Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

kitten smoothie posted:

Google launched a site with a demo video of Glass and what looks like some screenshots.

http://www.google.com/glass/start/

I would love to know how it's going to be connected. Does it tether off a cell? Does it have its own LTE radio? If so then wouldn't you also need a contract with it?

I'm sold pretty hard already, but tell me more google!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

kitten smoothie posted:

I got Glass on Friday. I had it shipped to me so I did not get to go through the whole special pickup event where they hand you a glass of champagne or whatever and give you a personal setup and a pat on the back out the door.

First impressions:
  • It's really, really light. It also does not feel like the right half (the electronics side) is trying to fall over.
  • It took a little bit of adjustment to fit right, but once you have done so, it's comfortable. This is where the in-person setup probably comes in handy. The frame is strong but bendy and you can/must bend it to fit your head. If it hurts to wear it (mainly if the speaker module is drilling into your head) then you probably have it sitting too low and need to adjust the nosepiece.
  • The angle wake feature seems like it could use some adjustment. The default 30º angle is too high and you look goofy trying to trigger it. 20º is too low and I trigger it just nodding in conversation or the like. I haven't found the sweet spot yet so I just turned it off.
  • Photos look pretty good in daylight or well lit indoor places. It's a little blurry in low light but with no flash and fixed focus, that's probably to be expected.
  • Battery life is nothing marvelous. I spent all weekend goofing around with it so I haven't really figured out what "normal" battery life is like. It got through a workday today without dying.
  • The included sunglass attachments look stunningly goofy and that says a lot considering I'll fully grant that Glass itself looks pretty nerdy.

I've had some fun with the API thus far and I'm looking forward to making some stuff for this.

Now you have to post yourself wearing them so we can all mock you.

Do you live in a city or a small town? What's the reaction you've got going out with them?