Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Strongly recommend a Garmin in general, but the vivoactive 4 is a great call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my spouse got a garmin forerunner 245 and we're having an incredibly difficult time getting her old itunes music onto it using a windows 11 laptop. itunes is telling me that i can't convert most of her music to mp3. is there a good way to go about doing this?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What is the best way to get something on my wrist that tells me if I'm in my target heart rate zones while I'm doing cardio? If it matters, it's indoor treadmill and rowing, don't care about GPS. The only other feature that would interest me is heart rate monitoring throughout the day.

I'm looking around at reviews but there's just so loving many of these goddamn things now. I think the Amazfit Band 5 will do the job, but I can't tell if it will tell me the zones WHILE I'm working out or just afterwards. I'd get a fitbit but the subscription thing gets a loving hell no from me.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Chadzok posted:

What is the best way to get something on my wrist that tells me if I'm in my target heart rate zones while I'm doing cardio? If it matters, it's indoor treadmill and rowing, don't care about GPS. The only other feature that would interest me is heart rate monitoring throughout the day.

I figure most recent Garmin watches have the ability to view your active heart rate during the middle of an activity. I have a Venu 2s, and I'm able to see my heart rate while actively working out. I just start an activity (in my case, Strength or Cardio), and then swipe to see my elapsed time or heart rate threshhold chart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a Venu 2 Plus and while I like it overall, there's a few places it falls short and I was wondering if there's any solutions for them I haven't come across:

1. Lack of turn by turn directions with a small picture of the map. Visiting a new city I hate having to keep my phone out when walking around trying to get places. I downloaded Maps Nav and while it gets me the turn by turn on my wrist, there's no image of the map so if the intersections are a little wonky I still end up pulling out my phone to double check the route.
2. No way to respond to notifications. Okta login "yes it's me" or getting an email and no ability to tap archive or delete. Getting a text message and not being able to mark it as read. I feel like I end up reading every notification twice now, once on my watch, and later on my phone.
3. No easy way to take one of the default watch faces and just add an image in the background. I want to see my cats on my wrist. They have an app to customize the watch face, but then it looks like absolute garbage compared to the OOTB watch faces.
4. I have a Garmin Tacx indoor bike trainer...am I suppose to record my rides on the tacx app as well as the watch? What do people usually do here? Is garmin aware that I'm using both?
edit: 5. No official support for Alexa. It's so close to working...why can't they just officially support it? See additional comment below

That being said...things I love about it:
1. Reading one time login codes that come in via SMS
2. SubMusic app to sync content from my Subsonic compatible music server to my watch, listening to music when I go running without having to carry my phone
3. Recording physical activities & tracking stats with it, of course
edit: 4. NFC payments. It's great being able to tap my watch to pay for poo poo without taking out my wallet or phone (after typing in my PIN, hopefully correctly the first try otherwise there's a nice awkward pause at the checkout!)

fletcher fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 2, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

fletcher posted:

I got a Venu 2 Plus and while I like it overall, there's a few places it falls short and I was wondering if there's any solutions for them I haven't come across:

1. Lack of turn by turn directions with a small picture of the map. Visiting a new city I hate having to keep my phone out when walking around trying to get places. I downloaded Maps Nav and while it gets me the turn by turn on my wrist, there's no image of the map so if the intersections are a little wonky I still end up pulling out my phone to double check the route.
2. No way to respond to notifications. Okta login "yes it's me" or getting an email and no ability to tap archive or delete. Getting a text message and not being able to mark it as read. I feel like I end up reading every notification twice now, once on my watch, and later on my phone.
3. No easy way to take one of the default watch faces and just add an image in the background. I want to see my cats on my wrist. They have an app to customize the watch face, but then it looks like absolute garbage compared to the OOTB watch faces.
4. I have a Garmin Tacx indoor bike trainer...am I suppose to record my rides on the tacx app as well as the watch? What do people usually do here? Is garmin aware that I'm using both?

2. SubMusic app to sync content from my Subsonic compatible music server to my watch, listening to music when I go running without having to carry my phone

Thanks man for this, I am waiting to see the Apple conference in a few days, if the Apple ‘pro’ watch is too expensive the Venu 2 plus is my second option for fitness tracking.

Does it have NFC payment?

How good is the integration with Siri or other voice commands?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Interesting just because I've got Fénix 6 pro and definitely don't have the notification issue. There's an option to dismiss or mark as read for SMS or WhatsApp messages. Wondering if that's an actual difference or you've got a setting you can do it via.

I've definitely got contactless payment on the Fénix but it's only through Garmin pay and that seems to work with a limited set of cards/banks so mine is set up with a Wise debit card I use for travel as an emergency thing in case I need to but anything while out running.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks man for this, I am waiting to see the Apple conference in a few days, if the Apple ‘pro’ watch is too expensive the Venu 2 plus is my second option for fitness tracking.

Does it have NFC payment?

How good is the integration with Siri or other voice commands?

Oh yes the NFC payment is a glorious feature. My preferred way to pay, I totally forgot to include that. I've updated my post to mention it :)

As for the voice commands integration...that's another sore point I'll add to my post. I use Alexa and it's not supported. It will launch the Alexa app on my phone and it will say "connecting to voice assistant" on the watch, launches the alexa app on my phone, responds to the command and completes the action, then the watch shows "could not connect to voice assistant" gives me the screen for how to setup voice assistant, and it launches the app on the phone again... So it sorta works, but annoying enough flow that I don't even bother using it. Apparently it officially supports Google Assistant, Apple Siri, and Samsung's Bixby so I'm guessing those don't have this issue. It's so dumb though, why would it be THIS CLOSE to working but not officially supported enough to actually be usable?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 2, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MrNemo posted:

Interesting just because I've got Fénix 6 pro and definitely don't have the notification issue. There's an option to dismiss or mark as read for SMS or WhatsApp messages. Wondering if that's an actual difference or you've got a setting you can do it via.

I've definitely got contactless payment on the Fénix but it's only through Garmin pay and that seems to work with a limited set of cards/banks so mine is set up with a Wise debit card I use for travel as an emergency thing in case I need to but anything while out running.

I'm using the Messages app from Google on my Pixel 5 for SMS. When I get an SMS the only options I have on the menu on the Venu 2 Plus are: Dismiss, Reply, and Block App. If I hit Dismiss, it clears the notification. Then I go into the Messages app on my phone and the SMS is unread.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

fletcher posted:

I don't have any useful answers for your questions, but wanted to commiserate on this one; they need to update the custom face feature. All the options look like rear end, and (at least the last time I tried it) it didn't work with the always on display (using an Epix gen 2).

C'mon guys, I have some great design ideas here.

quote:

4. NFC payments. It's great being able to tap my watch to pay for poo poo without taking out my wallet or phone (after typing in my PIN, hopefully correctly the first try otherwise there's a nice awkward pause at the checkout!)

After trying a ton of cards, I did finally find one that works with Garmin Pay, and I totally bought a gatorade while I was out on a run today, it was pretty sweet.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I got a Garmin Fenix 7 Solar. It is good. It replaced an Apple Watch 6.

Still not used to being able to use it for long hikes and bike rides on back to back days and only needing to charge weekly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Battery is finally starting to go on my Vivoactive 3 after 3 years, but that means I charge it twice a week instead of once a week.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

rufius posted:

I got a Garmin Fenix 7 Solar. It is good. It replaced an Apple Watch 6.

Still not used to being able to use it for long hikes and bike rides on back to back days and only needing to charge weekly.

I've got a Fenix 6 pro and the only complaint I've got about it is that there's nothing good for managing podcasts on the watch. I've got Spotify but trying to go through the revolutions podcasts is a ball ache. I can scroll 5 episodes at a time and downloading them is hit or miss, sometimes there's a long loading time between the 5 episodes screens. It works fine if you've got a regular podcast and just want the most recent couple of episodes but otherwise...

Happily everything I really want it for works perfectly and the battery life is great. It's also got training plans built in that are pretty good for running. Not sure how well it works for anything else.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

edit: 5. No official support for Alexa. It's so close to working...why can't they just officially support it? See additional comment below

edit: 4. NFC payments. It's great being able to tap my watch to pay for poo poo without taking out my wallet or phone (after typing in my PIN, hopefully correctly the first try otherwise there's a nice awkward pause at the checkout!)

Revising my assessment a little bit here for the first two points I raised:

1. My friend has an older Samsung watch (not sure which one) and the built in navigation on there is sooo much better than the third party crap you have to use on Garmin. The Samsung had a little mini map and everything. C'mon Garmin!!
2. Turns out you CAN respond to notifications, I just needed to swipe up or use the three dots menu. Now I can archive/delete/mark as read from my watch, or respond "yes it's me" to Okta login.

I also got my highest sleep score ever (96) the other day, followed by a 63 the next day. Vacation vs. work week :lol:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

fletcher posted:

Revising my assessment a little bit here for the first two points I raised:

1. My friend has an older Samsung watch (not sure which one) and the built in navigation on there is sooo much better than the third party crap you have to use on Garmin. The Samsung had a little mini map and everything. C'mon Garmin!!
2. Turns out you CAN respond to notifications, I just needed to swipe up or use the three dots menu. Now I can archive/delete/mark as read from my watch, or respond "yes it's me" to Okta login.

I also got my highest sleep score ever (96) the other day, followed by a 63 the next day. Vacation vs. work week :lol:
I assume you've figured it out by now, but you should only need to record on one of your watch or tacx, since both will go into Garmin connect. It's easier to control the trainer with tacx instead of the watch if you need to make any adjustments on the floor, but I use golden cheetah for that, and recording there stays local

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Amazon has the Garmin Forerunner 955 Solar for $450 right now (normally $600). It was up yesterday as well but sold out. Seems to be back again. Ship date is almost 2 months out for some reason though.

I had been eyeing a 255 Music. But $50 more for a 955 Solar was too hard to pass up, even if I probably don't really need the added training stuff.

Edit: Looks already sold out again. Maybe it'll come back like it did before.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 2, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does Garmin have anything new coming out with all of the latest tech (ECG, etc)? I don't think their current offerings are much of an upgrade over my Vivoactive 3. I do like their battery life, focus on fitness, and overall software environment.

Apple and Samsung appear to be limited if you're not connecting with an Apple or a Samsung phone? Pixel watch looks like it's going to shatter constantly from me constantly bumping into furniture and doorways. And despite me being a huge Google mark, I've been burned enough times by first gen Google devices to know better at this point.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think their current offerings are much of an upgrade over my Vivoactive 3.

The back is not made by a nickel heavy alloy so you won't get nasty rashes for starters. I dropped out of the garmin ecosystem due to my wrist looking like a cooked off hamburger after using it daily.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Debating between a FR255 and an Apple Watch 8. I'm pretty committed to iOS, but after borrowing my brother's S6 for a week I was a little put off by its charging cadence and the lack of a specific apps/functions that sold me on an Apple Watch.

As different as the two products are in intention, I was wondering if anyone here could speak to what they really like about Garmins, especially if you switched from an Apple Watch (and especially especially if you could talk about what pain points/missed things from being entirely in the Apple Ecosystem)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Never used an applewatch, so i can't comment on that side, but i chose the fr245m for (1) battery life, because charging my watch every day would give me the irrits, (2) GPS, Music, steps and HR.

I have come to enjoy the lack of touch screen, because gently caress trying to do anything with a touch screen while im running and sweaty. You get used to navigating with the buttons fairly quickly. The workout plans and pace functionality is good and im starting to use them more.

The FR series is not really a "smart" smartwatch though. You cant respond to anything thats happening on your phone, you just get notifications. Different use case than a smartwatch that you can also use as an ok fitness tracker.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Debating between a FR255 and an Apple Watch 8. I'm pretty committed to iOS, but after borrowing my brother's S6 for a week I was a little put off by its charging cadence and the lack of a specific apps/functions that sold me on an Apple Watch.

As different as the two products are in intention, I was wondering if anyone here could speak to what they really like about Garmins, especially if you switched from an Apple Watch (and especially especially if you could talk about what pain points/missed things from being entirely in the Apple Ecosystem)

I am a long time AW user. I switched to a Garmin Fenix 7 recently. TL;DR - if you want a smart watch, get the AW. If you want to track workouts and they include distance (swim, bike, run, hike, etc) then get the Garmin.

I already had a Garmin bike computer so integration between them is nice. Also nice when out hiking or backpacking and can track my trip without needing to figure out how to use GPS for more than 4-6 hours.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
does anybody have recommendations for wearable pedometers that aren't watches? i can't wear watches because my skin is so sensitive, but i want something a little more sturdy that the cheap clip-on pedometers you can buy

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I switched from a Garmin to Apple Watch series 7 when they got super discounted. One thing charging wise is that Series 7/8 have fast charging, I charge mine while getting ready in the morning and it's gets back up to 100% relatively quickly although obviously doesn't compare to the 6-7 day battery life I was getting on the Garmin.

I honestly still haven't found a super compelling "smart watch app" use case but so far the Apple Watch does everything better than the Garmin (sensors, sleep tracking, interacting with notifications, apple health/phone apps are WAY better than the Garmin apps, although iOS 16 does give you more access to the health ecosystem even if you're using a garmin).

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

does anybody have recommendations for wearable pedometers that aren't watches? i can't wear watches because my skin is so sensitive, but i want something a little more sturdy that the cheap clip-on pedometers you can buy

Fitbit makes a couple of clip on variants and I think you can take the bands off of most of their low/mid range stuff and buy clip adaptors for them.

Only my vague knowledge from semi researching a few months ago though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't imagine having to charge my watch more than once a week so Apple Watch is a joke to me.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I switched from a Garmin to Apple Watch series 7 when they got super discounted. One thing charging wise is that Series 7/8 have fast charging, I charge mine while getting ready in the morning and it's gets back up to 100% relatively quickly although obviously doesn't compare to the 6-7 day battery life I was getting on the Garmin.

I honestly still haven't found a super compelling "smart watch app" use case but so far the Apple Watch does everything better than the Garmin (sensors, sleep tracking, interacting with notifications, apple health/phone apps are WAY better than the Garmin apps, although iOS 16 does give you more access to the health ecosystem even if you're using a garmin).

I ended up going with an Apple Watch 8 GPS via Amazon on a 50 buck discount for now and plan on evaluating it for a couple weeks:

- I'm nearby a Sports Basement where I can get a 10% discount regularly on Garmins and a no questions asked return policy
- I shower everyday and charged my Fitbit (when I had it) during then anyways (do people shower with their wearables?)
- I'm not really running/training that hard at the moment, and I figure if I do I could evaluate Garmin after I have a stronger idea of what exactly I'm getting out of an Apple Watch

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I used to shower with my Pebble but, while it came originally advertised as waterproof, I've read other owners of the TWP3 say theirs died after showering or swimming and Mobvoi quickly reneged on that claim, and wouldn't replace ones with water damage. So I dont take any chances and take it off each morning before showering.

Battery life is down to under 2 days or so now, plus the blotch I put on the screen by bumping it hard against something. I'll demolish the pixel watch in hours I can tell already, plus I wouldn't expect it to be very good with google's hardware track record, at least as far as the pixel line. So I dunno what watch to go for next. Still waiting on a no-fitness watch that wont needlessly drain battery but they cant harvest all my information if they aren't tracking everything down to my heart rate. Still kinda surprised some niche kickstarter or something hasn't come along to fill thad void.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I'm pretty sure just about every smart watch on the market with an optical heart rate sensor allows you to fully disable HR tracking. I know garmin does.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I got a Garmin Forerunner 955 and promptly put a little scratch in the screen. Guess I'm a clumsy idiot after years of wearing cheap G Shocks and the like.

I already ordered a screen protector (better late than never). I assume there is no good way to remove the scratch or make it less noticeable? Thankfully it's small and hardly noticable as is, but I can't unsee it now that I know it's there.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

incogneato posted:

I got a Garmin Forerunner 955 and promptly put a little scratch in the screen. Guess I'm a clumsy idiot after years of wearing cheap G Shocks and the like.

I already ordered a screen protector (better late than never). I assume there is no good way to remove the scratch or make it less noticeable? Thankfully it's small and hardly noticable as is, but I can't unsee it now that I know it's there.

Sometimes tooth paste will work. It has a tiny amount of abrasive. For shallow scratches, I’ve buffed stuff out with moderate success.

Or I tell myself that so I’m not so mad at myself.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
that's a good way to remove the oleophobic coating from your screen

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The screen protector often makes a scratch optically invisible.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The screen protector often makes a scratch optically invisible.

Oh, well that's disappointing to hear. I was hoping (based on nothing at all) that it'd make it a bit less visible.

I've never really used screen protectors even on my phones. Am I going to do some sort of damage (eg to the oleophobic coating) if I put it on then decide to remove it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

Oh, well that's disappointing to hear. I was hoping (based on nothing at all) that it'd make it a bit less visible.

....."optically invisible" means you won't see it, did you misread their post?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

butt dickus posted:

that's a good way to remove the oleophobic coating from your screen

Does it even have an oleophobic coating? The Forerunner series is strictly side button controls as far as I know, it's targeted towards athletes and such who often don't have pristine hands during use.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

....."optically invisible" means you won't see it, did you misread their post?

Hah yeah I definitely misread that as saying optically visible, as in it'd increase visibility. Which isn't even a normal way to say that, so you'd think I would have reread before posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

isndl posted:

Does it even have an oleophobic coating? The Forerunner series is strictly side button controls as far as I know, it's targeted towards athletes and such who often don't have pristine hands during use.

The Fenix 7 and 955 have touchscreens now. You can lock out the touch during activities and stuff. The buttons are still there

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thinking of the Fenix 7x because it will do everything I ever want it to do. But the Fenix 6 is half the price....

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thinking of the Fenix 7x because it will do everything I ever want it to do. But the Fenix 6 is half the price....

I only borrowed a Fenix 6 for a couple weeks. While I’m not a big touch user, the Fenix 7 is a lot easier to use because it has touch.

The reason I got to borrow that Fenix 6 was because my friend got a Fenix 7 for literally that reason.

Just my 2c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
You could also compare the Forerunner 955.