Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bumping for the imminent smart watch onslaught at IFA.

moto 360, a round LG watch and yet another Samsung are expected at the least.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just managed to get $176 Cdn + shipping for my Gear Live (despite some scratches on the metal bit) so I'm ready for my third smart watch of 2014. Thought it'd be the 360 for sure but I'm open to other non-ugly options.

I like Android Wear a lot. Works great during work and in the car.

Samsung's custom stuff on the other hand...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Citizen Tayne posted:

For what you've spent on three "smart" watches, you could have gotten a nice regular watch.

I have a Tissot and a G-Shock and have spent $50 on smart watches.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Two wearables announced:

LG G Watch R

"The G Watch R isn't a successor to the G Watch, but rather a premium option for those looking for something a bit more stylish and watch-like, according to LG. The 1.3" display is definitely a bit on the small side, though, with Motorola's not-quite-fully-circular LCD on the Moto 360 measuring 1.5", the GWAR could be at a dimensional disadvantage. While the GWAR's overall display surface area is actually slightly greater than that of the standard G Watch, less of that surface area is going to be usable in many practical scenarios, just because of the way Android Wear looks and functions. It also does appear that the outer band of second tick-marks is in fact a physical part of the watch, not the display, so the G Watch will have a substantial "bezel" (if you can call it that) to it."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ess-steel-body/

Samsung Gear S

"Samsung is taking the wraps off of yet another new smartwatch, but the Gear S (not Solo) has a twist: there's a 3G modem inside. While it may not be especially fast, that means that even when outside the range of a Bluetooth-connected phone or WiFi, it can still send and receive messages or make calls. It has a 2-inch AMOLED screen plus a dual-core 1GHz CPU inside along with GPS, heart rate and motion sensors, all powered by a 300mAh battery Samsung says can last up to two days. It runs Tizen instead of Android Wear, with pedestrian navigation available from from Nokia's HERE and support for Facebook. In the run up to IFA next week Samsung is also bringing the Gear Circle headset (yes, we also figured they'd save that name for a round watch) that pairs with a phone over Bluetooth, letting users hear notifications, use voice commands or listen to music through the earbuds."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/27/samsung-gear-s-3g/

I was interested in the idea of a wider Gear Fit but not without Android Wear. :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The G Watch R seems like the wrong way to approach smart watches. The trajectory of wearables reminds me of how auto makers couldn't figure out what to do with hybrid/electric cars. They looked like silly sci-fi cars at first, then just like regular cars, and now Tesla is trying to create a safe-but-unique, nice looking style.

The Galaxy Gears of cars

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, that's my point. The G Watch R is too similar to current watches, but they will eventually find a way for people to say "hey I'm wearing smart watch" without also saying "look at this goofy piece of plastic poo poo on my wrist."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

And they can call it the Moto 360.

I think I have to see one in person. Which will probably on my wrist, after I buy it. But it could be. It's almost too much of a plain circle.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sony is switching to Android Wear - good move. Watch design is uninspired though

"Sony's been making smartwatches since before they were cool, and with the advent of Android Wear it was only a matter of time before they made another. Enter the Smartwatch 3, announced at IFA today, running Google's new platform specifically for wearables. The third member of the family comes with a 1.2GHz quad-core processor, 1.6-inch screen and Sony's now trademark IP68 waterproofing. Other key features include 4GB of storage, 512MB of memory NFC support, GPS and a 420mAh battery (charged over micro-USB)."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/03/sony-announces-smartwatch-3/?ncid=rss_truncated

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sony also announced the SmartBand Talk, which looks exactly like the Gear Fit but with an e-ink screen and voice control.

"The SmartBand Talk pairs up with an Android 4.4 phone and has a built in microphone, letting you take calls directly from your wrist, access and call a contact, or set a playlist to start playing. Always on thanks to the low-power drawer of its 288 x 128 E-Ink display, you'll get a solid three days of use out of the 26 gram SmartBand Talk before needing to recharge its built in battery. Available with a black or white bezel, the inch-long display is a separate module, letting you take it out and place it in a number of different coloured straps for a more personal feel."

http://gizmodo.com/sony-smartband-is-an-e-ink-wristable-that-works-with-a-1630042908

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

And of course the one everyone's waiting for, the Asus ZenWatch!!!

http://www.asus.com/Phones/ASUS_ZenWatch_WI500Q

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

G Watch R hands on. Can't decide what I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTL5Hfhgec

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh I still hate that bottom bezel. I sold my Gear Live in anticipation of this but I am not 100% sure I will pull the trigger because I know I'll never be ok with that, and we're seeing glimpses of better designs already.

I hated the Gear Live's giant bezels too, but at least they were symmetrical.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

incoherent posted:

e: the death by notifications on the phone and watch does look to be annoying as gently caress.

You can block notifications from specific apps plus easily swipe down on the screen to mute.

Looks like the 360 won't be available in Canada at the same time as US. Sigh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Early 360 reviews seem a bit disappointing. Bad battery life and the screen turns completely off if you turn off the battery-killing ambient light sensor, worse screen quality than Gear Live, and no metal bands available at launch. Will be $50 extra for metal later on.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

smackfu posted:

I like the general aesthetic, but it's a little too solidly thick for my tastes.

I think the G Watch R is my frontrunner now. The more videos I look at the more I like it. LG did it a disservice with those horrible initial photoshopped photos. Plus this is my current watch so obviously I'm ok with that style

I miss Android Wear. :( Dammn yooooou Motorola!!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

Two (Verge and WSJ), but Marques Brownlee said his was fine, and he is like tech Jesus.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tech Crunch says battery lasts "half a day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNCdPTc6Is

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mister Fister posted:

"With heavy use"

I can't imagine what heavy use is. It's just Google Now on your wrist. Unless they were checking their heart rate every 30 minutes or something.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

incoherent posted:

The vicious circle of

"hey what is that?"
"A moto 360, it does all this stuff"
**give 5 minute demo, showing features on the watch and phone**

Repeat for everyone you encounter and you get a 45min runtime.

Ha, even with my Gear Live I was doing this all the time at work. Every time I'd point to something it'd come up. Definitely not a good choice for shy nerds.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This cheesy LG video makes the G Watch R look pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGx0_ChcD9A

Bit of a dig on Moto with the "perfect circle" intro.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You usually sleep with a watch on?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Apple Watch (not iWatch) has some interesting technical stuff - nothing revolutionary - but visually it's bottom of the barrel like the first g watch.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 9, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Turnquiet posted:

It keeps the screen off unless you raise your wrist, just like the rest. Doesn't setting that on the 360 fix its battery life problems? 360 also doesn't look like a samsung product, so its got that going for it too.

The Moto 360 is the only Android Wear watch that needs to completely turn off the screen. All the others last at least 24 hours with constant clock display.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have no intention of buying an iPhone but I was hopeful they'd at least push the style side of wearables forward. If anything it makes me concerned about smart watches being a thing five years from now. I personally love them, as is obvious by my post count in this thread, but they'll stop making them if the sales are terrible.

edit: this is the Apple Watch's "wireless charging" which looks more like the magnetic dock LG uses

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 9, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm not, the 360 looks much better than the LG watch when they're side by side.

I got an email from Motorola asking if I wanted to refund my purchase because they put the wrong colors on the order page last Friday.

It's interesting what a difference a slightly different photo can make

Also note that to make it fair, it should be a completely blank screen against the G Watch R's dormant screen (or both showing active screens).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mustache Ride posted:

I wasn't talking about the screen, I was talking about the way it looks like a cheap-rear end sport watch with the humongous bezel.

It looks like something that costs $19.99 from Academy, even if the screen is nicer.

Fair enough if you don't like that style. I don't mind it (wear a non-90s g-shock right now) and prefer a better screen/battery.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tech Jesus hath spoken, seems very fair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DOUSGGw10

Also pretty much confirmed that it isn't for me.

On a side note, why do all tech reviewers have such dainty wrists? I didn't realize how much smaller it was than the Gear Live, which fit me perfectly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wonder if being bought by a Chinese company is the reason why the internals are so lovely. The screen/processor decisions are baffling.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Makes it harder to wait for the G Watch R, but of course it's still not available outside the US, so that's that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Telus at least will be selling the 360 in Canada on Oct 31 according to mobilesyrup.com.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Caved and bought a limited edition Moto 360. Battery improvement issues + watch faces that minimize the flat tire + G Watch R marketing going silent, seemingly a long way away + ebayer selling it for a reasonable price to Canadia made it easier.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^^ it's not ugly, just very plain.

api call girl posted:

It's the stainless steel Moto 360 with the dark gray leather band from Best Buy. No longer available, now the stainless steel Moto 360 has a light gray band.

Oops I guess I got the latter. Didn't realize they had two greys. Luckily I bought it because I liked the look, not to get a limited run.

Fully expecting G Watch R news on Monday now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally got it. Seller was actually honest with customs so it cost an extra $50. gently caress honest people!!

Here's how it looks on someone who isn't a frail little girl.

Very happy with the build quality. My Gear Live was a bit embarrassing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

Android Central is saying iHeartRadio for Wear is dropping on the 15th, I can't comprehend why anyone would go to ClearChannel for personalized internet radio but since the 15th was the rumored release date for the next big Wear upgrade that adds some new evidence for it.

It's round, that's interesting I guess, I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch which gets a day+ at full brightness with always on screen.

I think you need to see it up close in person. The attention to detail is really impressive.

I'm really disappointed by "ambient mode." It still turns the screen completely off all the time, which I hate. The tricks the watch has to do to get 12 hours out of the underpowered battery is by far the worst part. I was at 22% after 7.5 hours today.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Argyle posted:

Did you get the software update? In settings, you should have Software Version 4.4W1, tap it and it should show build# 1.0.1.144822. With Ambient off, I'm getting two full work days out of my 360. Heck, yesterday my battery only dropped to 77% between 9 AM and 9 PM.

Yes but I was using the gently caress out of it as one tends to do the first day. I also need ambient mode. Luckily screen turning on seems pretty consistent, unlike my Gear Fit (45 degree angle for full screen, flat for ambient).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Ambient doesn't make sense because the time doesn't update

Seems to be the right time for me? I just watched it change in ambient right now.

Step counter seems better than the Gear Fit/Live too. Tested it today on my favourite beach path and got about 25% fewer steps than previously.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 11, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Moto 360 got its first real test today - one of my 12.5 hour shifts. All I can say is luckily I have a short commute, because I just got home - 8am to 9:30pm - with 14% remaining. Any less would be unacceptable, considering I sometimes drive downtown after work and like to use the watch to skip songs without looking down.

That's with ambient mode on, a black watch face, and I'd say about 30 texts received and about 15 voice texts sent out. No other use besides looking at the time, which I have to do a lot. I'm still concerned since I could easily use it more.

Worst case scenario is I'll get a Qi charger for work, but charging my watch during the day (not at the desk a lot) is not fun and shouldn't be necessary.

My Gear Live once lasted two full work days when the micro usb fell out of the lovely charger thing and never charged.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^^^I thought the flat tire was a dealbreaker but now I can't imagine the big bezel trade off. Looks better in person and with some of the watch faces that work around it.

Got tired of the stone grey band already so I dyed it. It soaked it up easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Ambient mode with a watchface that updates weather kills my watch. Stock watchface I'm fine. I'm calling bs on your watch being able to do always on and last the day unless you're not taking about the 360. It kills mine in hours

I do use a stock face (see above) which supposedly helps. I dunno why I would lie - the battery was super important to me and I didn't buy one until all the claims of the update fixing it.