Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

FormatAmerica posted:

When I don't use the device, it's battery lasts a whole lot longer!

Time and hopefully software updates will tell, I think this is the next Xoom. At least your wife will love the dual single core tegra 2 TI OMAP chipset.

e: fixed due to not knowing bbcode well enough to pull off referential comedy

This is exactly why I'm putting a hold on buying this. Buying first-gen is just awful (Xoom was the worst thing ever) and even though its tempting, after a few days of what I'm sure will be plenty of angst about lovely battery/speed, I will regret the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oh god with this apple watch disappointment my craving to get a 360 is coming up again.

odd question, when would you think that they would start selling 360s on Amazon? They sell other moto phones, but I'm not sure if they count since they are selling them as part of their mobile division.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just pulled the trigger and bought the 360 through Amazon Warehouse Deals. It arrived today without a charger. Anticipation :argh:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

No access to other Qi chargers?

Nah, I never caught on to wireless charging. I don't have a problem with plugging in wires and I heard that it's slower than the turbo charge I get with my phone.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

Has there been any word about a 360-2?

I procrastinated so long about getting a 360 because of its downsides, that now I'm thinking I'll just wait for the next generation of Wear devices...

There were the leaked photos of the 2nd gen model that showed the lugs being moved outside the watch and no change on the flat-tire screen.

Otherwise I was on the same boat as you but then I bit the bullet and bought the silver one. It's nice, but the battery life sucks unless you really know how to manage app use/background use and other stupid quirks (if you turn on GPS on your phone, the watch battery dies at x2 rate). It's slow at times, and Android Wear is definitely not useful yet other than a more expensive Pebble. But it's really, really good looking.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hearing stories like you guys is what made me get the 360 in the first place, which is why I got so upset when I got poo poo instead.

Maybe I have to give it a few more weeks, or my Note 4 hates non-samsung wearables. Or I have to reset it, or something. I dunno.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm returning the 360. Maybe my phone sucks, maybe I got a defective one, but whatever the case it's just not workable.

1. It loses connection often, for no apparent reason. This sucks because obviously it renders it useless for notifications, but also it occasionally happens without the watch even recognizing it. So I could be using an OK Google command and it would take a minute or two to realize that it has no idea what I'm saying because it's not connected.

2. Battery life is poo poo. From what I've gathered, I'm special and unique because it sucks compared to everyone else here. Even with airplane mode on, ambient mode off, it has an (estimated) time of less than 20 hours, a far cry from the 2 days that people seem to be getting. It also gets warm randomly, which is probably where all the power is going. This is also after I removed literally every app apart from Wear Battery Stats, which would be ironic if it was causing my battery woes. I even reset the watch to maybe fix it, but instead that actually made it worse. -10%/hr on airplane mode, everybody?

3. It's really... not that useful. My pebble did the same thing in a not-as-nice package with a better battery life, which made it basically worry-free. I'm all in for the second generation of Wear devices, and maaaaaybe even the G Watch R. Maybe with the next version, it will become more useful. It's a massive shame because the watch is legitimately beautiful and I wouldn't mind wearing it just as a watch, if I had any taste in regular watches.

I'm also very, very cautious about first generation devices, especially Motorola ones. I'm in massive loving idiot that sprung for the Xoom when it came out, and that was literally The Worst Thing Ever. That was too much money down the drain, and I'm anxious to avoid the same fate with the 360. Luckily it's still within the return window, so nothing is lost :unsmith:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think the Apple Watch looks great for an Apple Watch. It doesn't look like a normal watch, and when viewed through that traditional lens it's awfully ugly. But they weren't in the market to make a watch that happens to be Apple made, they were in the market to make their own take on the watch. And they chose the square form for that, because while a circular timepiece makes sense for telling the time, squares make more sense for displaying information as we've come to expect it.

I'm going to stay with circular timepieces/smartwatches for the time being, because I would like my smartwatch or whatever to look like a standard, traditional watch. Some people don't, or some people like the design of Apple's (or even Pebble/Asus/whoever makes square smartwatches) more. That's their choice :capitalism:

i tried the apple watch in the store and holy poo poo it has so many features and drat it's complicated. i can bet 70%+ of the people who buy it won't use any feature other than the clock

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
A lot of what constitutes "cool" in terms of fashion (which is what watches are, fashion) is the branding. A watch could be the most amazingly sexy thing in the world, and the most functional, but if it's made by Microsoft, Motorola, or some other "uncool" company it doesn't count. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it takes an extraordinary amount of time and effort. You can't make uncool products on the side as you sell your badass cool product, everything you do needs to backup your claims. Motorola, Huawei, Asus, Samsung, and other AW companies don't make only "cool" products.

If you were focused on branding, would you buy a watch from a company that also makes refrigerators? Or a company that used to make cable boxes? Or would you like to buy from a Swiss company that has literally making classic watches for centuries? Apple is in the unique position in that they have this wide product variety but they are also pushing the fashion aspect while making laptops and phones. Of course, they have more clout because many people think that macbooks/imacs/iphones are "cool" and "fashionable". Whether they will succeed in pushing their designs into fashionable mainstream remains to be seen (they will succeed imo because :money: and branding).

To say that AW had a chance to be "cool" is difficult. I think the Moto 360, Huawei Watch, and even the ZenWatch were cool and fashionable. But they didn't make it because it isn't cool to be wearing a watch made by any of those companies.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

blugu64 posted:

How can the Huawei watch be 'were cool' and 'didn't make it' if it's not even out yet?

It's a Moto 360 that's thicker (bad) but has a fully-round screen with not-GWR bezels. I think it looks good.

And it's not going to make any more waves than the 360/GWR/anything AW did. Maybe if they made it $150 it might make some traction in China, but it's going nowhere.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

butt dickus posted:

In what world do you live in where thickness refers to diameter? Logikv9 is wrong, though. the 360 is 11.5mm and the Huawei watch is 11.3mm thick.

I take it back then. drat in those close-up pictures it looks so thick, though :smith: If it really is thinner (and generally smaller) I might actually have to look into it, as long as the price is right.

It'll still fail for the same reasons nobody is buying [insert AW watch name here].

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Android wear thread, apple watch thread, and then a fitness tracker/wearables that aren't android or apple thread. And of course a Pebble thread :allears:

Or is that too much?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Go nuts with your AW talk: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TraderStav posted:

I clicked this thread expecting it to talk about AW, but it actually was about AW.

AW will now be known as AnWear. Frank Underwood would be proud.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
There is an Apple Watch thread already (more like the prediction/anticipation thread but now it's the main thread), a Pebble thread, and a Wearables thread, which had comprised of both fitness trackers, Android Wear, and everything in between. I made a separate thread just for Android Wear, which seemed apt given that there is already separate threads for every facet of Android (tablets, apps, phones). This thread would just be for fitness trackers and everything else...?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
got a gear s2 for 100 refurbished and it owns

too bad :samsung: but it's otherwise incredible

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
turns out this refurbished gear s2 is actually the t-mobile data-enabled version. which owns in that it was cheap and the battery is bigger, and with me not using the actual data features it just gives me more battery life

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
went for the galaxy watch sale because the battery life was simply too good and it sounds like it'll last me forever, or until i get samsung'd and the bezel pops off or something

using it for a few days, the battery life is stupid amazing even with ambient display. too bad it's limited by tizen and all the apps are complete garbage. it's really just a good looking and expensive notification machine with minor app functionality on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

seravid posted:

Amazing is not the word I'd use. Serviceable, more like. The watch had 10% left this time when it passed the 2-day mark, not enough to get through the night. I wasn't expecting a week considering my use case, but three days would've been nice.

Glad I didn't pick the 42mm, I'd have to charge it daily for sure.

as with all tech stuff, your mileage will vary. I can easily hit 4 days but that's my current use case. either way it shoots past the daily charge required watches, like fossil or apple

it just feels good to go about your day knowing your watch won't be at 15% battery at 7pm