky and hard to remove for some reason. If I do keep it, time to find a metal band with a quick release clasp.

This is good. It means a price drop and updated model will release soon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

You usually sleep with a watch on?

Well touche my friend. I haven't worn a watch in years, so perhaps I didn't think about that...

I haven't been able to touch it because the OTA wouldn't install. Kept saying "charge your device" or something. It's at 90% after 1.5 hrs (was 25% out of the box).

The dead pixel is aggravating from what I noticed earlier. Maybe it's a sign...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Motorola pushed an update to the Moto Connect app for the 2013/2014 phones to add Moto 360 integration, and they've gone totally amateur hour with it.

If you pair an Android Wear device, regardless of make/model, to a Motorola phone, the phone assumes the Wear device is a 360 and uploads the Motorola watchfaces and apps to it.

Oh yeah, in addition to cluttering up the watch, it will crash your watch if you should mistakenly use any of them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Motorola pushed an update to the Moto Connect app for the 2013/2014 phones to add Moto 360 integration, and they've gone totally amateur hour with it.

If you pair an Android Wear device, regardless of make/model, to a Motorola phone, the phone assumes the Wear device is a 360 and uploads the Motorola watchfaces and apps to it.

Oh yeah, in addition to cluttering up the watch, it will crash your watch if you should mistakenly use any of them.

Why would you buy an android wear device that isn't a 360 though?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you buy an android wear device that isn't a 360 though?

Why would you buy a 360 though?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Update. The dead pixel fixed itself...

Just ordered a black pebble steel band. Trip report on Thursday if anyone cares.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

hotsauce posted:

Here we go!

I'm a little ticked that you were able to just waltz in and grab one as they're not supposed to be restocked till Sunday.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

hotsauce posted:

Update. The dead pixel fixed itself...

Just ordered a black pebble steel band. Trip report on Thursday if anyone cares.

The end links on Pebble Steel bands are proprietary, and will fit poorly, if at all, on a 360.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

The end links on Pebble Steel bands are proprietary, and will fit poorly, if at all, on a 360.

Damnit. I thought it was a standard 22". Time to cancel.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
drat- looks like all the iWatch stuff leaked out ahead of the keynote. You guys saw this video, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYzsKbMu-4

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Shipment notification and tracking number for my wear just arrived (play store, Friday order). Paid for overnight so I'll have it in hand [Tuesday]. Impressions to follow, and I'll report battery percentages on Wednesday.

I haven't worn a watch in years, so it will be very interesting regardless.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rocco posted:

drat- looks like all the iWatch stuff leaked out ahead of the keynote. You guys saw this video, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYzsKbMu-4

Was this supposed to be funny?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've failed to find a 360 in a best buy enough times to make myself wait for the watch I really want, the LG.

Good job with your limited, terrible launch, moto. That only works when you don't have superior competition about to roll out their products.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

I've failed to find a 360 in a best buy enough times to make myself wait for the watch I really want, the LG.

Good job with your limited, terrible launch, moto. That only works when you don't have superior competition about to roll out their products.

Its really not all that great. Screen is lower res, its chunky and large and we all know about the battery life.

I just sold mine on eBay for way too much. People are strange.

The buyer is emailing me to ship NOW!! Its 6am here. Please relax.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Its really not all that great. Screen is lower res, its chunky and large and we all know about the battery life.

I just sold mine on eBay for way too much. People are strange.

The buyer is emailing me to ship NOW!! Its 6am here. Please relax.

I'll have mine tomorrow, I should dump it on ebay too.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/ifixit-cracks-open-the-moto-360-finds-smaller-battery-than-advertised/

Oops. We really meant 300mAh...rite guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

iFix it posted:

As for other shortcomings that accounted for a 3 out of 10 repairability score, iFixit found some issues with advertised battery life vs what the device is actually capable of: Talk around the water cooler is that the Moto 360 suffers from an abysmal battery life. Motorola claims 320 mAh. Inside we find a 3.8 V, 300 mAh battery rated for 1.1 Wh of energy. We did some mathemagics, and 1.1 Wh / 3.8 V = 289 mAh, a full 10% less than advertised on Motos site. Were not sure if thats a rounding error or what; we just reports what we finds.

That is straight up bullshit, what the hell Motorola?