Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was considering buying a Band, but I've wisely switched back to android finally and now there are a variety of watches compatible with my device. I want something that isn't a hybrid/analog watch with a little notifications area, but the main thing for me is media controls. Skipping songs will suffice. I'd rather not spend ~$300. Fitness features aren't necessary. My blood type is gravy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

It sounds like a wear device is what you want. Get an LG G watch for under $150. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll do everything you need it to and has a battery that will last about one and a half to two days.

ahahahahah I never feel more patriotic as a Canadian than when I shop online. $128 on amazon, wont ship here. $189 on amazon.ca for the exact same device.
gently caress me right off

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Pebble steel is $119 right now at bestbuy if you have access to a .edu email.

So you all should buy it. Paid $219 CDN for it today, and I love it so far.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got about 175 hours on the first charge with my Pebble Steel. You should buy one

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had no idea that pebble never made it and sold off to fitbit. I still like my original Steel and I guess owing to the fact that no one else has smartwatches to be jealous of I'm pretty content with it. Theres probably still nothing else out there that can come close on battery life is there?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/01/huawei-watch-gt-reportedly-lasts-14-days-with-sleep-and-heart-monitors/

2 week battery, or one when always on? (how the gently caress anyone can wear a watch you have to turn on to get the time I dunno) Something to finally replace my Pebble Steel? I still get a week out of it. If you plug it in for an hour or so it says 100% and will go to 90 almost immediately, leave it plugged in overnight and you get the longevity. My buddy had one of the Samsung's and it was big as a boulder, and he is a small guy. I could maybe pull off a half big watch but if it can come near to a sensible size and the battery life is for real, I may finally have a viable upgrade on my hands (wrist?)

Is there anything else out there I should look at that can do a weekish always on? I dont need a lot else in the way of features. Gotta be tough. drat I've smacked my wrist off walls and doors so often with my Steel and its flawless.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 2, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do you charge it overnight as I suggested? Because like I said, unplug it shortly after it hits 100 and it wont last. I've had it about 4 years now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats why I always kept coming back to this watch face. Just for pure practicality and functionality, it cant be beat

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My buddy's wife was telling me how her fitbit recently fell to pieces, literally while on a trip. Is everything they make junk, or just pointless?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

seravid posted:

Yeah, while I'm considering a smartwatch, I'm a little worried about the size. I'll try a friend's 46mm (analog) watch tomorrow to get a better idea. Or I could wear a smartwatch by day and a tracker by night :shepspends:

My buddy got one of those big ol Samsungs couple years ago and it was just hulking (especially on a small man). The Pebble Steel is about perfect, too bad they were absorbed by fitbit. I'd love to see it refreshed just exactly as it is, it looks classy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So the Huawei watch 2 has been good so far. 2 day battery as advertised. The out of box watch faces have a basic mode it goes to in inactivity to conserve battery and wakes up on touch or for notifications. I installed facer to get more faces, but it seems none of the faces I install have this basic mode so I'm a bit concerned about the battery. Any thoughts?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Fitbit community forum mods are a special kind of retarded .

We're spoiled, man. Try joining a forum that's not even tech related. I joined a darts forum (cause I'm that weird) and honestly it could be the source of a goldmine. Mod the other day scolds someone for "not being able to read" then spells every other word of his post wrong, including repeated there/their mistakes. And the signatures... Oh the signatures.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fitbit: still garbonzo or? Gf likes the versa cause its ~really pretty~ and she's been jealous of my smartwatch having for some time. What other options are out there besides the apple watch that wont look like some kind of prison retention device on the arm of a tiny 5' woman?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mi is a Xiaomi brand

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wonder how soon the Mi band 4 will become available. Gf has been looking enviously at my Huawei Watch but wants something thats not huge. The price is certainly right and would be a great first step into the smartwatch world. Her birthday is late July.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fitbit's business model is quantifying things you are doing anyway then telling you about it to give you a false sense of accomplishment. Who's surprised their hardware sucks?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Screen protectors on loving watches holy o loving jesus. I must say I'm surprised I haven't demolished this Huawei watch yet, just yesterday again I whacked it off a doorknob (a regular occurrence) and its been no worse for wear. And my old Pebble Steel, well that was invincible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't it funny how awful phones and related tech can be when its a 55 quintillion dollar industry that dominates the entire earth? SHOVEL OUT poo poo TO THE PUBLIC EN MASSE, WHO CARES IF IT WORKS

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only ditched my original Steel because I got the Huawei watch free with my new phone. And honestly, it was cool at first sometimes typing or voicing messages through the watch but I seldom ever really use that poo poo. Though I do use tap almost daily so thats the one thing I would miss.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna hold course for now until breakage or best case scenario, WearOS redeeming itself from the current doldrums it finds itself in

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really hope down the road once bluetooth has been out a few years that they finally figure it out.

ffs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It was sarcasm. My first flip I'm 2005 had bt. I looked it up, did you know it actually began its course to come to existence in 1989?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo. I was set on the Mi Band 4 for the gf for christmas but the global version doesn't have NFC, so no payment options. I'm guessing there is nothing out there even close to that price point that can offer that is there?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its too bad the Hauwei watch 2 isn't a little more snappy, but as the ecosystem is still so primitive with few clear cut leaders, I cant recommend against it. I still get 40+ hours to a charge after 14 months or so

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats all this now?
https://www.timex.ca/browse/smart/timex-ironman-r300-gps/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can't believe there's still nothing out there with no fitness poo poo so we can have the option of battery life. I guess it's cause they really wanna track more than just your vitals

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Versa 2: complete garbage? It's the only one the misses likes the look of. Feel like I've heard nothing but bad about fitbit

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats a good sensibly priced Samsung watch now? I'm on the fence as I cant say how disappointed I am with this S20 but whatever, my current watch is about to die I think.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Neglected to grant access to that function? Check apps-permissions

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vivoactive 4 on sale, boasting week long battery, something I miss from my old Pebble. Should I jump on it? How does it handle notifications and responses compared to WearOS?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf has a Versa 2, it constantly desyncs at home. We were away this weekend and it never happened once (even when she left her phone at one place charging and went somewhere else), happened again an hour after getting home. Router settings? Anybody have any experience/thoughts?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 6, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have my watch too but obv we were together all weekend- though she did forget my charger and thus I wasn't wearing it most of the weekend once it died. Not a whole lot else I guess. I did find a post on fitbit forums, apparently theres a known issue with the android app if you can believe it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I get them all the time as well, great being out in the boonies and every time I drive into the city, halfway in my watch is telling me its time to do some stretches while driving at 120kmph

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I used to shower with my Pebble but, while it came originally advertised as waterproof, I've read other owners of the TWP3 say theirs died after showering or swimming and Mobvoi quickly reneged on that claim, and wouldn't replace ones with water damage. So I dont take any chances and take it off each morning before showering.

Battery life is down to under 2 days or so now, plus the blotch I put on the screen by bumping it hard against something. I'll demolish the pixel watch in hours I can tell already, plus I wouldn't expect it to be very good with google's hardware track record, at least as far as the pixel line. So I dunno what watch to go for next. Still waiting on a no-fitness watch that wont needlessly drain battery but they cant harvest all my information if they aren't tracking everything down to my heart rate. Still kinda surprised some niche kickstarter or something hasn't come along to fill thad void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Too bad they look so lame (and are $450 USD)