Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Still no Vivoactive 5? My Vivoactive 3 is still chugging after 4 years. Just looking for a mid range does it all without trying to be stylish and has modern sensors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anyone else had an issue with a garmin 245 (or any garmin for that matter) where it just wont connect to any wifi networks? Without it connecting to wifi, I cant reconnect/resync my spotify lists, which was half the reason I got this model.

Things I have tried :
1) Reset device
2) Open network with no security
3) WPA2 2.4ghz network with a basic alphamumeric password
4) Remove and add network through garmin connect and then garmin express.

I think it might just be on the way out. Its acting weirder and weirder, like I dont get notifications immediately, like I used to, and sometimes it will just stop counting steps.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

rufius posted:

I only borrowed a Fenix 6 for a couple weeks. While I’m not a big touch user, the Fenix 7 is a lot easier to use because it has touch.

The reason I got to borrow that Fenix 6 was because my friend got a Fenix 7 for literally that reason.

Just my 2c.

I haven't done a compare and contrast but I'm very happy with the button navigation for my fēnix 6 and I'm not sure how much a touch screen would improve the experience. That said I use it almost exclusively for exercise tracking and checking if a notification is worth getting my phone out for.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MrNemo posted:

I haven't done a compare and contrast but I'm very happy with the button navigation for my fēnix 6 and I'm not sure how much a touch screen would improve the experience. That said I use it almost exclusively for exercise tracking and checking if a notification is worth getting my phone out for.

Ya - I think if I’d never owned an Apple Watch I’d probably feel the same. I moved to Garmin because I was hiking/biking/camping more. Not having touch was maddening for me.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
guess this is the place to ask. whats the current state of AR glasses like Nreal Air and such? any cool developments or articles to read? the concept of having what amounts to massive screens in a pair of normal-ish glasses is really cool and i feel like i hear a good implementation is just around the corner every few months.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
I'm completely ignorant on sports wearables: what sort of watch should I get?

I lift for about 1 hour, jog for another hour and then write emails while on excercise bike for another 60 minutes.

I primarily need a watch to help calculate daily energy expenditure. Yes, it's unreliable, but I can adjust for that.

Previously owned Apple Watch and liked it, but having to charge it every day sucked.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ask in the steamdeck thread in games about the nreals, apparently they go together nicely.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Necronormiecon posted:

I lift for about 1 hour, jog for another hour and then write emails while on excercise bike for another 60 minutes.

I primarily need a watch to help calculate daily energy expenditure. Yes, it's unreliable, but I can adjust for that.

Previously owned Apple Watch and liked it, but having to charge it every day sucked.

I recommend an app actually to calculate TDEE rather than a watch. Optical heart rate sensor + bodyweight + duration + a couple proprietary assumptions still doesn't get you very close at all to estimating the energy demands of a specific activity.

macrofactor has been a game changer for me.

Here's a thorough article about the limitations of wearables and estimating energy expenditure

I'm still a fan of sport watches, especially Garmins, for measuring my performance on given activities, which is critical for goal setting and planning training.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Necronormiecon posted:

The Garmin 265 just came out the other day and looks really good. I'll be picking one up to replace this knackered 245M as soon as it lands on Amazon (I have vouchers to use up!) I'm not really fussed about tracking energy expenditure tbh, so dunno if it does exactly what you need. It covers all the basics though, and has onboard GPS and Spotify, which is critical for me cos I ain't taking my phone when I run,, and the HRV-based metrics always seem to be on the money. Garmin's sleep tracking is worthless though, compared to Fitbit, if that matters at all.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got a Garmin Venu 2 Plus and lately it's been disconnecting from my Pixel 7 constantly. I have to re-pair it multiple times a day now. Anybody else having this issue?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I've got a Garmin Venu 2 Plus and lately it's been disconnecting from my Pixel 7 constantly. I have to re-pair it multiple times a day now. Anybody else having this issue?

Hey there was a Pixel Update today that had this on the changelog:

quote:

Fix for issue occasionally causing connected Bluetooth devices or accessories to silently unpair

Yay!

zhar
May 3, 2019

I've never used a smartwatch / fitness tracker before, but I want to try playing with some data in my own program. Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a brand that would be good for this?

The ideal would be an open system where I could upload nicely formatted data from the watch to my computer over bluetooth directly.

Next best would be an app that pairs with it that could automatically shunt exported data onto a cloud service like dropbox, ideally without also sending the app author a copy.

Finally I think there is a way to automate health exports using apple health, shortcuts and something like a firebase backend which would at least be compatible with everything. But maybe some are more designed for this kind of thing?

I don't want to spend a massive amount either, no more than £50.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zhar posted:

I've never used a smartwatch / fitness tracker before, but I want to try playing with some data in my own program. Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a brand that would be good for this?

The ideal would be an open system where I could upload nicely formatted data from the watch to my computer over bluetooth directly.

Next best would be an app that pairs with it that could automatically shunt exported data onto a cloud service like dropbox, ideally without also sending the app author a copy.

Finally I think there is a way to automate health exports using apple health, shortcuts and something like a firebase backend which would at least be compatible with everything. But maybe some are more designed for this kind of thing?

I don't want to spend a massive amount either, no more than £50.

Apple health data can be exported only by an app residing on the phone, there is no backend server. Also there is some extra validation required by apple to be able to access that payload.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

fitnesssyncher has found some good solutions to making health data from a fitness watch more accessible. as far as devices go I would get a used garmin off of facebook marketplace personally

zhar
May 3, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

Apple health data can be exported only by an app residing on the phone, there is no backend server. Also there is some extra validation required by apple to be able to access that payload.

I wasn't too clear on how that would work in my post as I'm just going off a link from a bit of cursory research. I'd set up the firebase myself or maybe something on a raspberry pi if it's reasonably straightforward, I haven't looked into it too deeply. But seems workable unless something has changed in the last couple of years, which is very possible.

webcams for christ posted:

fitnesssyncher has found some good solutions to making health data from a fitness watch more accessible. as far as devices go I would get a used garmin off of facebook marketplace personally

Thanks for both suggestions, the syncer looks good if it can do what I want on free tier, think I should be able to.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
You might want to look at PineTime, totally open source and only $30.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I wanted to get my dad a Fitbit for Father's Day, but all the ones they have now are crazy complicated and seem to require a subscription. I remember when they first came out and they just had five little lights to tell you if you did 10,000 steps, and an app so you could see your progress. I had one, it worked great. My dad's trying to be more active, a simple pedometer like the original Fitbit would have been perfect. I'm not buying him something that also requires a subscription and can get stuck in Golf Mode if you accidentally press the wrong button.

I loving hate living on the downside of the peak of technological progress.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gripweed posted:

I wanted to get my dad a Fitbit for Father's Day, but all the ones they have now are crazy complicated and seem to require a subscription. I remember when they first came out and they just had five little lights to tell you if you did 10,000 steps, and an app so you could see your progress. I had one, it worked great. My dad's trying to be more active, a simple pedometer like the original Fitbit would have been perfect. I'm not buying him something that also requires a subscription and can get stuck in Golf Mode if you accidentally press the wrong button.

Maybe just get him an old-school mechanical pedometer then?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hooah posted:

Maybe just get him an old-school mechanical pedometer then?

Got any brand suggestions? I checked Amazon and then immediately rediscovered that Amazon is full of scam garbage now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gripweed posted:

Got any brand suggestions? I checked Amazon and then immediately rediscovered that Amazon is full of scam garbage now.

No, sorry. I had one that I think I found in my dad's toolbox years ago, but I have no idea what's relevant nowadays. It might be entirely possible that no one makes them anymore, which would be a drat shame.

Edit: I just poked around for a minute online and remembered the major difference between the mechanical pedometer I used a bit years ago and what things like a Fitbit are doing now: the former attempts to measure distance based on how many steps you take whereas the latter just counts the number of steps. Maybe there are mechanical step counters?

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Gripweed posted:

I don't have a Fitbit, but it looks like you don't actually need a subscription unless you want some pretty deep metrics: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/03/fitbit-makes-some-premium-subscription-features-free.html

A quick search of the best inexpensive fitness trackers does seem to return a lot of Fitbit suggestions. I don't have much more advice than that (sorry), but they may still be worth checking out if you can verify that a subscription isn't really needed.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Garmin Vivofit 4 is another solid option

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

rufius posted:

Ya - I think if I’d never owned an Apple Watch I’d probably feel the same. I moved to Garmin because I was hiking/biking/camping more. Not having touch was maddening for me.

It's funny, because not having touchscreen functions was one of the big selling points of my garmin for me. My old Samsung was a right poo poo for having leaves, water drops, items of clothing gently caress with the settings.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can I ask about a regular watch here? I didn't see a thread for them anywhere else on the forums...

I used to have a Timex Men's T49975 Expedition, but it was damaged. Apparently they're no longer for sale, so I was hoping to find the closest replacement.

I have a fairly large wrist circumference, so a large band, or the ability to swap the band, is important.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The Amazfit bands are a solid performing low-end entry. Keeps a charge, does a lot of the basic stuff. It'd be a good solution for a lot of people.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Annath posted:

Can I ask about a regular watch here? I didn't see a thread for them anywhere else on the forums...

I used to have a Timex Men's T49975 Expedition, but it was damaged. Apparently they're no longer for sale, so I was hoping to find the closest replacement.

I have a fairly large wrist circumference, so a large band, or the ability to swap the band, is important.

The watch thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520271

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thanks!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can anyone recommend a watch for runners? I would like to buy one for MY WIFE who runs a few times a week. She's not training for a marathon or anything but likes to track her times and routes on her phone. The phone gps kind of sucks and gives wonky results.

There are so many different garmins and polars and suuntos and poo poo.

I think if I wanted to splurge I might choose a garmin 265s or suunto race or polar vantage 3, but I really think something a bit more casual would be better. But then I'm torn because that means probably giving up a nice screen, or heart rate monitor, or good gps.

The suunto 5 peak seems cool maybe?

Any thoughts? I hate getting sucked into researching tech products but here I am. I've read all the 10,000 word dcrainmaker reviews and I still don't know wtf.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's a pretty mature technology and the new gains on the latest watches are marginal imo. I like garmin because they are reliable, dominate sports watches, and aren't going anywhere. set a budget and get a watch she thinks looks good

the hrm, screens, and gps on the venu and vivoactive series are also fine

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Alright fine I ordered a venu 3s with the gold bezel. At €430 it is more than I wanted to spend but yolo I guess.

Thanks for the no fuss answer.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've got a Venu 2 and before I started running more, it was Fine. Should be good to go.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Let’s say I have a Garmin Instinct and it does what I want it to which is track my hikes and last a long time using GPS mode. There’s really no reason to upgrade is there? I’ve got money to blow at REI and I’m struggling to think of poo poo I need and I’m considering throwing it all at a new watch but it seems like a waste if there’s not much improvement over what I already have.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Let’s say I have a Garmin Instinct and it does what I want it to which is track my hikes and last a long time using GPS mode. There’s really no reason to upgrade is there? I’ve got money to blow at REI and I’m struggling to think of poo poo I need and I’m considering throwing it all at a new watch but it seems like a waste if there’s not much improvement over what I already have.

Fellow Germin Instinct (1) haver here. I will eventually upgrade to the Instinct 2X Solar, but I'm holding out for as long as possible.

If I had store credit with REI literaly right now I'd use it on actual hiking/bike touring gear personally.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I’m thinking of getting a new windbreaker, some first aid poo poo, a helmet for the rockier hikes, and maybe a new work bag. The Instinct has been great and was already a huge upgrade from the Forerunner 35. Seems like it’ll be fine for another year

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
This is a long thread so I'm just going to ask and hope.

My mom is looking for a wearable watch/fitbit like device that does decent heart monitoring and will work with her Android phone. If it can't detect AFib it's useless.

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/atrial_fibrillation.htm

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Don't need location tracking or whatever. Just something that MIGHT see the AFib early and record it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

some Garmin watches have FDA-approved ECG. Here's the list.

ECG is also available on Apple Watch series 4 and later, which doesn't help for Android users.

Latest model Samsung Galaxy watch also has ECG

are you in the US? this feature isn't available in all countries since it is a Medical Device and needs fairly rigorous regulatory approval. unsurprisingly, the FDA seems to be the fastest health authority for approval

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

some Garmin watches have FDA-approved ECG. Here's the list.

ECG is also available on Apple Watch series 4 and later, which doesn't help for Android users.

Latest model Samsung Galaxy watch also has ECG

are you in the US? this feature isn't available in all countries since it is a Medical Device and needs fairly rigorous regulatory approval. unsurprisingly, the FDA seems to be the fastest health authority for approval

Yeah in the US. Thanks! This is good and useful

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I really, really, really hate myself for asking this, but has anyone tried the Echo Frames?

I find myself listening to more and more podcasts and audiobooks and while my Sony Linkbuds are great for that in the office but I oddly feel like Echo frames might be a little less dorky than this:

For basically the same functionality.

Pre-edit: I am not completely insane, I have an FSA and my company reimburses me $2,800 a year for medical expenses, it's use it or lose it, last year I didn't use $1,200, apparently since I am blind if I pop some prescription lenses in them they are FSA and healthcare reimbursement eligible.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

To clarify:

You use Sony Linkbuds to listen to podcasts and audiobooks at work, but worry that they are too dorky, so you are looking into Amazon Echo Glasses because you feel they might be less dorky?

does no one else at your worksite use earbuds or headphones?