Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So will I never get my Time 2 now? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would really like an Android Wear watch that has at least 1 day battery life (ie. 24 hours, not 1 work day, I don't want to have to charge it until bedtime) and is reasonably priced. Does such a thing exist?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

The Android Wear thread might know better than this one.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

poo poo, my bad sorry, I missed that thread in the index. Thanks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

Garmin Vivoactive 3

I gave up on Android Wear and was thinking of picking one of these up today. How's the GPS mode? I go for hikes regularly and would love to use it to track my routes.

Also does it sync to Google Fit by any chance? If not, is the Garmin data backed up to the cloud or accessible from other apps? Like I enjoyed the Google Fit calendar integration

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wonderful, hotsauce you'll always be my tech weiner buddy. I just picked one up and like it already, the app is extremely slick and I'm impressed. It's super light and extremely comfortable and looks great! Very happy with this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really really like this vivoactive 3 so far. My only issues are:

-I really wish the screen was bigger. It reminds me of my old pebble and I like it! Just want it to be bigger, it's perfectly visible in all lighting!
-Ability to use/sync to phone GPS so I don't have to enter GPS battery sucking mode on the watch. Garmin Connect should be able to use google location services and send that to the watch or record it
-More apps. Maybe this will come with time.
-Weightlifting tracking is loving awful. It rarely tracks reps correctly, and the "double tap to advance set" thing is terrible, I had to tap it like a dozen times to recognize two in a row. I'm just not going to use it to track lifting, it's truly bad. Other fitness tracking especially cardio works great though.

One surprise: I read in many places that app notifications were either all on or all off. But, each app notification on the watch gives me the ability to block just that app? They must have added that features after all the reviews I read. Also, the Garmin Connect app is real nice. I can definitely see myself staying in the Garmin ecosystem now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android, Pixel 2 XL

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just spent about an hour figuring out how to get notifications to show up at all.

Uh this took me like 7 seconds and they showed up automatically. What were you doing?!

I have no idea if it even can do turn by turn directions. It's not a full featured smartwatch, it's a fitness tracker with some basic smartwatch functions. Don't try to make it be something it's not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

netcat posted:

Got a vivoactive 3 a week ago and I've been happy so far but then suddenly today it stopped syncing with my phone and now they refuse to find each other. I tried removing the device from garmin connect and resync but nothing. Great quality.

What phone do you have? I've had zero sync issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

netcat posted:

I have a Sony Xperia z5. Yeah it does appear as a regular Bluetooth device and the phone can find it when I try to add it to garmin connect again, but the sync always fails.

Maybe I could try factory resetting the watch.

Honestly, the issue more likely is whatever Sony hosed up on your phones Bluetooth.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Has anyone made an effortpost on Garmin vs Fitbit? I'm looking at the Vivosmart 4 vs the Charge 3. Price and features are close enough. I think the Fitbit is better looking, but Garmin's ecosystem and product range might be more appealing? But Fitbit might be more accurate and have better data features? I need to know more.

I like the looks and feels of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 over anything by Fitbit so that's why I got it. It works great. That's the extent of an effortpost you're getting from me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Can you calibrate it for your stride?

Yes. Not sure if the above person did.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How is setting a custom stride length not "calibrating it to your stride"? What else is there to configure?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You didn't mention anything other than walking, try being clearer next time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I think it's pretty clear when I talk about GPS tracking and race courses that I'm talking about running (nor did I ever actually mention walking prior to saying "you can only do it for walking"), and if it's not then I'm sorry, but you could've just asked for clarification instead of being lovely about it.

I didn't know what you meant, I had no idea that stride length and GPS on these trackers were exclusively for running, and I'm not being lovely about it?? Why are you being so hostile and aggressive?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone's Vivoactive 3 had battery life drop drastically in the last month or so? I used to get ~6 days, now I'm in at 2-3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Known issue, contact them on their customer support section and they will replace it for a new one no questions asked.

Oh no loving way! Are you for real? gently caress. I thought I was hallucinating. Through the official Garmin site?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fitbit released the Charge 3, and a lot of people are upset with it. Ignoring the bunch of people that have factory defects, seems like the majority of folks is flipping their poo poo because the current watch faces don't display the drat date. :psypop:

Jesus loving Christ, glance at it somewhere, there's plenty of date displays all over the place thanks to electronic displays all of the place (car, workplace, commercial districts, random electronic panels outside), and try to use your loving memory for the rest of the day.

Regardless of that, I like my Charge 3. The actual wristband could have been softer silicone, if it were up to me. Like the band of my old Charge HR. The new one tracks close enough to my chest HR, contrary to continuous assertions that Fitbit trackers are poo poo, to be plenty satisfied with it.

I mean, while I don't think it's worth getting upset over, it's not unreasonable to want your watch to show you the date.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sure, I get the idea. But a lot of people are being dramatic as hell about it. I don't know how things are with the Charge 2, but on the 3, the watch faces are downloaded by the Fitbit app the first time you use them (and probably updated from there on). So it should be fixable without a firmware update. --edit: Of course, Fitbit, so expectations and all that...

Also, how were third party bands for the Charge 2 on average? I see a bunch of clones of the sports band for the Charge 3 for cheap.

Definitely not worth getting mad about yeah. I do want the date on my watch, hope that's a quick fix. How is fitbit about updates?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

barkbell posted:

What’s a good fitness tracker? I bought the Apple Watch for its ability to do the strong app but it’s a really underwhelming device. Also I think I’m gonna smash it with kettlebells or barbells or in wrestling.

Something like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 (which I personally prefer and recommend) or the Fitbit Versa are both cheap options that woudl be a great entry into the non-Apple/Wear OS world.

couldcareless posted:

Might also be able to jump on the "free" watch from the new Healthcare provider we are switching to for 2019

uh what

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Then they will sell the user data to some other company to increase revenue, then have a massive breach exposing health data of millions of people, etc

Ah, I see you work in infosec and know to expect the worst :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Garmin Vivoactive 3?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone have a Gear S3 Frontier?

My Vivoactive 3 got smashed in a bike hit and run so I'm looking for a new smartwatch, and figured I should be open-minded and look at all platforms/options. I just really don't want Wear OS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had one but didn't like it because it wants to tie into a bunch of samsung apps and it didn't work well with my non-samsung Android phone

That's one item I was curious about. I don't do a ton of interactions with apps on my smartwatches, but I would like simple notification interaction like being able to dismiss, mark as read, filter, etc. I don't care about interactive replies, voice commands, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I like my enjoy gear S3 frontier. Latest update made battery life pretty drat good. I have used it on a pixel, moto and now a Note 9. Always worked well on those phones. I think I like to so much because no one ever thinks it's a smart watch.

That's the main thing that draws me to it. It doesn't *look* like a typical smartwatch, and looks really great physically.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I ended up getting a 46mm Galaxy Watch and I absolutely love this thing. By far the best smartwatch experience I've had, and the bezel navigation is superb. It's a joy to use. Plus it lasts actual days on a charge, had it on and actively using since 7:30 this morning, it's 7pm now, and it's at 89%!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

2 full days of use and I'm at 70%, this is surreal. What a great watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

minusX posted:

You are connecting to a Samsung phone with it? I wonder how well it works on another company's phone.

No, a Pixel 3. It works normally, Samsung addressed that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

minusX posted:

Oh nice, I had heard of issues previously. Color me very interested. Do you have to download different apps for it?

Yeah it definitely had this issue previously. I had read it was fixed, so that's what led me to checking out this one. The only Samsung thing you have to use is S Health, which is actually a decent app. And obviously the Galaxy Watch/Wearables control and management app which works just fine. Very stable connection, transfers watch faces quickly, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fondue posted:

I'm glad to read this, I've had my eye on one since January. Do you excercise and use it? I read some bad reviews about its ability to track workouts.

Sorry for my slow reply to this!

I don't like wearing a watch at the gym so I don't use it to track those workouts. I have, however, used it so far for both cycling and hiking, and it works just great. Tracks steps, elevation, heartrate, distance, and maps my GPS track of my hike too. It actually auto-detected when I was on my bike and seemed pretty accurate? I always doubt those automatic workout detection things though.

The caveat that the other use mentioned about the heartrate sensor is true though. It's merely "okay". Not sure accurate or fast when reading heartrate on demand. That's one benefit my old Garmin definitely had, that heartrate sensor was amazing.

I charged my Galaxy Watch last night too, it hit 30% and I didn't want it to have issues today at all. But yeah, so that's 4 day battery life to hit 30%. Just incredible for a full-featured smartwatch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm a douchebag so I get about a day and half charge by running watch full brightness and always on. If I leave for the weekend it's cool to know I can make my gear S3 last the entire time without charging.

Also $110 for the frontier S3 this past weekend on Amazon and Costco was a hell of a deal

If you throw it into the battery saving mode where it just shows a basic dim b&w clock instead of a full watch face and widgets, etc, you can squeeze like a week out of it. Samsung is nailing these watches, this is ensuring I never touch Wear again thankfully.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't use a screen protector on my Galaxy Watch, didn't on my vivoactive 3 either. I tend to get the bezel scratched up while my watch screens are untouched. So for my Galaxy Watch I got a bezel cover, it looks great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vivoactive 3 is very good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android 10 on my Pixel 3 has hosed up my Galaxy Watch. There's something weird with the app and service, the background sync plugin keeps crashing and something is causing the watch battery to drain rapidly. Really annoying and not sure what's wrong :(

e: okay definitely not the only one https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/galaxy-watch/heads-android-10-t3964193

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 4, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Forgot to follow up to that. It was the Samsung Pay add-on, which I can't use anyways because my bank doesn't support it. I uninstalled the plug-in, watch is back to normal. Apparently it's incompatible with Q.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wow, people still use Pebbles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I replaced my Pebble Time with a Vivoactive 3. Highly recommend if you're looking for something similar feature-wise with the long battery life. Also currently supported by a vendor haha.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No clue if something like these exist for the Galaxy Watch, but I really would like these apps for my watch, so I don't have to take out my phone:

-Shazam/Soundhound song detection
-Google Maps navigation directions
-Transit app next bus/train times, this one is a pipe dream probably

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

For Google maps directions (walking, driving, and transit)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smartwatchstudios.app.gears3navigation

And the companion app for the watch.

Awesome, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just looked up that new Venu watch and I want one now....