Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ryvannis posted:

There isn't one, but it seems like this thread is the closest thing that we have. I'd like an invite.

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Okay that Fitbit surge has me intrigued

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Don't know about nfc but the upcoming Sony android wear watch does have gps

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Chasiubao posted:

I really love my Fitbit Force and I was looking forward to replacing it with a Surge, but now I'm thinking I might want this stupid, stupidly named thing instead.

I have a flex and I'm also considering swapping it out for this. The amount of sensors built in, along with the continuous HR monitor plus built in GPS? With compatibility for iOS, Android as well? I'm impressed Microsoft.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

Just ordered the Microsoft Band - will post pictures when it's here...

Which os are you using? You'll definitely have to come back and give us your thoughts after using it a bit!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I wonder if the fact that even Microsoft has gotten GPS into their fitness band, will Apple include GPS in rev 1 of Apple Watch or are they too far along. Minus Cortana, it looks like it integrates well with iOS and Android, though the jury is still out with the Health program and Google fit.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

As of right now it doesn't do anything with that data as far as I know. They are supposed to be updating the app to include the other data that it collects. Its very much a rev 1.0 thing.

Even if they don't update it (they will) I'm super happy with the app and the band. I also like that I can take the workouts that the band monitors and it puts them right into myfitnesspal with out me having to do anything. Microsoft has also said that they plan to support Healtkit in the near future which will also be very nice.

Hell just the fact that I can see the text message notifications with out the need to pull out my phone is pretty drat awesome.

I didn't say poor but ok.

The data that it doesn't show really isn't super relevant to much I'd just like to see it.

So MS is supporting health kit? Hm. Well I guess that narrows it down to the Microsoft band, Fitbit charge hr or the apple watch for me

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

:pervert:

Does anyone here have a Fitbit Charge or is everyone just waiting on the Charge HR?

Waiting for the charge hr. With my bad knees, running is going to be out for a while so GPS doesn't matter to me much anymore.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I was really considering the Charge HR but I think I'm going to go with the Jawbone Up 3. The Charge just seems like it is venturing in the lovely smart watch territory and I would rather a smartwatch be a smart watch. That and I understand why Fitbit isn't supporting HealthKit or Google Fit but I think I want something a little more open.

Olives, did you already preorder an Up 3?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I don't know if this goes here or in FLC but doing more research on the UP3 and I was completely wrong, it does resting heart rate with a mention of doing fitness heart rate at some point in the future.

So I guess I am going for the Charge HR? Is there another one that I am missing that isn't further into the smart watch territory like the Band or Basis Peak?

Ugh that's pretty lame. I think and I could be completely wrong, that Fitbit took multi sport from the charge HR and it's only in the Surge. Which was a big reason why I was initially looking at it in the first place. To get close to accurate calorie burn stars when doing things like lifting or high intensity workouts.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Three Olives posted:

If you are looking for the Surge Target had them when I bought my Charge HR but it's the same with the Charge HR, it's not "officially out", there is just haphazard stock in some stores.

Walmart has them too. I picked up the charge hr this Friday, and did my first insanity max 30 workout today with it on. Exactly what I was looking for.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Well poo poo, I think the Microsoft band is getting returned. I discovered today its been silently failing to sync for the last week, and the only fix was deleting the app and factory resetting the device. Its synced again now, but I lost a weeks worth of data as a result.

Is the Fitbit surge still in a weird "sort of released" status? I really liked the sensors the Microsoft band had and could live with the form factor, but losing data like that is not acceptable.

I think it's available now at Target and Walmart. When I got my Charge HR a couple of weeks ago, Walmart had bountiful stock of both models and sizes but just the black color.

Only reason I didn't get the Surge is with my knee issues, won't be running much so the onboard GPS doesn't mean much to me now.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjVpCt-V70

Holy poo poo, if they can strike a deal with a carrier where this doesn't have to retardedly juggle two phone numbers and cost $10 a month like the stupid Samsung Watch phone go ahead and charge my credit card for it. God if this had working GPS tracking and a non-poo poo HR sensor I would pay $800 for it right now if the battery lasts a full day and they come up with a functional and stylish sports band so I could wear it running. Oh plus enough memory for Bluetooth headphones.

That looks pretty slick and I'm glad webOS is still getting some love

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I'm seeing some lack luster battery life with my charge hr. Time to email support

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

What do you all think? Is this the device that gets developers on the tizen train? Or no AW and limited phone support (guessing like the other gears, will only work with certain Samsung phones) make it a non starter?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't gotten an SDK going to get apps ported to Tizen. I can see why they would use it for the S2, but it's going to have limited appeal because of that.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

It actually doesn't look too bad. If the app support is solid, they might just have a hit. Bringing the wall down for additional android device support is huge.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Looks like the S2 will go on sale 10/2 (Friday) for 299, and the classic for 349. Pretty decent pricing. Anyone going to bite the bullet and purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Spermanent Record posted:

I was quite tempted by the Gear S3 but this pic on XDA has put me off.

I guess Samsung only care about their PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS when they can be photographed for adverts.

Dang. Hopefully that's just an exception and not a major flaw in design.